The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Loring Pack Basket  (Read 3353 times)

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
Loring Pack Basket
« on: Feb 06, 2023, 06:46 PM »
So after many years I have decided to upgrade on traps and pack basket.  I have a set of five Moosehead/Thompson style traps that I purchased new back in the late 1970's.  They have been and are still great/reliable traps.  I can't do it all at once but did buy two new 31" Jack Traps this year and will probably buy three more next year.  Have wanted a Loring Pack Basket for a long time.   Jack Traps in Monmouth is sold out.  Loring direct in Old Town is $165.00 for the 28" Pack Basket. Found a great deal on Loring 28"pack Basket at Kittery Trading Post with regular price of $149.50 and if you use discount code of "FEB15" you get 15% off.  There is an $8.95 shipping cost and state sales tax added, but considering it is an in stock item, I think this is a good deal.  15% discount code offer ends on 2/12/23.  So if you really are looking to upgrade your Pack Basket this may be a good move for you.

Tight Lines!
EmeraldShiner

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Loring Pack Basket
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2023, 06:51 PM »
So after many years I have decided to upgrade on traps and pack basket.  I have a set of five Moosehead/Thompson style traps that I purchased new back in the late 1970's.  They have been and are still great/reliable traps.  I can't do it all at once but did buy two new 31" Jack Traps this year and will probably buy three more next year.  Have wanted a Loring Pack Basket for a long time.   Jack Traps in Monmouth is sold out.  Loring direct in Old Town is $165.00 for the 28" Pack Basket. Found a great deal on Loring 28"pack Basket at Kittery Trading Post with regular price of $149.50 and if you use discount code of "FEB15" you get 15% off.  There is an $8.95 shipping cost and state sales tax added, but considering it is an in stock item, I think this is a good deal.  15% discount code offer ends on 2/12/23.  So if you really are looking to upgrade your Pack Basket this may be a good move for you.

Tight Lines!
EmeraldShiner

I took advantage of the same thing to pick up some auger blades and a couple of jigging reels.

Offline mzhoward

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2023, 05:49 AM »
Please define “Moosehead Traps.”

My father and mother are from Greenville and Rockwood and I have fish my whole life with “Black traps” which were sold out of the guide and flu shop in Greenville in the 80’s and 90’s.

I called six years ago and asked the woman who picked up if she knew who made them.  She replied, “ My husband made them.”

I said, “well they are some of the nicest traps ever made.”

In laconic maine fashion, she merely said, “I agree.”

Are these Black traps “Moosehead” traps?Have three pieces of wood that fold out to an X across the hole holding up the mast, are tall with big flag. Similar to “Bob” traps made by jack traps except with a simpler mechanism that gives wind flags to the uninitiated.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2023, 08:31 AM »

My father and mother are from Greenville and Rockwood and I have fish my whole life with “Black traps” which were sold out of the guide and flu shop in Greenville in the 80’s and 90’s.

I called six years ago and asked the woman who picked up if she knew who made them.  She replied, “ My husband made them.”

Are these Black traps “Moosehead” traps?Have three pieces of wood that fold out to an X across the hole holding up the mast, are tall with big flag. Similar to “Bob” traps made by jack traps except with a simpler mechanism that gives wind flags to the uninitiated.

Among the best Maine traps of the 80's were Moosehead's, Thompson's, and Superiors.  All were stamped with names but none were black.  Still my go to traps!  The only popular trap from that time that I can think of that were black were Continnentials, but plastic.  Hope you come up with the name, curiousity is peeked. :tipup:

Offline CW2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2023, 08:59 AM »
Let me know what you do to keep the middle organized.  I picked up a loring this year, love it so far, but the middle is such a yard sale trying to get things out of it, especially when everything I need falls to the bottom.  I've been trying to find something like those old Olin flare containers, but if there's a better way I'm all ears.

That's still a good price though.  I had called them directly earlier in the season and between labor and materials he was working like crazy to get them knocked out so glad to see people have been able to find them.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2023, 09:27 AM »
Let me know what you do to keep the middle organized.  I picked up a loring this year, love it so far, but the middle is such a yard sale trying to get things out of it, especially when everything I need falls to the bottom.  I've been trying to find something like those old Olin flare containers, but if there's a better way I'm all ears.

That's still a good price though.  I had called them directly earlier in the season and between labor and materials he was working like crazy to get them knocked out so glad to see people have been able to find them.

