The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Experiment  (Read 3025 times)

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Experiment
« on: Jan 17, 2022, 05:05 PM »
So i tried my clan plate with gear box and drill combo today for the 1st time.... I only have 1.5 amp hour batteries so expectations were low.... 1st i used my buddies brand new lazer shaver hand auger.... Cut 18 holes in 6.5 inches of ice no problem then i out on an eskimo 6 inch shaver and cut 6 more..... Still have 2 bars on the battery.... Im pumped... Might sell the jiffy
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Experiment
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2022, 07:11 PM »
Electric augers are pretty awesome!

I have a 5ah battery on my Milwaukee and clam plate with a 6 inch Nils.    I drilled at least 75 holes this weekend (so about 400 inches of ice) and had 2 bars left on the battery

With 2 5ah batteries I'm pretty much guaranteed to never run out unless I'm hole hopping like crazy through 20 inches of ice

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2022, 07:46 PM »
I think without the gearbox on the clam plate id need bigger batteries

Offline IcingOut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2022, 08:30 PM »
I have a new$99 Ryobi (2 ah battery) hammer drill with a right-angle grips for firm control, attached to auger adapter pin and cheap auger. It cuts terrific (speed + hole#). I have less than $200 in the entire rig and no regrets:-)

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2022, 05:47 AM »
Seriously thinking of selling 3hp jiffy
Catching Any?

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2022, 06:13 AM »
I think without the gearbox on the clam plate id need bigger batteries

Thin ice ...low torque brushless drill..low amp hour battery..gear reduction Clam Plate you can and probably get away with that on a 6 ich set up .drilling alot of holes Start changing things up ...thicker ice things will change ...going to an 8" auger defiantly is going to change things up ..from 6" to 8" auger you are cutting twice as much ice .

What drill are you using?

Also if your current set up is the one you posted a lil bit ago ..I notice some things on your previously posted picture that helps some 

Loosen the U bolt ..loosen the drills chuck ..move the drill up some ...next move the trigger back to the other slot ..leave things loose till you get it "right" ..the trigger pull should be parallel/even with the mounting plate and all other connections should be at 90 degrees. This accomplishes a couple things ..the trigger pull will be even with the handle and Plate of the plate..so your thumb wont be reaching over the top to grasp the trigger pull ..also the trigger could get jammed on the handle the way it is now VERY Dangerous situation (remember to always remove the battery for adjustment and transport ..ask me how I know this) .  Adding a rubber washer or castration ring take the slop out of the trigger

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2022, 01:44 PM »
Thanks HWDH  that pic was when i first got it.... I played with it till it fit just right after..... The 7 inch lazer auger my buddy had cut like butter.... The 6 inch eskimo took a little longer but still did the job.... The drill i have is 500lb of torque....

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2022, 02:34 PM »
Thanks HWDH  that pic was when i first got it.... I played with it till it fit just right after..... The 7 inch lazer auger my buddy had cut like butter.... The 6 inch eskimo took a little longer but still did the job.... The drill i have is 500lb of torque....

Good luck with your set up . Them lazers cut fast ..but be carful of dirty/sandy/road salt ice ..bare area and beaches can blow dirt and sand quite aways ..also  ATV and Snowmobile paths new/old can bring/deposit dirt and sand onto ice.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2022, 02:34 PM »
The one thing I have found over the years that I have used the auger/drill set up? Easy does it. Meaning I don't just lay on the drill hell bent for leather, trying to cut a hole at warp speed...regardless of how big the drill and battery, how big the auger or how thick the ice. No matter how slow I go, it is still faster and easier than by hand. So I'm in and out of the hole, up and down, giving it a rest so to speak. Think about it.  We're drilling through "water that has turned to concrete" with up to an 8" drill bit! There are not many drill bit sets out there that even have over a 1/4" bit in them for a cordless drill. Ok...1" wood bits and 3" hole saws are kinda normal...but still. Personally I use a Ryobi P251 w/750# of torque and 4ah batteries with 4 and 6" augers. But I would feel just as comfortable with 500# and 2ah batteries with the same augers. All I have to do is remember what I have in my hands and what I'm trying to do with it.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2022, 04:12 PM »
Valid point on speed.

