Author Topic: Who's old enough to remember when we only had spuds and chisels?  (Read 6627 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I can remember using a spud through up to 18 inches of ice. I think I'd have a heart attack if I tried that today at 64.

Then came the spoon type augers, followed by blades, started seeing gas powered augers and now folks are using electric.

Hell I can remember when the first fish finders came out as in the Lowrance Green box!

We've come a long way baby!

Shucks now I just reminded myself how old I am!  ::)
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
Spoon augers were a thing when I started.

My first spud was just a big piece of metal stock I ground down and drilled a hole for rope.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I can remember when I was really young and that’s all I could afford.. ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Still have my original spud i started with and  lowrance green box.

Offline snelly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my new shanty
we made spud bars out of a piece of leave springs from a car welded on a metal bar cut two feet of ice sometimes and went every weekend. It was in the early 70's I was 16. good old days and we caught fish. no electronics either

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I can remember when I was really young and that’s all I could afford.. ;)

Likewise. Initially we built our own tip ups out of pieces of broomstick handle, coat hangers and nails. When a fish got hooked on a tight light the tip up tipped into the hole nose down with the coat hanger and red cloth at the end -- that came out of the rear of the broomstick handle -- sticking up in the air. A thing my dad came up. The top side of the broomstick had two nails spaced apart to hold the line.

We caught lots of bullheads and bluegills with that. The bullheads as they always do just swallowed the bait, and the bluegills in Mass were considered trash fish so they weren't pressured or sophisticated. We had them attack large bass baits in open water, something that doesn't happen where I am now.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
i had to stand on a bucket to run grampa's spoon. 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Still have my original spud i started with and  lowrance green box.

Are you still using the green box?

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Back in the seventies I lost many spud bars to the deep, couldn't afford a jiffy auger. I believe it was the reason for my bad back.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Hand augers were out when I started ice fishing (late 80's) but were way out of my price range for a kid in high school. We did lose a lot of axes cutting open old holes. Pretty sure we lost a handful of them from all my buddies parents including mine. Of course by the time camp season came around we had forgot and had no clue where all the axes went  ??? ???
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Arm wearing-out spoon auger, bucket to sit on, home-made spud from rod stock, and my $ 1.99 wood-handled Schooley with the orange and white foam bobber from Holiday Station store...and my fishing float depth finder.  ;D

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
We were dirt poor when I was real young so Dad just had a chisel. He used a chainsaw with about a 4' bar on it when it got real thick. I remember he traded into a spoon, and then eventually got a Mora shortly after. We never did use electronics. I still don't; never really needed them, and I try to drag as little crap as possible.

I chiseled a couple holes just for giggles last year, and that was enough to remind me it sucks  ;D

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i had to stand on a bucket to run grampa's spoon.

You still do don't you?  ;D

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Yep - definitely remember those days!  Been at this ice fishing thing since the 1960's...

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Arm wearing-out spoon auger, bucket to sit on, home-made spud from rod stock, and my $ 1.99 wood-handled Schooley with the orange and white foam bobber from Holiday Station store...and my fishing float depth finder.  ;D

I just bought a Schooley for nostalgia's sake last month. They're all plastic now, though. The boy saw it and wanted one, so I got him one, too 😁 If I get out tomorrow, I'll be using it.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Back in the seventies I lost many spud bars to the deep, couldn't afford a jiffy auger. I believe it was the reason for my bad back.

Can you imagine how many spuds, anchors, and cell phones are on the bottom of our lakes?  Years from now scientists can pinpoint corresponding layers of soil from extinct lakes to the years by what was in those layers!  ;D

Offline jlkachina

• Team IceShanty Regular
76 years young and still have them somewhere

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Yup. I no longer "fish" that way but I still find lakes the old fashioned way...dialing a phone and knocking on doors. Still fish 3 of them from 40+ years ago. No crowds or internet reports. Just me, a couple of pals and piles of fish.  ;) Sorry...bit off topic.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
Pick me!  Pick me!!

I remember when ice fishermen didn't need a convoy of duce and a halfs to get all their "Can't fish without it." junk onto the ice.

Suppose someone who didn't know anything about ice fishing stumbled on this site.  From reading the posts here who could blame them if they thought ice fishing is about spending money to buy stuff so you can buy more stuff to haul on the machine you buy to haul those tons of unneeded equipment.

Ice fishing isn't a sport anymore.  It's run-away consumerism...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have a couple of spuds in the bottom of Lake Erie.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
I remember chiseling through ice where I had to kneel down with a 5 foot spud to get through the ice. I bought a jiffy auger as soon as I got a job. I still have it after 55 years. Now it sits in the shed as a backup.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I remember things from 75 years ago, like it was ......Yesterday ?  Wait a minute I don't remember yesterday.  :unsure: :whistle:
oh yeah and first time on Lake Geneva spudding through 4 feet of ice.  No hole hopping back then  ;)  ;D
Bud

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Pick me!  Pick me!!

I remember when ice fishermen didn't need a convoy of duce and a halfs to get all their "Can't fish without it." junk onto the ice.

Suppose someone who didn't know anything about ice fishing stumbled on this site.  From reading the posts here who could blame them if they thought ice fishing is about spending money to buy stuff so you can buy more stuff to haul on the machine you buy to haul those tons of unneeded equipment.

Ice fishing isn't a sport anymore.  It's run-away consumerism...

Exactly. The me-me-me gotta have disposable generation. Who still uses gear that's 30 years old or older, and works just fine?

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm new to this sport still, but have tried it the old fashioned way a few times. I have to say I sure do enjoy the conveniences of the electric auger, as does my back. Even the electronics just make a world of difference for enjoyment for me. I would not have caught many of the fish I have I'm sure without the flasher / camera setup.

How do you seasoned fisherfolk compare the two? The bare-bones old fashioned way vs the modern way.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Hatandboots:  Good Question
Bud

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
But that wasn't the question the OP asked.....that comparisons' on another thread.

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
I remember the pond near us had so many holes on a weekend you didn't need a spud just hopped hole to hole.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Who's old enough to remember when we only had spuds and chisels?
  I am.  That was back in the early 1950s.  And we only fished with hand lines.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline NOT ME

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's a prodigious achievement!
I started ice fishing in 1973 with a spoon.
It's stupendous!  It's colossal!  It's putrid!!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I can remember using a spud through up to 18 inches of ice. I think I'd have a heart attack if I tried that today at 64.

Then came the spoon type augers, followed by blades, started seeing gas powered augers and now folks are using electric.

Hell I can remember when the first fish finders came out as in the Lowrance Green box!

We've come a long way baby!

Shucks now I just reminded myself how old I am!  ::)
Home made "spud" fashioned from a tire iron pounded flat on an anvil, and secured with hose clamps to an old rake handle.. tarred cod line tied to a willow branch baited with manure worms
. News paper stuffed in my snow packs and jacket..weve come a long way in the last 60 odd years.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.