The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Slow but Satisfying  (Read 873 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Slow but Satisfying
« on: Dec 28, 2022, 04:57 PM »
I was in the mood for pickerel, so I headed out to K of C (a/k/a Hallockville) Pond on the Plainfield/Hawley line.

I arrived around 10:15 AM and left a little after 4:30 PM.

The we.ather was mostly cloudy, although it cleared up in the mid afternoon, with temps in the low 30's, and a light breeze off and on.

There was 3 to 4 inches of snow on top of 8 inches of ice.  (Most I've seen so far this season).

The fishing action was comparatively slow - - with only 3 or 4 flags - - but satisfying nonetheless.

I ended up with one small perch (on a tip up) and four pickerel (two on tip ups and two while jigging).

Although the two smaller pickerel were just typical, the other two were big (at least by my standards).

Of the two larger pickerel, I landed the smaller one (20") on a tip up and the larger one (22") on a jig (which was a real blast) just before I left.

To pass the time, I also cooked out on the ice (homemade trail mix, beef stew, cous-cous salad, a bottle of Guiness, an apple and a pot of hot coffee with chocolate milk and sugar) and took a quick spin around the pond on my skiis.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Slow but Satisfying
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2022, 10:35 AM »
Sounds like another fun day with amazing food!  Out of curiosity, are your xcountry skis newer?  I think it would be something fun to do in the farm fields around my house but I wouldn't want to invest much.
westernmas on the finder

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2022, 03:42 PM »
Sounds like another fun day with amazing food!  Out of curiosity, are your xcountry skis newer?  I think it would be something fun to do in the farm fields around my house but I wouldn't want to invest much.

I bought my first pair of cross-country skiis when I moved to the Berkshires 30 years ago. 

They lasted me until 3 or 4 years ago, when the boots finally wore out, and I had to get a new set of skiis because the newer boots don't fit the bindings on the older skiis., if

A new set of skiis, boots and poles isn't terribly expensive (about $200 as I recall), but, if you want to economize, there's a couple places in my neck of the woods that sell used ones in good condition, so I would assume there might be something like that out your way as well.

Offline NCSnowDog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2022, 07:51 PM »
I saw your ski tracks today at Hallockville. My younger son and I fished it briefly and caught a few small perch. Not many marks on the Marcum. We moved to Windsor Lake and got a mix of rainbow and perch. My son caught the biggest pumpkinseed I’ve ever seen. It was a seed but still cool because it was impressively large. Lol. Don’t know what’s going to happen with this warm weather coming though.

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2022, 06:14 AM »
I saw your ski tracks today at Hallockville. My younger son and I fished it briefly and caught a few small perch. Not many marks on the Marcum. We moved to Windsor Lake and got a mix of rainbow and perch. My son caught the biggest pumpkinseed I’ve ever seen. It was a seed but still cool because it was impressively large. Lol. Don’t know what’s going to happen with this warm weather coming though.

Small world!

Glad you did well at Windsor Lake. 

It holds some of the largest (on average) sunfish that I've seen anywhere.

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2022, 12:13 PM »
Good eats and some fish to be had by and perfect weather. Let’s hope we can hold onto the ice and not lose time to the season

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.