Author Topic: Spud Bar Deals  (Read 2663 times)

Offline denali

• IceShanty Rookie
Spud Bar Deals
« on: Dec 24, 2022, 12:33 PM »
Bought a spud bar at Wildlife Sport Outfitters in Manchester , they have a rack of bars that  are scratched or have chipped paint for 1/2 price. Works for me, I don’t need my spud bar to be pretty.
Some people spend their entire life wondering if they’ve made a difference in this world. The Marines don’t have that problem...President Ronald Reagan

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Spud Bar Deals
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2022, 01:02 PM »
For those on the internet..pretty fair price for a good step chisel/spud/pick

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-ice-chisel
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2022, 01:39 PM »
Bought a spud bar at Wildlife Sport Outfitters in Manchester , they have a rack of bars that  are scratched or have chipped paint for 1/2 price. Works for me, I don’t need my spud bar to be pretty.

That’s great, they’d have that after first use anyhow
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2022, 06:42 PM »
Mine looks like I dragged it behind my truck for a few miles, so a few scratches is no problem....that reminds me I need to take a file to it again.  :D

Jiffy Mille Lacs is the best that I've found...the new ones have a ruler near the chisel end.

1 of the coolest ones that I've ever seen was made from a piece of an old zamboni blade....that thing could cut...also looked like it could cut off some toes if you weren't careful!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2022, 06:17 AM »
I had a 1 piece yellow frabil that got lost off the back if a utv.  It was an extension of me.  Id pay good money for a replacement but they dont make em anymore. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2022, 06:34 AM »
I had a 1 piece yellow frabil that got lost off the back if a utv.  It was an extension of me.  Id pay good money for a replacement but they dont make em anymore.

The one I linked from BPS/Cabelas is very similar and has some upgraded extras ..I have the one piece Frabill and gifted a BPS one to a friend ...color seemed to be the only difference.

DG has 10% off BPS/Cabelas gift cards .

Opps looks like they are out of stock on the one piece 53" chisel they were going for $24
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2022, 07:08 AM »

Lot to be said for a good chisel that feels like an extension of yourself, I know exactly what is and isn’t safe with mine that I’ve had for 25 years. I trust my life with it Litterally

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2022, 07:16 AM »
Hard to describe but that bar would make a certain noise or feel a certain way on crappy ice.  I miss it!  The cheap cabelas bars I have work fine but its not the same.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2022, 07:52 AM »
Hard to describe but that bar would make a certain noise or feel a certain way on crappy ice.  I miss it!  The cheap cabelas bars I have work fine but its not the same.

Exactly.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2022, 08:11 AM »
Made my own many years ago. 5 foot of 1" pipe with a "T" at the top. A 2" × 5" × 1/2" piece of milled/sharpened flat stock welded to the bottom ( covered to keep it sharp). Added enough sand to the pipe for the right weight and feel. 2 "good" whacks without going through...move ahead a bit...repeat.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2022, 10:10 AM »
I just bought a replacement mille lacs deluxe.  I lost the one I had a couple seasons ago out of a sled and have tried a couple since and have not found one that had the same weight and stepped chisel.  I had a Rapala that had the same heft and a stepped chisel however the steps were closer in length so you spread the load out quicker and so it did not penetrate as easy as.  I used the Rapala over the weekend for the first time this season and decided it was time to pay the shipping and replace it with a mille lacs deluxe.   

Offline denali

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2022, 12:23 PM »
My best one was my first one, bought from an old timer packing it in. Thick wood handle secured to a hand made blade, sharpened out of some good half inch stock. Came with a hand tooled blade cover. Unbreakable under ice conditions, took a pickup backing up to do her in.
Some people spend their entire life wondering if they’ve made a difference in this world. The Marines don’t have that problem...President Ronald Reagan

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2022, 02:17 PM »
I have a Mille Lacs now standing lonely in the garage but the CHISEL (NOT SPUD BAR)!! 🤣
I grew up with was the the “Laconia Chisel” a 3 piece threaded pipe with a flattened and CURVED blade. That sucker would chop through 3’ of solid ice in no time! You had a nicely rounded hole that would be worthy of letting a 30 pound laker through! THAT never happened but there was always the anticipation of the unknown on the broads of winni!
Little Barndoor, I remember you well! I “believe” my late dad bought it at Martels…as far as I know my nephew got ahold of it after my dad passed in 2012. Sneaky *****!

