Author Topic: Has anyone used this Mr.Heater tank top style instead of a big buddy?  (Read 3410 times)

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm checking out alternatives to the big buddy after countless issues with mine

https://www.mrheater.com/45-000-btu-540-degree-tank-top-heater.html

Has anyone tried this? It seems like it is warmer and smaller so why wouldn't I use this instead of the big buddy? Seems like a win win, but I only see guys using the big buddy where I am.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I've been around those in a shop. They are blazing hot in all directions, that's not something for inside a shanty. They are made to heat up a garage. The old standard is a tank top sunflower heater like in the first link below. They always worked fantastic. They don't have much for safety features which is why people don't use them as much. They are notorious for carbon monoxide poisoning, which you can get from a buddy heater too, but a sunflower is worse. I always use a CO detector in the house.

That all sounds bad, but they were the gold standard for a reason. They are stone cold reliable. They are very light, and put out really good heat. They are at least as hot, probably hotter than a big buddy heater. I too had enough of the buddy heater garbage. I'm not even going to mince words anymore, buddy heaters are  worthless Chinese junk, they fail when you need them the most. I fought my first one until I got so angry I smashed it with a hammer until it would fit in the trash can. A couple years later my second one was better after some mods, they still take a few minutes to fire up first time of the day which feels like 1/2 hour in the cold, then don't move too much or the movement will trip the tip over switch and put the flame out. Finally on a bitter cold day I couldn't get the thing to stay lit for more than 30 seconds before the most gentle of breeze would put it out. This was even after I had adjusted the thermocouple to be way inside the flame. I gave it to my brother who used it once and hated it. It now resides in an enclosed deer stand where it does an adequate job.

The tank top sunflower model is good, but you do need to use a tank that is fairly sturdy. A 20lb tank is ok, best in a milk crate or similar. One of those 11lb pancake tanks are ideal. In my case I wanted less weight of a 5lb tank, which I would not recommend with a tank top. I instead went with the cooker version attached with a hose which you can see in the second link. These are even made in USA. 3 season now with ZERO issues. Plus all those years before I screwed around with buddy heaters, never an issue ever. Turn on gas, prime for a couple seconds, ignite, and you have hot heat until you turn it off just like you should. Flip it on its back and warm up your drink on it. Just check the box when you buy. Some are made in Mexico, some are made in USA. I haven't seen one made in China though.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/mr-heater-mh15ts-tank-top-propane-heater-with-spark-ignition?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Cabelas%7CShopping%7CSmart%7CCatchAll%7CGeneral%7CNAud%7CHigh%7CNMT&gclid=CjwKCAiAy_CcBhBeEiwAcoMRHC4f-yKpLcLw1M49Nskp4wZ72qkCZSAIVv-ONSsxYU6v9zuy_PQ8xBoCAjYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/mr-heater-mh15c-propane-heater-cooker
-Tom

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
As above 360 heat which could be a fire hazard, 45,000, is huge , a bud uses the cooker heater and likes it
 I have used a sun flower for several year with a 5#tank in my 2 with no issues ,I did take and cut an old minnow down and placed it in to keep it off the ice , I also have a 11# Manchester tank I place it on a pail top ,  when moving I would take the sun flower off so it doesn’t snap off , in my 1 man I use a buddy heater so far I have had no issues

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
I could see using something like that in a LARGE shanty, shed, garage, etc. 45,000 BTU is a lot of heat.

However, I do favor and use the smaller tank top. Have been for many years. Mounted on top of my 5# tank. Never any issues. I did start out by using the cooker stand...but no longer. One, I got tired of manipulating the hose around, especially when it got cold and stiff. And two, being that close to the ice, causing it to melt, resulted in a lot of water to wade around in.

As for the CO thing. Any gas heater is going to emit it. I ALWAYS have one window open and the door cracked for ventilation.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
Not a great idea imo. On the low setting you'll be using 1# l.p. in about an hr. & there's no safety switches on that unit , so if your eyes aren't burning from CO the fumes are gonna make you sick or worse.
It also looks like a tipping hazard , not to mention the swimming pool you'll be sitting in from excess heat melting the ice in your shack.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
I too had enough of the buddy heater garbage. I'm not even going to mince words anymore, buddy heaters are  worthless Chinese junk, they fail when you need them the most. I fought my first one until I got so angry I smashed it with a hammer until it would fit in the trash can.