I love the Lorings, even though plastic isn't traditional. Very durable though. Same as you, I tried several things to make sense of the rats nest in the middle. I didn't think of the flare containers, but tried short sections of 6" PVC pipe with end caps. Did not try 4" as my hand can't get in there very far. One end glued, the other relieved to make removing the cap easy. I'm still not satisfied, but maybe it will help you.

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2023, 09:49 AM »
I really appreciate the tradition and craftsmanship and buying local for the Loring. Those are really nice. Thanks for the link and the discount code.
I almost ordered one last night since my old basket is toast and I've been using a 5 gal. bucket.
But I also remembered the frustration of using a basket. Especially a deep one.
So I changed my mind and will probably buy one of these three. I like the idea of being able to access things from the side as opposed to from the top.
I mostly fish tipups and only carry one rod so I'll have to try to figure out which one is best for tipups.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132901316291

https://www.scheels.com/p/striker-ice-transporter/81405602723.html?store=&src=hardlines&msclkid=0c7db2a4302c11b6b6b6d14640dbea98

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202941992786?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200818143230%26meid%3D416bc1ecc6ca4fc6878509bbfd43ccc9%26pid%3D101224%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D132901316291%26itm%3D202941992786%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganicWeb&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1

Edit: I went with the UFISH 30" 3-layer.
The downside with a bag, I imagine, is having to dry things out.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2023, 10:09 AM »
Best "pack basket" I have ever used is two milk crates stacked on top of one another, cut the botton out of top one, and zip tie together.  Add some shoulder straps and good for for life, very comfortable to carry.  Holds a ton, protects everything, flip over for chair or table. :tipup: 

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2023, 10:47 AM »

In my opinion, the nylon insert that has the five slots for the traps is a must for the pack basket.  The only thing I keep in the middle of mine is one extra trap, a jig rod, my skimmer, and a bait net which if you bend the handle correctly it just hooks onto one of the trap slots.  All my hooks, jigs, sounders, swivels, line, pliers, swiss army knife, and things of that nature are in a camo fanny pack that just straps around the basket.  With this, it does leave room in the basket itself if I need to throw a 1lb propane tank, a little bucket, or any other odds and ends, but anything that I am goign to need as far as fishing gear goes in the fanny pack.  I am sure there are other great suggestions and DIY's but this works well for me.

Offline CW2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2023, 11:12 AM »
In my opinion, the nylon insert that has the five slots for the traps is a must for the pack basket

I have the liner, and agree that it's a must-have.  I appreciate it so much since my last basket didn't have any organization.  While I can't see myself having a fanny pack on me the whole time on the ice, it does give me some ideas for what I can look for to better use that dead space in the middle.

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2023, 11:20 AM »
...I can't see myself having a fanny pack on me the whole time on the ice...
He said that he straps the fanny pack around the pack basket.

Offline CW2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2023, 11:47 AM »
He said that he straps the fanny pack around the pack basket.

That's what I get for reading this at work, I did indeed misunderstand.  I thought he carried it while fishing and left it around the basket when not.

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2023, 12:01 PM »
hahahahaha.  Yeah I don't see myself wearing the fanny pack either.  hahahaha.  I did have to make sure it was camo even to strap it to my pack basket.  it's nice because it doesn't add significant weaight and I can still carry it on my back as normal, especially when snowmobiling into camp or out to my honey hole.

Offline CW2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2023, 12:32 PM »
Welp, I'm the proud soon-to-be owner of a fanny pack now...  Thanks Hue.  ;D

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2023, 01:08 PM »
Best "pack basket" I have ever used is two milk crates stacked on top of one another, cut the botton out of top one, and zip tie together.  Add some shoulder straps and good for for life, very comfortable to carry.  Holds a ton, protects everything, flip over for chair or table. :tipup:
That’s interesting haha

Offline Wago14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2023, 04:17 PM »

Use the liner with the traps sleeves built in. For the middle I use dry bags sorted by what's in them (jigs, tools, first aid etc.), it seems to work well for me. I also have a case for my jig poles, those don't stay in the basket.

