Author Topic: Ice on the bayou  (Read 1322 times)

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
Ice on the bayou
« on: Nov 22, 2006, 09:18 PM »
I got out on a Kankakee bayou this morning and have to bust through the ice with my boat. It won't be long and I'll be fishing on top of the ice. By noon today the ice was melted. We could not get a fish today, which was really strange as I've caught limits the last two times I've hit this area. I was ready for another good time but got skunked!!! Any clues why the fish would shut down around first ice? I'll post some pics later of the ice. Won't be long!!

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice on the bayou
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2006, 09:26 PM »
just curious what were ya goin after????
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2006, 06:11 AM »
We were going after crappie. We had caught our limits in this place two times in the last couple weeks. Couldn't buy a bite after the ice melted. I wonder if us breaking up the ice spooked the fish out of the area? We ran through the ice and that allowed warmer water to move into the area. We than went back and fished some open water for a while and then returned. Hard to believe we couldn't catch any in our usual honey holes.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2006, 09:51 PM »
I got out on a Kankakee bayou this morning and have to bust through the ice with my boat. It won't be long and I'll be fishing on top of the ice. By noon today the ice was melted. We could not get a fish today, which was really strange as I've caught limits the last two times I've hit this area. I was ready for another good time but got skunked!!! Any clues why the fish would shut down around first ice? I'll post some pics later of the ice. Won't be long!!

The dyamite you used to break the ice spooked them!  :D :D :D

Oh wait you said you used your boat. Yeah right!  ;)

Seriously did the weater condtions change? Whe the ice melted was it because it became bright and sunny verses cloudy days when you caught your limts?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2006, 01:09 AM »
I agree with the cloudy day theory..I had some very productive days recently in pretty harsh weather . then went back on a nice day.. Nothin...weather fronts have alot to do with it too.

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2006, 06:13 AM »
the ice melted partly because we broke it with the boat. That allowed warmer water to move into the area and it melted. The day was bright and clear and ended up being 53 degrees. The last time we caught fish there, it was overcast and raining. The weather was quite different but where do the fish go when it's a bright sunny day?

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2006, 03:00 PM »
Went fishing this weekend at the pond where my camper sits, took a bit with no depth finder, but got on some nice gills away from the down trees , fish were in about 12 feet hangin  about 6 to 8 ft . About 2 hours in had 2 dozen nice gills ,not sure water temp but COLD , with the cold water "Black specs" showing up good. good day for a windy,warm, deer hunting weekend

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2006, 04:48 PM »
the ice melted partly because we broke it with the boat. That allowed warmer water to move into the area and it melted. The day was bright and clear and ended up being 53 degrees. The last time we caught fish there, it was overcast and raining. The weather was quite different but where do the fish go when it's a bright sunny day?

Usually deeper. Sometimes right to the bottom.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.