You might be related to my buddy. He battled with a Craftsman walk behind mower. Finally had enough. Wound up picking it up over his head and body slamming it into the driveway until he couldn't physically pick it up any more. Then dragged it to the curb...

Frustration is a terrible thing.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
The last few years I have only used a little buddy or a big buddy and I always fish in my shack or on rare occasion at a different lake in  a flip over. I have had no problem with either unit and always start for a few minutes which ever one I am using BEFORE I leave for the lake. I will never own a unit that does not have safety features on it...............never .

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The last few years I have only used a little buddy or a big buddy and I always fish in my shack or on rare occasion at a different lake in  a flip over. I have had no problem with either unit and always start for a few minutes which ever one I am using BEFORE I leave for the lake. I will never own a unit that does not have safety features on it...............never .

How do you even know if the little buddy is on? They put out about as much heat as a thermos of hot coffee.
-Tom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It is true the Mr cooker is close to the ice and does melt a puddle. A big buddy does this much more though. The cooker can be set on top of a stand. I suppose a big buddy could too, but it would have to be pretty big. The tank top units mostly don't do this.
-Tom

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
How do you even know if the little buddy is on? They put out about as much heat as a thermos of hot coffee.
You obviously have never owned one. I have a 7x8' shack and it keeps it comfortable in there but i don't go out or use it when its -20 or colder................ ....... that is what the big buddy is for, sort of common sense. 

Offline Nitz

• IceShanty Rookie
eyeflyer - Just to clarify -->

Are you talking about the "Little Buddy Heater" MH4B (the small round unit which sits on top of a 1-lb green bomb) or are you talking about the "Portable Buddy Heater" MH9BX (which is a smaller version of the "Big Buddy Portable Heater" MH18B)?  I am curious as I just acquired a MH9BX unit.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity

I bought a little buddy and I didn’t really care for it as the heat shoots up and not at me , it puts out enough heat just in the wrong direction
  That’s just me , my buddy does the job for me

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
If you're using a hub shelter with a 45000 btu heater, it will probably take off like a hot air balloon.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
If you're using a hub shelter with a 45000 btu heater, it will probably take off like a hot air balloon.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Lol.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
eyeflyer - Just to clarify -->

Are you talking about the "Little Buddy Heater" MH4B (the small round unit which sits on top of a 1-lb green bomb) or are you talking about the "Portable Buddy Heater" MH9BX (which is a smaller version of the "Big Buddy Portable Heater" MH18B)?  I am curious as I just acquired a MH9BX unit.
The Little buddy........round one.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular

Lol ok fair enough I realize it's over kill now. It's funny they say it is meant for ice fishing on their site haha.

I will get a weaker sunflower heater.

As for CO and safety, I have a CO detector in my hub always just in case, and the vents are always open too.

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
I have a clam kenia flip the big buddy is to large size wise to put it up front to keep my hands warm with out causing problems with the jigging poles and lines. My son in law has a 1# sunflower it looks like this may be what i have been looking for pointing up on a 45 and enough room between my leg with out getting burnt. Only tried it out sitting with out ice that is. Only need it intermittently stays pretty warm in the hut. They are only 70 bucks or so.

Offline fishchef

• IceShanty Rookie
1# fueled sunflower like this?

