Author Topic: Happy Thanksgiving  (Read 846 times)

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Happy Thanksgiving
« on: Nov 24, 2022, 07:06 AM »
Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving!
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2022, 08:08 AM »
Back atcha' Teach.  After a tease of a cold snap, I hunted ducks at Goose Pond yesterday in
a long sleaved cotton T shirt.  I got drawn for the reserve hunt, pick #9.  1-3 didn't show and
I wound up with pick #4.

Hmm...that doesn't look like turkey to me....
Happy thanksgiving to all

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline Oaktree1215

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Look at them cheeks!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2022, 08:53 AM »
Thanks, Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2022, 09:10 AM »
Hope everyone has plenty to be grateful for. Eat, drink, and be merry.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2022, 12:31 PM »
Same to you Teach

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2022, 09:08 AM »
Rivereddy,
At least you got drawn in!! I've been pretty lucky drawing in for turkey but never for waterfowl.
Any water? And any ducks? Anymore I take sun screen along! ::)
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2022, 09:37 AM »
Teach, I feel your pain. Back when they first started the draw for ducks, I think I got lucky 2 times. (Thirteen and 23 choice). Haven't hunted in years, too much work, hauling out 150 deeks a dog and all the other stuff needed. When I was trying to train my Chesapeake, I think I drew a snowball like 11 times in a row. Dog couldn't figure it out. Wake up at 2am get in truck go somewhere with a lot of dogs , then come back home and go back 2 bed before daylight. Ahh, the good old days. Always looked forward to getting a card in mail saying anything except unsuccessful. LOL

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2022, 10:59 AM »
AL,
Been there done that!!!Ha, Ha!
My Buddy's son use to think duck hunting was getting up at 2:am, driving to the Kank, drawing, go get breakfast, then drive home and go back to bed!!! Ha!
Teacher Preacher

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2022, 06:51 AM »
Yup, duck tacos for lunch today. A couple of my "Lowlife hunting and fishing buddies" apply for duck, dove, pheasant, and deer draws.  After much consultation and guesswork we pick our dates and hope for the best.  When the GBAs first opened for pheasant, we signed in and got blanked. Then after years of "dear hunter" 3x5 rejection cards, I go picked 2 years in a row and a buddy hit it the next year.  My duck pick was the first waterfowl
winner in at least 15 years. (Best pick ever - #2 LaSalle, in the corn and a bajillion greenheads showed up...) We used to get picked for dove about
every other year, but that well went dry.  For better or worse the digital draw has changed things.  It's now easier to apply, but it seems like there
are more "no shows".  It's an imperfect system but it lets one know where they stand.  The closest northern zone FWAs for me are a 2 1/2 hour drive
away. That with a 5 AM draw can wear on on old guy.

BTW, the spread we put out consisted of two mallard pairs, 2 little BWT and a black duck decoy. They bought the farm...

fish on, sorry to wander

rivereddy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.