Author Topic: Eskimo 8in Pistol Bit blade issues?  (Read 4425 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Eskimo 8in Pistol Bit blade issues?
« on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:42 PM »
So I finally picked up an Eskimo 8in pistol bit with center point for $169 on sale.

I left my 8in power point nils & clam plate at home. Figured I would just use the Pistol on my Milwaukee drill that I use to crank the wheel house up with.

Well Drilled the holes with the 8in pistol....but wow did it take a lot of down pressure to get it to cut. I think I must have gotten one with a bad set of blades/or incorrect pitch on the blades. I know the hole cuts buttery smooth.....but I didn't think it was that much smoother.

Does anyone remember what the issue was that Eskimo had last year?

When I got home I looked at the blades.....they were sharp. However it looked like it only had one angle on the blade....the main 22° angle. So I took them off and used my gatco sharpener and put the secondary 25° beveled edge on the front edge of blade......thinking it should cut much smoother now.

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Eskimo 8in Pistol Bit blade issues?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:49 PM »
Wow, you read my mind. This has been annoying me ever since the weekend. I have the original 8” pistol bit w/o center point that cuts like a dream with light down pressure. I recently purchased the 8” pistol with center point as a back up thinking with the center point it would keep the bit from walking slightly. I too was amazed at how much down pressure it took to drill. I literally had to lay on top of my dewalt to drill. Brand new out of the box with a Dewalt. More than enough power. Personally, I’m going back to using my original and will solely uses the center point as a back up!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:54 PM »
Wow, you read my mind. This has been annoying me ever since the weekend. I have the original 8” pistol bit w/o center point that cuts like a dream with light down pressure. I recently purchased the 8” pistol with center point as a back up thinking with the center point it would keep the bit from walking slightly. I too was amazed at how much down pressure it took to drill. I literally had to lay on top of my desalt to drill. Brand new out of the box with a Dewalt. More than enough power. Personally, I’m going back to using my original and will solely uses the center point as a back up!

I'm pretty sure its an issue with the blade edges. I could find no secondary beveled edge on the front....I hope that's the issue....the older moras I sold off cut smoother then this and took no to little down pressure. I'll test it out and let you know if putting the 25° edge made a difference.....if it doesn't improve considerably..... Its going back to the store.....glad I still have the nils.

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure its an issue with the blade edges. I could find no secondary beveled edge on the front....I hope that's the issue....the older moras I sold off cut smoother then this and took no to little down pressure. I'll test it out and let you know if putting the 25° edge made a difference.....if it doesn't improve considerably..... Its going back to the store.....glad I still have the nils.

Please do! I’ll be curious see how you make out. Find that so odd. Both brand new and acting the same. The nils is a good one👍

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:34 PM »
I got a Pistol last week and before I even used it, I did the online Chat with Eskimo customer service to ask if my auger was one with the bad batch blades.  Going on a trip this weekend, and wanted to be sure it would work.  The rep asked for my Serial # and said yep, we better send you a new set.  I ended up having time to take the auger out this weekend to try it with my "bad" blades, and it cut pretty well.  My "new" set came in the mail today, so I guess i have a backup set.  Your serial # is on the manual and also on a sticker on the bottom of the red disc.  I'd suggest sending them a message, it can't hurt. 

I've also got a Nils that I've been using for the past few years and I do think that the Nils cuts faster.  What attracted me to these new augers is the light weight and the ability so easily carry a backup set of blades in my rod bag versus having to haul around an entire Nils cutting head for backup. My buddy has a Lite Flite that we're going to compare the Pistol with side-by-side.  After that, I'll decide if I'm going to keep the Eskimo or go with the Lite Flite.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2022, 09:02 PM »
I got a Pistol last week and before I even used it, I did the online Chat with Eskimo customer service to ask if my auger was one with the bad batch blades.  Going on a trip this weekend, and wanted to be sure it would work.  The rep asked for my Serial # and said yep, we better send you a new set.  I ended up having time to take the auger out this weekend to try it with my "bad" blades, and it cut pretty well.  My "new" set came in the mail today, so I guess i have a backup set.  Your serial # is on the manual and also on a sticker on the bottom of the red disc.  I'd suggest sending them a message, it can't hurt. 

I've also got a Nils that I've been using for the past few years and I do think that the Nils cuts faster.  What attracted me to these new augers is the light weight and the ability so easily carry a backup set of blades in my rod bag versus having to haul around an entire Nils cutting head for backup. My buddy has a Lite Flite that we're going to compare the Pistol with side-by-side.  After that, I'll decide if I'm going to keep the Eskimo or go with the Lite Flite.

I used a lite flite last year…didn’t care for it. It’s ok, but nothing I was interested in. What attracts me to the pistol….isn’t the plastic flighting or weight. It’s the synthetic cutting head mount.

