Author Topic: Making own leaders  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live fishing die fishing
Making own leaders
« on: Oct 04, 2021, 07:17 AM »
So making your own steel leaders ive found from the other forums you use single strand for live bait and multi strand for lures but do you tie the end or crimp it to a swivel snap or lure

Offline EsoxVenator

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Making own leaders
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2021, 07:41 AM »
Use 50+ lb Floro. Low vis, but has to be replaced sooner. Pull it through your fingers to see if it feels rough.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2021, 10:45 PM »
There are some tieable wires but most use crimps, barrel swivel on one end just a snap(no swivel) on the other.   As mentioned 50lb fluoro gets the job done and can be used for jigging and tipup leaders.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2021, 08:25 AM »
Havenít had luck with fluorocarbon

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2021, 08:28 AM »
You will want to crimp.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2021, 08:31 AM »
Ok thank you any crimps in particular

Offline Walted

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2021, 10:55 PM »
Ok thank you any crimps in particular
The right size for the wire you are using. Otherwise use a figure 8 knot. It's not as pretty or streamline as a crimp but it will not slip.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2021, 05:12 AM »
Crimping is fine, but for single-strand wire, a Haywire twist will get the job done. I have landed many sharks much bigger than any pike with single stand that way. Also if you ever wanted to use a coated wire I have had good luck with twisting it and then simply melting the coatings together, comes out nice and smooth and very strong. Just some different thoughts.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2021, 06:41 AM »
I'm going with Sunline Super Mono this season for my leaders....Palomar or Fisherman knot...no crimp. 20# test w/ 12# diameter. Use it on crankbaits and planer boards when trolling with no issues (breakage). Unbelievable stretch which should work to my advantage if a fight should occur. Probably change out leader after each time though just to be safe.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2021, 12:43 PM »
I'm going with Sunline Super Mono this season for my leaders....Palomar or Fisherman knot...no crimp. 20# test w/ 12# diameter. Use it on crankbaits and planer boards when trolling with no issues (breakage). Unbelievable stretch which should work to my advantage if a fight should occur. Probably change out leader after each time though just to be safe.

Don't do it!  Unless you are only going to catch hammer handles your heart will get broken.

Crimping is fine, but for single-strand wire, a Haywire twist will get the job done. I have landed many sharks much bigger than any pike with single stand that way. Also if you ever wanted to use a coated wire I have had good luck with twisting it and then simply melting the coatings together, comes out nice and smooth and very strong. Just some different thoughts.

I also use single strand if I am using wire and a haywire twist is also what I use.  I have to think a figure 8 knot would crimp single strand?

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2022, 05:40 AM »
Had good luck with 25#big game for several seasons and large pike.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline PenguinIII

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2022, 08:14 AM »
For whatís its worth I started Pike fishing with 50 pound Fluro thinking that was enough. Sadly it was not and I lost a few heavy Pike that bit right through. I then tried single strand wire with the haywire twist and that worked ok but the two drawbacks to that is number one the time it takes to do the haywire correctly and secondly the wire takes a permanent kink after each fish that is tough to get out. Now I make my leaders from black or red twisted coated wire and crimp the ends.. I have found in most cases Pike are not leader shy. The only other advise I have is add a quality crane swivel to the end of the leader to eliminate line twist on lively Goldenís. Tight lines and good luck.

Offline Smitty5313

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2022, 08:47 AM »
I started making my own leaders using AFW surflon 7x7 nylon coated steel leader material, 20lb. Ties easily with a basic knot and holds strong. Doesnít kink as easily, but will after a number of catches. Itís a bit pricey, but worth it IMO.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2022, 12:27 PM »
https://www.amazon.ca/American-Fishing-Wire-Surfstrand-Stainless/dp/B004VZKGV8/ref=sr_1_5?crid=LK500BTUBZOJ&keywords=american+fishing+wire&qid=1643912728&sprefix=american+fishing+wi%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-5

This wire is what I use for all of my leaders. It is super easy to tie and very tough to any cuts or abrasions. Are pike leader shy with wire? I don't think so, I mean i have caught a whole lot of pike on these, but maybe some saw the wire and left, who knows.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2022, 01:23 PM »
7x7 is incredible stuff, the lighter pound test is nearly as limp as braid. Definitely allows for more natural movement than heavy mono/fluoro

Offline Hillsfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2022, 09:49 PM »
After not being happy with the quality of premade leaders, I just started making my own leaders last season.  I use a single strand stainless wire (Malin Hard-Wire) and use crimps.  I use deadbait (smelt, chubs, or hotdogs) exclusively so movement is not an issue for me.  I find that pike are not hardware shy, so visible wire is not an issue.  I just caught my biggest pike of my life the other day (check it out in the general chit-chat section) so my leaders are solid! 

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2022, 08:10 AM »
I use haywire twist for single strand wire, just make sure to crimp ot trim the tag end properly. All of my quick strike rigs are pretied this way.
For mainline leaders, I use 40 to 50 lb fluoro leaders, tied with standard clinch knot. Most of my tip ups are rigged that way.

Greatest hits 2022 ice season

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.