Author Topic: Tube Jig Tail Cutter  (Read 1883 times)

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tube Jig Tail Cutter
« on: Dec 04, 2022, 09:01 PM »
I am searching for an easier way to cut the tails on my tubes.  looking for suggestions.  everything sold online is too small for the jumbo tubes I run and I can't seem to find anything locally to rig up.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tube Jig Tail Cutter
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2022, 09:57 PM »
I am searching for an easier way to cut the tails on my tubes.  looking for suggestions.  everything sold online is too small for the jumbo tubes I run and I can't seem to find anything locally to rig up.

How about a picture with a tape measure so we know how wide your tubes are?
What size shaft are you using for dipping?
I've heard it suggested on the tackle making forums that if you get some of the rotary fabric cutting replacement discs you can space them out with washers and make something that will work.
I've not tried it but there are some guys who claim to have success with It.
And if you get a good coupon for Jo-Ann's or Michaels you might save a couple of bucks on buying all of those discs.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2022, 10:14 PM »
im cutting 6x1 inch and 8 x1.5 inch tubes.  I was running a rotary cutter and the larger tubes don't do well.  between the needed pressure and rolling the tube gets wrinkled and doesn't cut straight.  Theses are not dipped they are injection molds.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2022, 10:30 PM »
If you find something that cuts tails I'd be interested.

Was going to use some nails to dip in plastisol and then was going to cut the tails with a razor blades for small panfish/crappie tubes.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2022, 10:33 PM »
im cutting 6x1 inch and 8 x1.5 inch tubes.  I was running a rotary cutter and the larger tubes don't do well.  between the needed pressure and rolling the tube gets wrinkled and doesn't cut straight.  Theses are not dipped they are injection molds.

I'm surprised you're tube mold doesn't have a spline to it!
It might have been worth the investment to have one made when the mold was cut.
Couldn't you just make a larger version of the commercially available tail cutters?
Stack some razor blades spaced with thin washers inside an aluminum block or blocks?
KasilofChrisN

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2022, 10:39 PM »
Unfortunately the company I used to make the molds said he wouldn't do it...apparently he didn't know anyone in the business  who does....I think he is full of crap. paid good money for that mold too...  live and learn I suppose.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2022, 07:30 AM »
Here's an interesting idea.

Of course you'd have to set the spacing for your large tubes differently. Might not even need an arbor press. One of the comments was that a simple lever can crusher might apply enough force. I think lubing the tube before you cut is a good practice.

Another tidbit offa the bbc boards:

"Get a small paint roller, I'm talking like a 3" or 4" roller like you would use to paint in corners and around trim. Take the roller off of it leaving just the rod part. Go to the craft section at a Wal-Mart or whatever and buy 18 of the Fiskars brand rotary cutting blades. You also need some rubber washers. Put on a rubber washer first then a blade, then a washer then a blade, and so on until you are out of blades. Then put the little "keeper" back on the rod that was used to hold the roller on. Now you have a cutter. Before you use it save on those blades by buying a self healing cutting mat in the same section of the store where you bought your blades. Before cutting the tails, spray the blades with cooking spray to help keep the plastic from sticking to the blades while cutting."

Lotsa ways to skin a cat. Keep looking at ideas, take what works and discard what don't. Good Luck!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2022, 08:17 AM »
So I own the 6” tube mold from Fat Guys Fishing. I use the Fusion X tube cutter. It takes some work on the 6” tubes but it works. https://fusionxfishing.com/store/ols/products/lure-tail-slitters
I'm just here for the ice fishing groupies..

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2022, 01:05 PM »
Thanks for all the insight. I’ve seen the ones on the arbor press and I’ve even contacted the company that makes the end every one attaches to it. Won’t do custom. I’m currently using a roller type and it just sucks with the larger tubes. I’ll see if I can find a part or someplace to CNC a larger version of the AI fishing slitter and attach it to a press.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2022, 09:14 PM »
https://www.amazon.ca/maxin-Stainless-Guillotine-Robustos-Churchill/dp/B06XW5S5JS

I'm not following you on this one Dave?
How is that cigar cutter supposed to cut the tails on a tube jig?
He's looking to cut the tail into strips and I'm struggling to figure out how you could do that with that cigar cutter?
KasilofChrisN

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2022, 11:20 AM »
I'm not following you on this one Dave?
How is that cigar cutter supposed to cut the tails on a tube jig?
He's looking to cut the tail into strips and I'm struggling to figure out how you could do that with that cigar cutter?

Thought he was trying to shorten them Chris.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2022, 06:45 PM »
Saw one on YT with a guy using a 5$ Can crusher and a set of razor blades. Looked slick 
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2022, 06:59 PM »
Saw one on YT with a guy using a 5$ Can crusher and a set of razor blades. Looked slick

Im gonna try and replicate that one sorta... might move to an arbor press... just searching the web for a long enough razorblades with holes in them so I can attach them, standard blades going to be too short for cutting my 8 " tubes.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2022, 10:04 PM »
Im gonna try and replicate that one sorta... might move to an arbor press... just searching the web for a long enough razorblades with holes in them so I can attach them, standard blades going to be too short for cutting my 8 " tubes.

Look into replacement blades for razor scrapers.
The ones we use where I work are about 4 inches long.
KasilofChrisN

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2022, 10:40 PM »
Look into replacement blades for razor scrapers.
The ones we use where I work are about 4 inches long.

Those are exactly what I was lookin into. Thanks for the tip!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.