I've been using a cheap 500# (if I remember, it could be 450 or 550) drill a couple seasons now without a problem, but I'm not drilling a ton of holes through a bunch of ice, and I take it easy on the trigger. I did switch from a Lazer hand bit back to a Mora bit this year, though, because I got tired of the bottom grab with the Lazer.  I do run a 4ah battery. I've tried a 2ah, and got cut outs when punching through more than 5-6" of ice. Never had it cut out on me with the 4ah. Max ice thickness I've ever used it on is 11" though. We rarely see over 12" around here.

If the drill eventually craps out, I'm not gonna cry over it. I typically only drill a couple holes a day, though, so I imagine it's still got some lifespan left.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2022, 07:06 PM »
I can't lie with the clam plate with the gearbox i run it all out but the gear box slows it way down

Offline TFish57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2022, 01:43 PM »
Sold my Jiffy last year. Got a Ryobi 750 ft lb hammer drill, 6 ah batteries, lite flight 8”, and a clam plate with no gear box. Haven’t tried it yet. I’m a little woriried about the 8” auger. Should have bought the 6”.
If you’re not fishin, you’re wishin.

Offline TFish57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2022, 02:10 PM »

By the way, I added this trigger spring set-up that I saw on YouTube. I like it.

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2022, 10:19 PM »
With all the positive talk on the clam plate, I finally got one.

I'm using a Ryobi 750 ft-lb drill, 6 ah batteries, and an 8" StrikeMaster Lazer Auger.

Works great! should have got one a couple of years ago. 

Thanks for the input.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2022, 05:24 AM »

I'm using a Ryobi 750 ft-lb drill, 6 ah batteries, and an 8" StrikeMaster Lazer Auger.

Thanks for the input.

(Image removed from quote.)
did you get the one with the gearbox? It makes a heck of a difference.... If not you can always add it later

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2022, 08:25 AM »

By the way, I added this trigger spring set-up that I saw on YouTube. I like it.

I just wrapped some elec tape around the shaft of the trigger to take out the slop
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline bluegillJake

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Looking for ice time
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2022, 11:58 AM »

Thanks for the input.

Exactly how I started with my Clamplate 4yrs ago!  Absolutely the best, I switched drills only because I inherited 19.2V High Torque Craftsman.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2022, 12:26 PM »
I can't lie with the clam plate with the gearbox i run it all out but the gear box slows it way down

Try speed 2 or faster speed on drill since it's an experiment

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2022, 12:26 PM »
did you get the one with the gearbox? It makes a heck of a difference.... If not you can always add it later

Thanks, I didn't know they made two types. I will need to add the gearbox for sure.

The guy I work with saw my setup and sent me a picture.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2022, 10:41 AM »
Joe in T.C.  Good luck with your set up technically it meets the specifications for a cordless set up ...getting the gear reduction power drive will help things ..but slow things down as well . Check Amazon Warehouse ..they pop in there from time to time

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2022, 12:57 PM »
Try speed 2 or faster speed on drill since it's an experiment
well that was interesting.... It doesnt have the torque eith the 1.5 ah battery.... But biy she was singing for a second lol

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2022, 07:06 AM »
Battery shut down. 5 amp or more might be the ticket.

Offline TFish57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2022, 07:57 AM »
I’m not going to get the gearbox. I drilled 40 holes yesterday and I like the speed that I get just using the variable trigger on the drill. Just my opinion.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2022, 11:18 AM »
Im almost certain my drill isnt enough without the gearbox.... And no sense in trying ti burn it up.... Im more than likely going to upgrade to the big dog next season

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2022, 07:19 AM »
Thanks, I didn't know they made two types. I will need to add the gearbox for sure.

The guy I work with saw my setup and sent me a picture.

PM sent

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.