My thoughts/experience is that synthetic mount for the cutting head is the key.

1st the cutting head mount….won’t bend and stay bent like metal. It flexes and will keep blades at right pitch.

2nd the center point keeps the auger exactly where you want to cut the hole.

3rd the cutting head ring keeps the blades taking an even cut. So when the head cuts through the bottom of the ice…you don’t get a big jerk…or the auger pulling you down to your face.

4th simple shaver blades are easy to get and easy to sharpen yourself with a gatco or lansky sharpener. Are easy to store carry an extra set. Also cheap enough to find.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2022, 12:09 AM »
Contact/call Eskimo they will ship new blades . When you pulled off the blades were they really shinny? Were there any numbers on the blades ...if I remember correctly my replacement blades have a stamped number while the incorrect blades had no numbers and very shinny .  Toward the end last season my buddy got an ION 8" and that had a blade issue one phone call and blades were on their way .Good Luck.

1-800-345-6007.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2022, 04:21 AM »

Great info. Appreciate you posting. Thank you!

Offline bigbuck326

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 570 240 2001
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2022, 06:14 AM »
my buddy got it like you and got an issue so get back to amazon not happy. go buy ION auger

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2022, 06:33 AM »
Contact/call Eskimo they will ship new blades . When you pulled off the blades were they really shinny? Were there any numbers on the blades ...if I remember correctly my replacement blades have a stamped number while the incorrect blades had no numbers and very shinny .  Toward the end last season my buddy got an ION 8" and that had a blade issue one phone call and blades were on their way .Good Luck.

1-800-345-6007.
This is great^^
I’ll be calling them this morning. Thank you!

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2022, 06:51 AM »
Where did you get the pistol bit on sale?  My friend is interested. He loves mine.
Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2022, 07:31 AM »

1-800-345-6007.

spot on, I received a pistol drill/fliting for Christmas, I own an ion as well.. the pistol drill was intended for my lightweight run n gun set up, first trip out I had to use a lot of down pressure ( I thought it was normal because of the light weight), I friend, that has a simualr set up said no it's not needed, because I have an Ion, I had a spare set of blades, that once inastalled, cut as fast or faster than the Ion, you can see the color difference and the spare blades have a number stamped on them, the original as as shiny as a new quarter with no marking at all...Ardisan has since sent me a new set of blades. I think the issue is more in the heat treat, or lack of it , they started off pretty good got got worse  until after about 20 holes wouldn't cut at all..I noticed a more pronounced burr ( no chips, just the rolled edge) than I normally see on auger blades..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2022, 07:50 AM »
Note calling them is the fastest way to resolve the issue ...You cant do a warrantee claim as there is no serial number ..unless Eskimo/ION started doing so this season  .. but calling works .

My buddy last season had bad blades on his Eskimo ..that thing would not even scratch the surface...New blades and off to the races . 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2022, 07:51 AM »
Note calling them is the fastest way to resolve the issue ...You cant do a warrantee claim as there is no serial number ..unless Eskimo/ION started doing so this season  .. but calling works .

My buddy last season had bad blades on his Eskimo ..that thing would not even scratch the surface...New blades and off to the races .

Serial # for the auger is on a sticker under the red disc.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:24 AM »
Serial # for the auger is on a sticker under the red disc.

Good to know ..I believe mine was NOS from Amazon but came with blades ..I know once Eskimo found the issue they were adding blades to the current packages before shipping out to retailers' last season .. I dont recall my disc having a sticker ..but I put mine on a Clam Plate ..so there could be...now where did I put the disc . :unsure:

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:30 AM »
I believe the serial # is also in the user package as well.. with a notice to register before use.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:50 AM »
Just phoned customer service. Very nice. Sending out new blades. Thanks guys👍

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2022, 09:25 AM »

I sent them an email and got this. So yes the blades on it were bad. Look for it to cut great with the correct set. I think by taking my gatco Sharpener, and putting a 25* angle on the front of the bad blades and sharpening it….it should have fixed the bad set. With replacement blades coming…should have 2 good sets now.

From eskimo,

I am sorry to hear about your troubles with your Pistol bit.   I have made order 886276 to have a new set of blades shipped down to you.  Thank you.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2022, 09:30 AM »
I sent them an email and got this. So yes the blades on it were bad. Look for it to cut great with the correct set. I think by taking my gatco Sharpener, and putting a 25* angle on the front of the bad blades and sharpening it….it should have fixed the bad set. With replacement blades coming…should have 2 good sets now.

From eskimo,

I am sorry to hear about your troubles with your Pistol bit.   I have made order 886276 to have a new set of blades shipped down to you.  Thank you.

Eskimo's customer service seems to be more and more outstanding .