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2023, 01:41 PM »
Again, the Loring baskets are super nice and made locally. I may still buy one for snowshoeing/skiing/snowmobiling. They just don't work well for my ice fishing gear.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202941992786?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200818143230%26meid%3D416bc1ecc6ca4fc6878509bbfd43ccc9%26pid%3D101224%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D132901316291%26itm%3D202941992786%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganicWeb&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1

Edit: I went with the UFISH 30" 3-layer.
The downside with a bag, I imagine, is having to dry things out.
I received this bag today. I'm very happy with it. Well made (in the USA).
I fit all the stuff from my 5 gal. bucket in it nicely plus a 3-legged stool, my skimmer, drill battery(s), 2 cans of Spam, and I still have room for beers. ;-)
Everything is well organized and easy to take out and put back. No more 5 gal. bucket mess for me. And now more room in my sled (or a lighter drag).
2 thumbs up.

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2023, 08:31 PM »

No the vintage Moosehead traps that I own are not a cross style trap. They are a T style just like a jack trap and are 31" tall, made of hardwood.  They have a specific  black stamp "Moosehead by JrHall" printed on the wood, these as I understand it were made by a man in New Hampshire.  No longer made, have  very sensitive trigger and an incredible trap.  I would never sell them, they have caught precious trophy fish way up in the Allegash of Maine dating back to 1980.

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2023, 04:44 AM »
I love the Lori g baskets just remember to keep away from the buddy heater lol ol lady’s melted pretty good  :cookoo:
I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Offline Thebeardedwaterfowler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2023, 07:07 AM »
My son and I switched to Loring baskets a few years ago after my old ash one was more duck tap than ash. They have been great. I would highly recommend the inset that holds your traps on the side of the basket. This will keep your traps from banging around and also keep the center of the basket open for other gear.

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2023, 07:25 PM »
I did buy the trap basket bag insert with 5 pocket/sleeves for traps and cinch close at top of the bag.  I knew this would work well for me for storage of 5 traps around the outside perimeter, leaving the center for my other necessary stuff!

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 18, 2023, 10:15 AM »
Now that's some good "Old Mainah" down to earth common sense!  I don't own a snowmobile,  4 wheeler or Boat/Motor so thought I'd splurge on a little upgrade to my ice fishing equipment in my old age which really wasn't necessary.  However, walk on ice fishing while hand pulling small jet sled is getting to be a real challenge at age 67. Looking at used snowmobiles for specific purpose of ice fishing to haul my arse and sled out there.  Not a good year to make that purchase given warm winter and ice conditions.   When snowmobile/ice fishing ends this year, I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on a used snowmobile/trailer deal!

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 18, 2023, 10:24 AM »
I got a whole 22 miles on my snowmobile so far this year. And not a whole lot more than that last year.
I'm kinda wishing I got an ATV. I may look to trade it next fall. Then the snow and ice will come. lol

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 18, 2023, 11:08 AM »
The old milk crate- Loring pack basket combo.

Works well to travel. Does not slay the fish today.

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 18, 2023, 02:27 PM »
I use one of the 4.5" by 4.5" by 6.5" mixed nut (or peanut or cashew  ) plastic  bottles for storing the small stuff in the middle of the pack basket.

Offline GNFISHIN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 18, 2023, 09:16 PM »

Look into a snowdog. Best little ice fishing rig I’ve ever had. No need for a trailer or much off season storage space.
It's fishing, not catching....

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #26 on: Feb 19, 2023, 02:30 AM »
Look into a snowdog. Best little ice fishing rig I’ve ever had. No need for a trailer or much off season storage space.
Can you man handle one of those with one guy? They look like a good ice fishing rig.

Offline GNFISHIN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 19, 2023, 05:51 AM »
In my opinion, easier to handle than an atv or snomo. Takes a little bit to get used to driving it. Can easily fit everything in a 6.5 foot pickup bed. Some people use a hitch mounted carrier. Only weighs 300ish.

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 19, 2023, 01:44 PM »
In my opinion, easier to handle than an atv or snomo. Takes a little bit to get used to driving it. Can easily fit everything in a 6.5 foot pickup bed. Some people use a hitch mounted carrier. Only weighs 300ish.
Interesting, just checked out their website.  Looks like it could fit into a standard size truck bed even with a fiberglass roof cap over the bed which is what I have.

Offline GNFISHIN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 19, 2023, 05:08 PM »
Yup, that’s what I have. Fold the handles down and back it in. Everything under cover. No trailer needed. Chase toys in Unity sells them. I looked around for a used one, but no luck. Sold my atv and not looking back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.