New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Flasher/Sonar for Oneida Lake  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Lupi151

• IceShanty Rookie
Flasher/Sonar for Oneida Lake
« on: Jun 18, 2021, 09:01 PM »
Looking at buying a new unit this year. For the people that fish Oneida Lake is a sonar unit really worth it? I'm kind of torn between the Vexilar FLX 28 and the Marcum Mx7GPS. Any input is appreciated!! :icefish:

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Flasher/Sonar for Oneida Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2021, 06:22 AM »
 I spent a lot of my ice time on Oneida
 For what it’s worth I Fish with a marcum lx7li and a helix 5 , but I find myself  using the huminbird 80% of the time , , flashers work just fine it’s just a personal preference of what is comfortable for you
 For mapping I use a handheld , just because I go back woods to trout fish
 seldom do i fish to 40’
 Hope this helps

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2021, 08:29 AM »
I fished Oneida for the first time last winter and absolutely would not have caught a single fish if it wasn't for my flasher. I have a Marcum LX5 currently, but I'm looking to upgrade to a newer sonar with GPS built in. I feel like having the GPS with a lake map chip on a big lake can help you find underwater features faster than guys like me that only have a "traditional" style flasher, plus you can mark spots that you caught fish and easily return to the same spot the next day/trip. Some guys use their phone with the lakes loaded on to mark way points and help find their way back if visibility stinks.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2021, 01:13 PM »

For the price of a FLX28 which is a nice unit , you can buy a nice graph with mapping have flasher mode for a lot less and go from ice to boat , with cash left over for other toys , just a thought

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2021, 01:33 PM »
For the price of a FLX28 which is a nice unit , you can buy a nice graph with mapping have flasher mode for a lot less and go from ice to boat , with cash left over for other toys , just a thought

That’s my next step. ;)
Which one do you recommend old wise one.... 
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2021, 01:48 PM »
That’s my next step. ;)
Which one do you recommend old wise one....

I bought a Garmin UHD 73SV (side view) with the new GT 56 Transducer. You can get it with the GT54 for $449 which is a great deal. You can add Panoptix if you want or the GHT10 Ice Transducer. I haven't done it yet but I'm seriously thinking of selling my beloved Vex FL20 and using just the Garmin.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2021, 01:50 PM »
As far as the original question absolutely it's a game changer and basically any unit will do in water as shallow as you'll be fishing on Oneida.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Lupi151

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jul 06, 2021, 02:02 AM »
Thanks guys for your input!!!

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jul 20, 2021, 09:29 AM »
100% a positive to have on Oneida and just get navionics on your phone which I also use on my boat while using full screen sonar. Make, model, flasher, sonar doesn't matter as long as you can mark fish and your bait of choice down to a dot with spikes.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2021, 11:50 AM »
I have an FLX-28 and love it.  I use it in over 100 fow for lake trout too.  Absolutely makes fishing and prospecting more fun and productive.  I use Navi on the phone for mapping, but if I did it again I would likely get a Helix 5 or 7 for fishing/mapping combo.  Livescope is the dream setup, but it needs to come down about $500+ first.....

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2021, 12:19 PM »
I have an FLX-28 and love it.  I use it in over 100 fow for lake trout too.  Absolutely makes fishing and prospecting more fun and productive.  I use Navi on the phone for mapping, but if I did it again I would likely get a Helix 5 or 7 for fishing/mapping combo.  Livescope is the dream setup, but it needs to come down about $500+ first.....

Forgot to mention, get a lithium ion battery for whatever unit you decide on.   I finally bit the bullet last year and it is way worth the extra price in both weight reduction and battery life. 

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2021, 06:53 PM »
I have an older Fl-8 and a Fl- 18. Love them both. I use the Fl- 18 on Oneida often. I really don’t see the need to spend the extra dough for the Fl-28 model. The 18 will basically do everything you need, especially on Oneida.  Also run a helix -5 on my snowmobile with Navionics mapping. No issues with either unit.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2021, 11:21 AM »
I bought a Garmin UHD 73SV (side view) with the new GT 56 Transducer. You can get it with the GT54 for $449 which is a great deal. You can add Panoptix if you want or the GHT10 Ice Transducer. I haven't done it yet but I'm seriously thinking of selling my beloved Vex FL20 and using just the Garmin.

I use a 73SV with the GT10 ducer. Set it up for A-Scope with split zoom and I am ready to fish.

My vex has been my backup for 3 seasons now.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.