Offline MontanaFisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2022, 10:42 AM »
I just bought an 8" pistol bit and received it a few days ago. I'm driving a few hours away to go fishing this weekend and don't have a lake that's close to try it out before i leave. I sent an email to customer service this morning asking if my serial number could be one with bad blades. I guess i'll bring my eskimo gas auger as back up.. WAIT, what are the odds i could take my blades off my 8" eskimo stingray and they'd fit on the 8" pistol bit? then i wouldn't need to bring my gas auger at all... Thoughts?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2022, 10:47 AM »
Where did you get the pistol bit on sale?  My friend is interested. He loves mine.

Fleet farm had an in store sale on the for $169.

They didn’t have any took the add to a local bomgaars that wanted $249 for the 8in and they price matched.

Offline MontanaFisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2022, 10:48 AM »
I just bought an 8" pistol bit and received it a few days ago. I'm driving a few hours away to go fishing this weekend and don't have a lake that's close to try it out before i leave. I sent an email to customer service this morning asking if my serial number could be one with bad blades. I guess i'll bring my eskimo gas auger as back up.. WAIT, what are the odds i could take my blades off my 8" eskimo stingray and they'd fit on the 8" pistol bit? then i wouldn't need to bring my gas auger at all... Thoughts?

Never mind.. I looked it up. Different blade style. I'd rather not risk it

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2022, 11:05 AM »

Never mind.. I looked it up. Different blade style. I'd rather not risk it

Just give them a call, they should be able to tell you.  Or just buy a backup set to keep with you.  You're going to need to get them eventually anyways.  Better than lugging the gas auger with you.

Offline da_teacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 08, 2023, 10:37 AM »
Revisiting this topic.  I just bought an 8" pistol... came with extra set of blades.  Are the blades that came with it the crapty ones? Should I swap them out with the spare blades?

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 08, 2023, 11:11 AM »
I bought the same auger a few months back and got a second set as well. I live-chatted with the folks at Ardisam/Eskimo and they said that the extra set should be the "good" set, but also said to try the set that came on the auger before swapping them out.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Nov 08, 2023, 11:13 AM »
Revisiting this topic.  I just bought an 8" pistol... came with extra set of blades.  Are the blades that came with it the crapty ones? Should I swap them out with the spare blades?

Is it old stock ? If so more then likely best swap them out . I am not familiar with any free extra blade deals going on right now . Eskimo has a fast response via FB messaging . Check for a serial number and have that handy .

It was a hit and miss when the blade debacle happered   some were just fine and they got an extra set in the box . My one buddy set on the auger was useless and swapped them out for the extra box set and off to the races . My other buddies ION composite was workable but it was definattly off  little pressure to cut was needed...contacted ION/Ardesam and a new set was on the way free of charge.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Nov 08, 2023, 11:56 AM »
I used a lite flite last year…didn’t care for it. It’s ok, but nothing I was interested in. What attracts me to the pistol….isn’t the plastic flighting or weight. It’s the synthetic cutting head mount.

My thoughts/experience is that synthetic mount for the cutting head is the key.

1st the cutting head mount….won’t bend and stay bent like metal. It flexes and will keep blades at right pitch.

2nd the center point keeps the auger exactly where you want to cut the hole.

3rd the cutting head ring keeps the blades taking an even cut. So when the head cuts through the bottom of the ice…you don’t get a big jerk…or the auger pulling you down to your face.

4th simple shaver blades are easy to get and easy to sharpen yourself with a gatco or lansky sharpener. Are easy to store carry an extra set. Also cheap enough to find.

My 6" and 8" Lite-Flites have center points, synthetic mount, and cut thru the bottom of the hole smooth and precise.  No pulling at all.  Sure the Laser blades are a little pricey but they are totally worth it.

And they are freekin light. best augers Ive ever used hands down.  You're doing something wrong if you don't like the lite-Flites.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline da_teacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 08, 2023, 02:18 PM »
I bought the same auger a few months back and got a second set as well. I live-chatted with the folks at Ardisam/Eskimo and they said that the extra set should be the "good" set, but also said to try the set that came on the auger before swapping them out.

Same. Sent my email a couple hours ago and they already responded. Said set that is on the auger "should" be good but they sent the extra set just in case.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Nov 08, 2023, 02:28 PM »
Same. Sent my email a couple hours ago and they already responded. Said set that is on the auger "should" be good but they sent the extra set just in case.

So is Eskimo still sending extra blades in every box or do you think you purchased an older stock Pistol Bit ?

Offline da_teacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 08, 2023, 04:16 PM »
So is Eskimo still sending extra blades in every box or do you think you purchased an older stock Pistol Bit ?

Believe updates,  new stock. It has the center point.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.