The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: So very greatful  (Read 2465 times)

Offline The3Ps

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAAAGGGG!!!
So very greatful
« on: Mar 01, 2021, 05:24 PM »
I was out on Norway lake on Sunday. First time I've hit the ice all season. Wanted to take my wheeler out as I've yet to use it myself since I've owned it. It lost its spark so thinking it's the coil pack and plug wire. I had reached out to a friend for a rescue tow, but then things went south. I started getting a headache, cold sweats, pain across my chest with 0 energy. Oh my..I knew the signs and new I couldn't wait. I called my buddy and told him I was in trouble because I thought I was having a heart attack. He was 30 min out I couldn't wait. I yelled for help from some people across the lake, one person said what? I yelled to him I thought I was having a heart attack and needed to get to the boat launch fast. Called my finance and told her to call 911 and meet me there. I never got that guy's name but know he said he didn't know the lake but he saved my life I'm sure. It was indeed a heart attack and they rushed me to Steven's to administer some drugs then off to CMMC where they put in a stent. I am putting this out on here in hopes of finding this hero to me. I can't thank him enough. Still in the hospital and with luck will be headed home with a changed lifestyle tomorrow.  But whoever you are thank you, thank you, thank you!

Patience, Persistence,Presentation

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: So very greatful
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2021, 05:29 PM »
close call... hope u find him

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2021, 05:33 PM »
Glad you made it, hope you find um.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2021, 05:42 PM »
Glad you made it!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2021, 05:57 PM »
Wow! Glad you got help quickly! Hope you fins the guy!

Did you get the wheeler going?
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Fishhead680

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2021, 06:24 PM »
I don’t know anyone fishing out there that day but if I hear anything I’ll direct them to this site. Nice job on recognizing what it was and dealing w it ASAP.

Offline bob48

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2021, 06:46 PM »
Must of been such a scary feeling,thank god that guy was there and your going to be okay.

Offline Indie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2021, 07:49 PM »
Glad you made it okay! If you know you are having a heart attack it can help to chew on aspirin (325 mg uncoated) if you have any available. Not a bad item to bring in a first aid kit especially the further from help you are.

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2021, 08:13 PM »
time 2 slow down for a wile
in god we trust

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2021, 08:31 PM »
Angels come in all shapes and sizes! Glad you made it. Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline reel_mccoy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2021, 08:38 PM »
Wow, that is a crazy scary story! I am from Pennsylvania and I just happened to pick up on this topic by happenstance but even though I don’t know you I’m so glad everything worked out OK and you’re still alive! Despite all the craziness in society today, I firmly believe that most outdoorsman are good people at heart and would do anything to help their fellow brother or sister. God bless and grateful everything worked out OK 4u!

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2021, 05:02 AM »
Glad you knew the signs, hope you have a great recovery. There really are good people out there, hope you find him
Bait goes on the hook... hook goes in the water...smelt is in the water...OUR SMELT!!!

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2021, 06:00 AM »
Wow. Good thing you knew to yell over to that gentleman!! Good to hear your ok
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline TOEGN8R

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2021, 06:31 AM »
I was out on Norway lake on Sunday. First time I've hit the ice all season. Wanted to take my wheeler out as I've yet to use it myself since I've owned it. It lost its spark so thinking it's the coil pack and plug wire. I had reached out to a friend for a rescue tow, but then things went south. I started getting a headache, cold sweats, pain across my chest with 0 energy. Oh my..I knew the signs and new I couldn't wait. I called my buddy and told him I was in trouble because I thought I was having a heart attack. He was 30 min out I couldn't wait. I yelled for help from some people across the lake, one person said what? I yelled to him I thought I was having a heart attack and needed to get to the boat launch fast. Called my finance and told her to call 911 and meet me there. I never got that guy's name but know he said he didn't know the lake but he saved my life I'm sure. It was indeed a heart attack and they rushed me to Steven's to administer some drugs then off to CMMC where they put in a stent. I am putting this out on here in hopes of finding this hero to me. I can't thank him enough. Still in the hospital and with luck will be headed home with a changed lifestyle tomorrow.  But whoever you are thank you, thank you, thank you!