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/product/0000101725776?utm_source=weeklyad&utm_campaign=C22511

In the ad it says it's on sale for $39.99

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
THATS NOT THE ONE , LOOKS LIKE THAT REFLECTOR GETS HOT THIS HAS A HANDLE ON BACK AND SCREWS DIRECTLY TO TANK

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
I GUESS IT IS THE LITTLE BUDDY ITS ONLY 3800 BTU ENOUGH FOR A FLIP

Offline redspinner

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
I use the small buddy heater for years now I like it because it has an oxygen sensor that shuts off with low oxygen in my tent and    A tip over sensor too when windy I had a problem with it going out looked on YouTube and made a pilot cover to help worked well. Now I think the tank tops work are only for out side heating no oxy.sensor now some guys say they don’t stay lit well did the oxygen get low when you were using it? It heats my clam in no time it’s a radiant heater enough said lol tight lines

Give-up worm bed for tent on hardwater belowzero o-so-good

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I had the tank top little buddy for a while until it quit working in anything less than 30 degrees
The buddy heater/cooker sunflower works extremely well but needs to be well ventilated

that 360 degree heater will melt your eyes out! A double tank top sunflower heats my 750 sq ft garage from 30-50 degrees in just about 15 minutes - thats around 30k btu, 45k btu would be blazing hot in any ice shack

Catchin' Fish

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Not sure why some have so many Buddy heater problems, both mine have been foolproof for years. I do 100% know my sunflower days with the stinky fumes, hissing noise, burned clothes, and headaches are looooong gone. That unit at the top of this thread would absolutely cook you out of anything less than a double wide trailer house.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
I run a portable buddy heater or two when it’s really, really cold. Always load two in sled when its cold enough just in case one wants to act up. Been a love, hate relationship. A little love at the work bench then I don’t hate it so much. All in all I’ve been happy with the portable buddy. Never burned a hole in the tent not paying attention. Have a 4 in. sunflower that fits a 1# tank. Only use just in case. Have to keep my eye on that guy. Wind blows a lot out here on the plains. When tent is snapping one has to be mindful and not forget to reposition.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I use the small buddy heater for years now I like it because it has an oxygen sensor that shuts off with low oxygen in my tent and    A tip over sensor too when windy I had a problem with it going out looked on YouTube and made a pilot cover to help worked well. Now I think the tank tops work are only for out side heating no oxy.sensor now some guys say they don’t stay lit well did the oxygen get low when you were using it? It heats my clam in no time it’s a radiant heater enough said lol tight lines

There is no low O2 sensor on any of the buddy heaters. They can all suffocate you. What I'm guessing you are referring to is the thermocouple which senses the pilot light. In theory when O2 gets low, the pilot light lowers until it is no longer hitting the thermocouple. Mr. Heater sunflower heaters also have this feature, it's just that they don't usually come set to the ragged edge like buddy heaters do. That's one reason why buddy heaters always go out, any breeze will push that flame to the side. Most people simply adjust that thermocouple in so it doesn't always fail. If you really wanted to there is nothing stopping you from adjusting the thermocouple on the sunflower to do the same thing.

Buddy heaters are not for indoor use either. They might claim indoor safe, but nobody in their right mind would consider an open flame, no venting furnace in any way safe. Luckily an ice shanty is just a fancy tent. There's not a ton of flammables in there, they aren't all that air tight, and there's usually plenty of opening and closing the door. Suffocation is almost never the problem with any heater. Most deaths are from carbon monoxide poisoning, and there is no sensor on a buddy heater, or any heater I know of for carbon monoxide. Buddy heaters are better than sunflowers for this due to the way they burn. That catalyst they use burns more efficiently than the steel mesh a sunflower uses. That said, people have still died from carbon monoxide poisoning with buddy heaters. That's just the nature of the beast with such portable propane heaters. You need a carbon monoxide detector, and you need to keep ventilation. I wouldn't sleep overnight with them running. The only other safety feature a buddy heater has is the tip over switch, which is just ridiculous. The switch trips with every bump and crack in the ice. When was the last time a sunflower heater fell over and kept running? I imagine it is possible to happen, but not likely. I'm pretty clumsy, but I've never knocked over my heater. Edit: after a quick search, you can actually get sunflower type heaters with a tip over switch. It looks like the Mr. Heater Sunrite has the tip over switch.

At the end of the day any propane heater should be treated as it is. An open flame.
-Tom

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
There is no low O2 sensor on any of the buddy heaters. They can all suffocate you. What I'm guessing you are referring to is the thermocouple which senses the pilot light. In theory when O2 gets low, the pilot light lowers until it is no longer hitting the thermocouple. Mr. Heater sunflower heaters also have this feature, it's just that they don't usually come set to the ragged edge like buddy heaters do. That's one reason why buddy heaters always go out, any breeze will push that flame to the side. Most people simply adjust that thermocouple in so it doesn't always fail. If you really wanted to there is nothing stopping you from adjusting the thermocouple on the sunflower to do the same thing.

