The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 8" Auger Blade Covers  (Read 774 times)

Offline KLIKBANGTHUD

• IceShanty Rookie
8" Auger Blade Covers
« on: Jan 10, 2022, 10:56 PM »
So I stepped up from a 6" to an 8" Strikemaster Mora auger this year. I have it hooked up to a Clam Plate with my Rigid 18v Brushless drill pushing power through the Clam Power Drive gear reduction. So far, I am really liking this set up, with the exception of that ridiculous little blade cover that comes with the auger. You know, the little red box that keeps your fingers right close to the business end of the blades. And is there possibly a worse design out there for holding it onto the blades? Everytime I take those things off or put them on, I feel like I need to do a quick finger count to make sure they are all still attached!
I swapped out the one that came on my 6" for a plastic red Foldgers coffee can and a bungee to hold it in place. It has worked great other than the occasional foot race against the wind. Any suggestions out there for something for the 8" application?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 8" Auger Blade Covers
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2022, 06:23 AM »
I know what you mean. I have been fighting the cover on my Nils 8" hand Auger for years.  I ordered a cold snap auger cover the other day.  I cannot wait for it to arrive.  Good luck!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2022, 06:29 AM »
May be adding a ball bungee ..need to drill a hole just below the strap notch ..loop a ball bungee...this is the way Eskiomo/ION straps thier covers ..I also have done this with my SM Lazer hand auger cover with great success .

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-ball-stretch-cord-set-47302.html

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline flatgo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2022, 06:57 AM »
My dad took pvc pipe and cut a twist slot to slide over the blades and used a bungee and cap on one end. Best auger cover I’ve seen for a mora plus it does crack when cold.

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2022, 10:12 AM »
MF,

Thanks for the link to the auger covers. I was thinking the same thing as the others just this weekend.

Tight lines folks.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2022, 11:06 AM »
U bet!
I had one for my 8" Ion and loved it. Was a great piece of equipment. Could take the cover on and off with a toe.
They appear to not want to make one for the 10" G2 for some reason which is disappointing.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2022, 11:25 AM »
Maybe here...
https://www.coldsnapcover.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=98/mode=cat/cat98.htm

MF,

Thanks for the link to the auger covers. I was thinking the same thing as the others just this weekend.

Tight lines folks.

I dont think any of the ColdSnap covers will work with a Mora auger ..maybe a phone call or Email will clear that up.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2022, 11:37 AM »

Some folks added a centerpoint to their Mora

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=378717.30

Offline fishchef

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2022, 11:56 AM »
Check out this old post and scroll down to jrjach75 post.  I studied the photos and made one like this from PVC pipe and it works great.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=348276.msg4183754#msg4183754

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2022, 08:32 AM »
Good tip.  Ill make one.   Been fighting this problem for years.

Offline KLIKBANGTHUD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2022, 10:32 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions! Originally I was thinking of going to the Cold Snap Cover, but when I reached out to them to order the correct one for my Mora I got this back as a response:

"Our covers will work IF your blades are triangular in shape.  They won’t work if they are shaped rectangular in shape."

So, no snap cover for me. I did scroll down and checked out the linked post from fishchef. Looks like I will be making a run to the HD and make up one of the PVC & bungee covers for mine. Also going to look at putting a piercing point on mine between seasons. Thanks again to everyone!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.