Author Topic: So who is going Ice fishing wednsday  (Read 3696 times)

Offline hardysf

• Team IceShanty Regular
So who is going Ice fishing wednsday
« on: Nov 30, 2006, 06:15 PM »
Take a look at the 10 day forecast folks. almost 120 straight hours of below freezing for Angola Indiana. None to little snow also. Wooohooo.

Offline Rufus

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: So who is going Ice fishing wednsday
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2006, 05:58 AM »
After pushing Grandpa out onto the channel I will definitely be in tow. I just took my stuff out of the garage attic last night and put the boat in storage position (notice I said "storage position'' and not stored, it can be taken out at a moment's notice ;)). If the wind doesn't blow too hard there should be at least a couple inches on a few of the channels around here. God Bless and Good Fishin'

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2006, 07:07 AM »
I don't think it will happen but I wish you luck. I know you guys freeze up sooner than we do but I think Wednesday is pushing it. I hope I'm wrong!
Greg
Fish on!

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2006, 07:48 AM »
I went back and looked at my old posts from last year.  My first time on the ice was Dec. 10. I then went back and looked at the high and low temps from last  year.  It took about 10 days of cold weater for the ice to form.  Which is about what we have coming our way now.  The "expected" lows this time are about the same, other than a couple times when it got into single digits last year.  My first time last year was on a lake, and the ice was a good 4 plus inches.  So I am thinking hopefully by Dec. 9 or 10 there will be somewhere with safe ice, all I need is 2 inches, so there should be somewhere.

I am going to keep a close eye on the forcasts, more than likely take 12/8 to 12/15 off of work, for my last vacation of the year I try to save for first ice.

Jimmy, I know you are always on Summit early, if there is ice, I would love to come down again and get some early ice gills, if you can, keep me informed.  I would appreciate it.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2006, 08:09 AM »
Ill let ya know Bruce when were on,as long as you dont put that gold lookin thing on my tailgate again........lol...... .......hopefully Ill be gettin ahold of you SOON.....

Jimmy

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2006, 08:11 AM »
Bruce
I am down to 1 day left to take off from work until next year. My last day at work this year is the 23rd. Then I am off till JAN 2nd. Hopefully get ice somewhere in there.
Greg
Fish on!

Offline The Darkness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2006, 08:50 AM »
Bruce
I am down to 1 day left to take off from work until next year. My last day at work this year is the 23rd. Then I am off till JAN 2nd. Hopefully get ice somewhere in there.
Greg
I've got 12 vacation days left before the end of the year, a ton of sick days, and 4 weeks vacation going into the kitty again on Jan 1.
 ;D

WORK is that annoying time between FISHING TRIPS

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2006, 11:25 AM »
I've got the same kitty as you Jan 1 but I only have 1 anytime vac day, and then i get paid for a week and a day For the holidays. They won't let us carry days over till the next year. Use em or lose em!
Greg
Fish on!

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2006, 11:33 AM »
Unfortunetly I cant say I am goin...Hey HArdy my dad lives in Clarkston...Hes been tellin me theres alot of lakes over there...any with some walleyes???

flockshot

« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2006, 11:42 AM »
theres a ton of lakes in this area tommyboy...and yes some have eyes in them..but alot of people guard that info closely.

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2006, 12:51 PM »
yea thats what I am hearing...a couple people on here have been PMing me and sayin they are gonna invite me out....I really cant wait...

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2006, 01:37 PM »
I dont care how cold it gets,with 40mph winds we wont get ice fellows............... ...Lye wind lye

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2006, 08:43 PM »
Ill let ya know Bruce when were on,as long as you dont put that gold lookin thing on my tailgate again........lol...... .......hopefully Ill be gettin ahold of you SOON.....

Jimmy

I actually think it makes the truck look nice, probably adds about $5k to the value of the truck.

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2006, 08:11 AM »
If you're going fishng Wensday,you better fill you're truck or car up and head north,and take an extra 150.00 for gas to get home,if we could just get a base ide feel better,come on guys start doing some ICE DANCES................ ..