Offline george_l

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2022, 03:30 PM »
I have a similar curved three piece spud.  It's quite old, I love it.  Got it at a yard sale probably 25 years ago.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2022, 03:55 PM »
I have a Mille Lacs now standing lonely in the garage but the CHISEL (NOT SPUD BAR)!! 🤣
I grew up with was the the “Laconia Chisel” a 3 piece threaded pipe with a flattened and CURVED blade. That sucker would chop through 3’ of solid ice in no time! You had a nicely rounded hole that would be worthy of letting a 30 pound laker through! THAT never happened but there was always the anticipation of the unknown on the broads of winni!
Little Barndoor, I remember you well! I “believe” my late dad bought it at Martels…as far as I know my nephew got ahold of it after my dad passed in 2012. Sneaky *****!

Haha, good call, it’s Chisel in my world as well.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2022, 04:17 PM »
I have a similar curved three piece spud.  It's quite old, I love it.  Got it at a yard sale probably 25 years ago.

👍👍👍

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2022, 04:18 PM »

Offline Hossin603

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2022, 07:04 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on the spud bar! I was able to stop in on Monday and grab one.

Offline BogMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2022, 08:43 PM »
Never thought of it. For you guys who have access to a cutter/grinder and welder. A printing shop has old paper cutter blades that are useless when they get old and dull. They still have a razor sharp edge but no good to the company. Usually about 30-40" long. Cut to your own size and weld away. Ive been tossing them to the scrap yards when I find them.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2022, 08:56 AM »

Now you're talking Mow, I love fishing that area out through the Broads.  Hopefully we will get good ice this year to run up and down the Broads.  Many good times out there.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2022, 03:54 PM »
Now you're talking Mow, I love fishing that area out through the Broads.  Hopefully we will get good ice this year to run up and down the Broads.  Many good times out there.

That’s where all my ice fishing “good times” were! Never had a bobhouse nor a power auger and spent a few days huddled behind a vacant shack to get out of the wind. A hibachi was often hauled out for hot kielbasa lunches! Sometimes solo and sometimes with friends and family…always a blast!😊

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2022, 05:30 PM »
That’s where all my ice fishing “good times” were! Never had a bobhouse nor a power auger and spent a few days huddled behind a vacant shack to get out of the wind. A hibachi was often hauled out for hot kielbasa lunches! Sometimes solo and sometimes with friends and family…always a blast!😊

Good stuff

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2023, 08:15 AM »

I was cleaning out the basement of my father-in-laws apartment house 15-20 years ago. Found a homemade sled with 8 traps. Also had a three piece curved chisel. Thing cut the ice with ease.

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2023, 05:59 PM »
Before I moved to ME I would just walk behind my 220 lb. buddy and his re-rod spud. lol
When I moved here I got the Rapala one. It's nice, but it's heavy. I guess that's a good thing.
It's probably about the same weight as the Mille Lacs, I would guess.
But when I'm walking 10 min. each way to the lake pre-season to check the ice and carrying it by hand I wish it was lighter.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/rapala-ice-chisel-62-2-piece?a=1840846&szc=000&clrc=000&pm2d=cse-spg-15-pla&adlclid=9f6b1a55c65f164521f879e2a53092ff&msclkid=9f6b1a55c65f164521f879e2a53092ff

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2023, 03:33 PM »
I have a rapala spud, 2 piece that someone can have. 

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2023, 04:07 PM »
Does it come with spots to fish and free bait? I have kids!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2023, 04:12 PM »
I just paid for Driver’s Ed for my oldest, do you have an Ice Helix 7 that comes with that Potato? I mean Spud, sorry, Ice shanty talk. Noones said spud ever but has  typed it on here 40 times  ;D

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2023, 05:17 PM »
Hahah Ill throw in a FLX28 thats collecting dust!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2023, 05:20 PM »
Now you’re talking! Beggars CAN be choosy!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.