Author Topic: St Criox Ice Rods  (Read 1133 times)

Offline EricK

• IceShanty Rookie
St Criox Ice Rods
« on: Oct 26, 2021, 10:41 AM »
I'm looking at buying one for perch and walleye. I'll be fishing PA panfish with a bit of Lake Oneida and Chaumont Bay in the mix. I'm looking at the St Croix black with spring bobber, I'm just not sure what weight I want. Med Light or just a Light ? Any other spring bobber rods that you guys think are good also. I'm open to different ideas.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: St Criox Ice Rods
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2021, 03:24 PM »

I fish Oneida lake a lot for eyes and perch ,
 I fish a 25”light and med 28” rod which cover oneidas perch and eyes
 Far as chaumount double digit eyes are common so a med -med heavy work well , but these are just my suggestions as I jerk #9 raps most of the time , I use my med for spoons

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2021, 08:43 AM »
My go-to is a St.Croix legend Silver 24" light for pannies and crappies in NE PA.

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2021, 09:43 AM »
I fish Oneida lake a lot for eyes and perch ,
 I fish a 25”light and med 28” rod which cover oneidas perch and eyes
 Far as chaumount double digit eyes are common so a med -med heavy work well , but these are just my suggestions as I jerk #9 raps most of the time , I use my med for spoons

I'm mostly being a smart-a**, but where are you finding the double digit eyes to be common on Chaumont? During the two longer trips I've made to Chaumont, we couldn't get a walleye bite to save our lives.

I know people catch them, but with the number of guys I saw on the bay each trip versus the number of pictures I saw posted, I'm not convinced any small/medium eyes visit the bay.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2021, 12:01 PM »

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2021, 12:35 PM »
Oh I know about the perch. We would try for eyes at dawn/dusk, and then work on perch the rest of the day. That place just surprises me with the lack of smaller walleye.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2021, 07:18 PM »
I'm looking at buying one for perch and walleye. I'll be fishing PA panfish with a bit of Lake Oneida and Chaumont Bay in the mix. I'm looking at the St Croix black with spring bobber, I'm just not sure what weight I want. Med Light or just a Light ? Any other spring bobber rods that you guys think are good also. I'm open to different ideas.

I use St. Croix Mojo. 28" med light for perch and eyes. A light would be waaaay light. ;D

Ive landed some 5-6 lb eyes on them and there wasn't any back bone left.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2021, 08:57 PM »
maybe get another one of their springs as well. Let's say you get a medium light, maybe get a medium spring to interchange with the medium light spring that comes with your rod.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.