Author Topic: ATV advice  (Read 371 times)

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
ATV advice
« on: May 05, 2022, 07:25 PM »
I am looking to get a 4 wheeler this fall and donít really know much about them.  I will use it primarily for hunting and ice fishing.  Right now I have a flip over style ice house and a Jetsled to pull out if I take a hub style house.  What are things I should be looking for in a 4 wheeler, power steering, heated grips and other options that you find worth the money.  My plan for hunting is to use it to pull a flatbed trailer to set decoys, same trailer I haul it on.  Iím thinking the 500 size range is as small as I would go.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jr50

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ATV advice
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 07:44 PM »
Slime the tires and carry a small tire pump, preferably foot operated and a plug kit, if you buy a belt driven make sure the clutches are in good working order and carry a extra belt.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 12:05 AM »
1. Winch - 2500# minimum
2. Tire plug kit
3. Hot hands/thumb
4. V-Bar chains

Handguards & a fairing/windshield will eliminate alot of the wind chill while driving. 4 out of the 5 atv's I've owned were belt driven & I never had a belt problem with any of them. Good idea to carry a spare belt tho. 500cc will more than likely get the job done, but I've always preferred the 700cc+ class for the extra oomph. Not even gonna mention any brand names because then this will turn into another Ford vs Ram vs GM thread. Good luck with your search & keep us posted !!

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 06:31 AM »
I am looking to get a 4 wheeler this fall and donít really know much about them.  I will use it primarily for hunting and ice fishing.  Right now I have a flip over style ice house and a Jetsled to pull out if I take a hub style house.  What are things I should be looking for in a 4 wheeler, power steering, heated grips and other options that you find worth the money.  My plan for hunting is to use it to pull a flatbed trailer to set decoys, same trailer I haul it on.  Iím thinking the 500 size range is as small as I would go.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jr50

You may not get in the situations that I do in the bush, so take that into consideration, but if I ordered a new machine today this is what I would need to be completely satisfied:

Start out with a big frame machine, something with good clearance.
Tall tires with somewhat aggressive tread.
Power is not usually an issue for me, so whatever is standard with that model as long as it is a fuel injected engine.
Definitely power steering, once you have had it, you won't be without it.
Handwarmers.
Winches are one of the most important items to me, I have no use for wimpy winches.  I would buy a quality 4000# winch for the front and one for the back, you want rope, not cable. 
Pick a brand that will give you good dealer support and you will be set for years to come.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 02:55 PM »
I would look for locking differentials  so you have all four wheels driving you.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 12:17 PM »
I would look for locking differentials  so you have all four wheels driving you.

Ya, front locking diff has come in handy a few times for my on my Kodiak 700 when ice fishing

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 12:30 PM »
Ya, front locking diff has come in handy a few times for my on my Kodiak 700 when ice fishing
I have a Viking 700 and wouldn't be without it. I don't like the idea of the having to spin the rear tires to get the front end to kick in.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.