Author Topic: Wax worm or spike?  (Read 2417 times)

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Wax worm or spike?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 11, 2022, 08:24 AM »
Bigfoot, most places around here sell spikes in 1/2 white/ 1/2 red. Sometime even multiple colors. Might check where you’re ordering from. Oops, looks like the Dr beat me to the reply button. He’s right about color not being a big deal.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 11, 2022, 11:38 AM »
yeah color typically not a big deal but we always get 50/50. 

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Jan 11, 2022, 04:25 PM »
I mostly use waxies and have had lots of luck with them but at times spikes work better.  Normally I have two pucks of waxies and one of spikes just incase they don't want the waxies. 

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 11, 2022, 04:48 PM »
We use both spikes and mousee's. I start with mousee's and my partner uses spikes.  Once some good size perch are caught we both switch over to perch eyes.  They are tops in my book.

Offline RS_ICEGAL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 11, 2022, 08:23 PM »
I prefers spikes as they stay on the the hook much better. Wax worms give a better action though. I suppose there is a place for both.

Offline Alphie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd rather be fishing than what I'm doing.
« Reply #35 on: Jan 12, 2022, 07:12 AM »
I usually carry both. Keeping waxeest alive has been my challenge over the years, but like to have variety. With that said, I haven’t found one to work better than the other most days. I think the jig style and color have more impact on success, but that’s just my opinion which isn’t probably worth a lot. The bait is cheap, so I buy both just in case.
I only ice fish because the water's hard.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 12, 2022, 04:36 PM »
I usually carry both. Keeping waxeest alive has been my challenge over the years, but like to have variety. With that said, I haven’t found one to work better than the other most days. I think the jig style and color have more impact on success, but that’s just my opinion which isn’t probably worth a lot. The bait is cheap, so I buy both just in case.
Alphie, do you keep your waxies in the frig with your spikes??  Waxies do not like cold so keep them in a cool basement or garage around 50-60 degrees and they will live all Winter long.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 12, 2022, 04:43 PM »
I always bring both.  I use the small insulated containers.  When using spikes, there are days when the fish absolutely prefer the red over the white.  When using the waxie, jab it with a hook to get the juices flowing.  There are times when the fish prefer a mangled, shredded waxie to a new one.  Let the fish tell you what they want.

Offline Sawdude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 12, 2022, 05:19 PM »
For me color doesn't matter as long as one of them is red.😜

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.