The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Bog and Burnett's Pond  (Read 630 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Bog and Burnett's Pond
« on: Dec 31, 2022, 05:51 PM »
My end-0f-the-year vacation is fast drawing to a close, so I wanted to make the most of my opportunities to ice fish.

Today, my younger son and I gave Bog Pond in the Savoy State Forest a whirl.

The weather was overcast, about 50 degrees, with intermittent "misting" throughout the day, and surprisingly heavy fog later in the aft

We arrived at Bog around 11 AM.  It had about 8 or 9 inches of poor quality ice, with 2 to 3 inches of water on top.

There were 2 guys fishing there when we arrived, who reported a pretty good bite of pickerel and perch earlier in the morning, but ended up leaving about a half hour after we got there.

After fishing there for about an hour without either a flag or a tap on our jig sticks,  we got a "dead sea vibe" and decided to back track to the nearby Burnett's Pond instead.

I'm glad we did..

We arrived at Burnett's  (where the ice conditions were about the same as at Bog) about 12:30 PM and had flags more or less immediately.

After a couple hours, we were joined by two other guys from VT, who set up toward the "front" of the Pond (closer to the dam).

Over the course of the day, we landed a good number of pickerel and perch, on a mix of tip ups, dead stick and jigging.

My son caught two big pickerel (19" and 21") and I brought in a good-sized (11") perch before we finally left (soaked) around 3:30 PM.

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Bog and Burnett's Pond
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2023, 08:22 AM »
Great that you were able to recover from a bad start to end with some good fishing, despite the weather and ice conditions starting to deteriorate. Hope that this is a short warm spell and we can get back to normal cold weather. Good luck on other outings.

Offline Mogli21

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Bog and Burnett's Pond
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2023, 02:27 PM »
Got on to Cheshire reservoir yesterday up behind the dealership and had 8 inches of pretty good ice with minimal water on top, surprised to hear there was that much up there. Was thinking of checking out north pond tomorrow but seems doubtful from your reports from elsewhere in the park. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.