I shared this on Facebook and found the fine folks that helped you, I'll PM their contact info as soon as I get it.

Glad your OK!!

Offline The3Ps

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAAAGGGG!!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2021, 07:02 AM »
That's awesome! Thank you so much!!

Patience, Persistence,Presentation

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2021, 07:10 AM »
Copied from the guy who helped you:

He's very lucky. If it was windy, wouldn't have heard him. If we weren't there with our young kids, we would have been drunk. I almost didn't go that day, last minute decision.

Amazing everything came together that day!!
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2021, 07:13 AM »
 :thumbsup: :clap: :clap:

Offline icewoman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2021, 09:00 AM »
Sorry this happened to you, but so thankful that someone was in the area to help you. That is some scary stuff,  take care and hope you're back on the ice soon!❤
QUIT WISHIN AND LETS GO FISHIN !!!

Offline JFeen82

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2021, 09:32 AM »
So glad to hear you’re going to be ok!

Offline Bourbon and Bass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2021, 10:07 AM »
Dang, that's scary as hell man. Glad everything worked out and you are still able to fish another day!

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2021, 10:38 AM »
Yikes.  I think more about those things as I get older.

I once got my sled stuck trying to haul my hard-side ice shack off the lake one spring.  I had just had that surgery that guys have when their wives tell them no more kids.  There were a group of guys fishing nearby and when I told them of my predicament, they were more than willing to help! ;D

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2021, 10:51 AM »
Guessing the conversation with the other fishermen wasn't exactly the way I read it in your post, but the feeling of TMI lingers. At least you had ample ice available.  ;)

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 02, 2021, 10:54 AM »
glad you got some help.it could happen to anyone.  i think about this nowadays and very rarely fish alone anymore. i always have a cheap bottle of asprin with me all the time. esp. with my family history.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 02, 2021, 10:54 AM »
I'm glad for the OP to have gotten help and that he's ok. Interesting response from the good samaritan, seems like maybe it was meant to be.

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 02, 2021, 11:32 AM »
Glad you made it out and kudos to the guys who helped you.
Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery so you can get back out there.

I gotta admit, this story scares me a little. I do lotsa stuff that brings me far from the nearest roads, year round. I did some solo hikes in hot weather last year that had me feeling the heat and exertion enough to have twinges of concern. Like most of us I carry a phone but when your an hours walk from the road, only so much help you can expect.
Not gonna stop doing what I love but will probably put a little more thought into admitting my limitations.

Offline TOEGN8R

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 02, 2021, 11:53 AM »
Glad you made it out and kudos to the guys who helped you.
Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery so you can get back out there.

I gotta admit, this story scares me a little. I do lotsa stuff that brings me far from the nearest roads, year round. I did some solo hikes in hot weather last year that had me feeling the heat and exertion enough to have twinges of concern. Like most of us I carry a phone but when your an hours walk from the road, only so much help you can expect.
Not gonna stop doing what I love but will probably put a little more thought into admitting my limitations.

If you haven't already, look into the Garmin Inreach, I'm going to be getting one very shortly.

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 02, 2021, 12:45 PM »
Its good your going to be ok and than someone helped you.  Its kind of sad in a way to think that someone doing the correct and humane thing to help another human is a supposed rarity.  The thought of not helping someone in distress is disgusting.  Lots of people seem to think that way but in truth a good person will do what they have to and expect nothing in return.  Its what you do that's right when no one is watching that makes the difference between a good person and a self absorbed jerk.

Offline Bourbon and Bass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 02, 2021, 02:59 PM »
If you haven't already, look into the Garmin Inreach, I'm going to be getting one very shortly.
My dad is 71 and still goes out on his own on some big solo trips. He's in good health and still strong as an ox but you can't help but worry sometimes. I've been thinking about getting this for him and this thread has kinda sealed the deal.

Offline LINGUINI

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 02, 2021, 06:36 PM »
 :tipup:

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #29 on: Mar 02, 2021, 06:46 PM »
Glad you are ok and that those people were able to help you. Hope you recover soon.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.