Offline alan street

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2006, 08:56 AM »
hey jimmy how far north u think

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2006, 01:33 PM »
I know it's not going to happen by Wednesday, I just hope by the weekend there is something.  I have until noon on Tuesday to decide if I want the following week off.  I would hate to take it off and have no ice, but also would hate to take the week off after that and miss out on first ice if we do get ice this coming week.   

Offline Railroaders72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2006, 07:05 PM »
I live in Garrett and usualy drive to Silver and Big Turkey to fish. What lakes/channels tend to freeze first in the Steuben area? I cant wait to get out, I got my bucket down yesterday.
Lower your standards, up your odds!

Offline crappie_catcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2006, 01:11 AM »
It sure would be nice to be able to go wednesday !!!

Offline bronzback

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2006, 07:11 PM »
I was fishing last year by Thanksgiving just northeast of Big Turkey, but the weather was different than this year.  I agree, with all the wind there won't be much ice around that area by Wednesday.  I just drove from southern IN to Northern IN where I live and only saw puddles iced over.  I don't even remember seeing any good sized ponds with ice on them.  The wind is hampering the ice development.  I will hope for the best.

B

Offline Rufus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2006, 08:35 AM »
Grandpa and I did a drive yesterday evening to all the "spots" that ice up first here in Steuben County. We did find one pond that was completely locked up, but not one we can fish. The one place that almost always locks up first had a skim out for about 5 feet and the wind was keeping the rest open. We need one full cold day without the wind and I believe we will be on hard water. I did see that we are in for a slight warmup next week ,but nightly temps are still supposed to be in the teens. We will do another check tomorrow and I will let everyone know the results. God Bless and Hopefully Good Fishin'!

Offline hardysf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2006, 12:38 PM »
There is a pond on the Tristate University campus that is completly locked up. Its only 14 degrees in Angola today.

Offline Rufus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2006, 07:42 AM »
I saw that hardy. I think it was almost covered on Sunday. I live about 1/4 mile from the golf course. If I get out of work early enough this afternoon I will do an area survey and report on it tomorrow. It doens't look good to hold the ice though forecast says warmer by the weekend. Looks like the muzzleloader is gonna have to come out. I would rather fish than hunt, but beggers can't be choosey. God Bless!

Offline wrightap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2006, 10:40 AM »
 Boy if I didn't weigh 265lb I would be on a pond today.  Had darn near 3 inches but with no one else with me didn't venture to far out at all.  Oh well maybe it will grow a little bit more today/tonight and I will find someone to go with me tommorrow. Adam 
Adam

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2006, 01:48 PM »
I went out and checked the ice on Lake George in Hobart last night, there's an inch and a half. I was on the ice last year on Dec. 9th. I was only in about 2 feet of water, but standing on the ice!! There should be no problem wetting a line by Wednesday. Hey Darkness, give me a shout if you're interested. I'm going to check on a few golf course ponds this afternoon. Hope the 40 degree temps forcasted for next week stay away!! Be careful out there fellas. C-ya on the ice. Crappie Rob
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline brawler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2006, 07:33 PM »
I saw two ponds out in front of an industrial park here in indy yesterday, that were locked up.  When I saw that they were froze completely over, I just about flipped. :P

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2006, 05:57 PM »
Hey CrappieRob, is Lake George all iced over or just in some spots? Last year Darkness and I were on it during the first two weeks of Dec as I remember. Doesn't seem like it's been as cold this year yet. Any reports about Lake George I'd appreciate!

Offline The Darkness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2006, 07:24 AM »
Hey CrappieRob, is Lake George all iced over or just in some spots? Last year Darkness and I were on it during the first two weeks of Dec as I remember. Doesn't seem like it's been as cold this year yet. Any reports about Lake George I'd appreciate!
If it is we better sneak on fast before the warm up they are calling for, or we'll have to set the shanties up on the boat..... ::)

WORK is that annoying time between FISHING TRIPS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.