Buddy heaters are not for indoor use either. They might claim indoor safe, but nobody in their right mind would consider an open flame, no venting furnace in any way safe. Luckily an ice shanty is just a fancy tent. There's not a ton of flammables in there, they aren't all that air tight, and there's usually plenty of opening and closing the door. Suffocation is almost never the problem with any heater. Most deaths are from carbon monoxide poisoning, and there is no sensor on a buddy heater, or any heater I know of for carbon monoxide. Buddy heaters are better than sunflowers for this due to the way they burn. That catalyst they use burns more efficiently than the steel mesh a sunflower uses. That said, people have still died from carbon monoxide poisoning with buddy heaters. That's just the nature of the beast with such portable propane heaters. You need a carbon monoxide detector, and you need to keep ventilation. I wouldn't sleep overnight with them running. The only other safety feature a buddy heater has is the tip over switch, which is just ridiculous. The switch trips with every bump and crack in the ice. When was the last time a sunflower heater fell over and kept running? I imagine it is possible to happen, but not likely. I'm pretty clumsy, but I've never knocked over my heater.

At the end of the day any propane heater should be treated as it is. An open flame.

Last sunflower I bought had a tip over switch. Still the most reliable heater out there

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yep, I just edited my post. So the sunflowers can be had with the exact same safety features as a buddy heater. I guess I just can't wrap my head around why someone would be willing to live with a heater that takes 3 minutes of clicking while your buddys laugh at your buddy heater to start. Or worse yet, the guy who hauls out two heaters so he has a backup.

A sunflower type heater is maybe 2 pounds tops, fires up immediately, and doesn't fail. I don't know what's not to like. I've never smelled any kind of fumes. They do give off a slight noise, but it's not even as loud as a Vexilar, so who cares?
-Tom

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
Yep, I just edited my post. So the sunflowers can be had with the exact same safety features as a buddy heater. I guess I just can't wrap my head around why someone would be willing to live with a heater that takes 3 minutes of clicking while your buddys laugh at your buddy heater to start. Or worse yet, the guy who hauls out two heaters so he has a backup.

A sunflower type heater is maybe 2 pounds tops, fires up immediately, and doesn't fail. I don't know what's not to like. I've never smelled any kind of fumes. They do give off a slight noise, but it's not even as loud as a Vexilar, so who cares?

Agree. One, there isn't a gas heating appliance out there that doesn't give off CO. Period. I ALWAYS open a window and crack the door when using one in the shanty.. Why wouldn't you? Still warmer inside than sitting outside. Two, I've seen more guys have trouble with those Buddy's than I can count. I've had the same sunflower since 2005 and have NEVER had any issues with it. The only change I've made is getting rid of that hose and mounting it directly to the tank. And three, like anything, you HAVE to take care of your equipment. Any type of these heaters have some delicate parts to them. Can't just jam them into the sled or have them bouncing around. S***s gonna break. You know who you are.  ;) Ok...I've rattled on enough.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
Agree. One, there isn't a gas heating appliance out there that doesn't give off CO. Period. I ALWAYS open a window and crack the door when using one in the shanty.. Why wouldn't you? Still warmer inside than sitting outside. Two, I've seen more guys have trouble with those Buddy's than I can count. I've had the same sunflower since 2005 and have NEVER had any issues with it. The only change I've made is getting rid of that hose and mounting it directly to the tank. And three, like anything, you HAVE to take care of your equipment. Any type of these heaters have some delicate parts to them. Can't just jam them into the sled or have them bouncing around. S***s gonna break. You know who you are.  ;) Ok...I've rattled on enough.

I think you said it Iceassin. I've been struggling with multiple types of buddy heaters when I could've just bought a sunflower way back and saved all that money. I might just sell my buddy heaters.

For ventilation, my shack has those two flaps on the top of it. Are those sufficient to ventilate?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.