Author Topic: Dual powered aerators  (Read 1174 times)

Offline ORourke1976

• IceShanty Rookie
Dual powered aerators
« on: Jan 28, 2023, 01:50 PM »
I’m getting very tired of pissing away my money on Chinese made garbage with an American name on it only to have it fail and have 2-3 dozen minnows die!
 I thought the frabill cooler aerator system was going to be perfect, hard mounted, runs off of 2 D batteries, or use the 120v adapter. It worked almost 5 days, now all my minnows are dead, can’t find anything in this craphole town I live in to replace it with.
    Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Dual powered aerators
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2023, 01:52 PM »
I'm sure it's made in China, but I use the Clam lithium aerator and an aquarium pump at home.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2023, 02:04 PM »
What style "cooler" are you referring to? A typical minnow bucket doesn't really require an aerator during cold, winter months. I usually keep it in a cool place and change out a bit of the water now and then if I plan on keeping the minnows for a length of time. Like some lake water before heading home. Those "aerators" do nothing more than move the water around...they don't produce oxygen. Fresh and cold is the ticket.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Deadbait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2023, 03:00 PM »
Marine Metal Products make the best aerators.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2023, 03:24 PM »
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2023, 03:47 PM »
No reason to use anything other than an aquarium aerator at home. They're made to run non stop

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2023, 06:24 AM »
No reason to use anything other than an aquarium aerator at home. They're made to run non stop
;D What he said, and change out part of the water with clean snow melt. ;D

Offline ORourke1976

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2023, 11:51 AM »
Right on fellas, I think I’ll just put a fish tank aerator in it while at home and maybe down the road I’ll get a small battery operated one to use out on the ice

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2023, 07:17 PM »
What style "cooler" are you referring to? A typical minnow bucket doesn't really require an aerator during cold, winter months. I usually keep it in a cool place and change out a bit of the water now and then if I plan on keeping the minnows for a length of time. Like some lake water before heading home. Those "aerators" do nothing more than move the water around...they don't produce oxygen. Fresh and cold is the ticket.

^^^^^^
This.. the only thing the areator does is help some of the ammonia leave via the atmosphere, cold water nullifies the effect of ammonia, the  stones provided are not fine enough  oxygenate..stainless steel brewers stones are mush finer, but become clogged easily.

My bait tank at the house is a 35 gallon trash cam wrapped in insulation,  a 600 gph canister  filter filters the water, a 1/4,hp chiller set to 40 degrees allows me to keep shiners, smelt and suckers. Size of the baits and amount  of smelt dictate how many I can keep, I change 10% of the water weekly and do not feed...when I change the water a capful of sachem slime coat detoxifies and medicates.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2023, 07:44 PM »
There are a bunch of lithium rechargeable aerators on Amazon for $20. I picked one up that has a delay so it will run for 10 seconds then shut off for 10 seconds. Doubles the run time for when I'm on the ice. It can also run constantly when plugged in.

Maybe you don't need an aerator for your minnows like some of those other guys, but when I spend $7 or $8 for a dozen shiners, I'm upset when they're dead a few hours later because I forgot my aerator at home. With the aerator they'll last all day and then some, same conditions.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2023, 07:39 AM »
Bubblers DO add dissolved oxygen to water, not just displace ammonia.   This is why aerators are added to small ponds and lakes in the winter. 
Fish tend to survive better in colder water because it holds more dissolved oxygen.

The new Engel Lithium is a great aerator, but does have a couple of things I would like to see changed.  I go over a few them in this video.   Also I did confirm with Engel that they WILL be selling the new rechargeable units with their coolers starting this summer (expect a higher price for the combo). 

&t=575s

Offline ORourke1976

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2023, 04:35 PM »
There are a bunch of lithium rechargeable aerators on Amazon for $20. I picked one up that has a delay so it will run for 10 seconds then shut off for 10 seconds. Doubles the run time for when I'm on the ice. It can also run constantly when plugged in.

Maybe you don't need an aerator for your minnows like some of those other guys, but when I spend $7 or $8 for a dozen shiners, I'm upset when they're dead a few hours later because I forgot my aerator at home. With the aerator they'll last all day and then some, same conditions.

For sure, Covid has even more than doubled the price of minnows around here, and keeping them alive and lively just makes sense.

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2023, 06:23 PM »
I got one off amazon and mounted it on a cooler. Been using it for a couple of years now it's way better than those ones on the Engle coolers and I add a few drops of g juice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.