Author Topic: Pak Shack portable shelter, input?  (Read 5995 times)

camo_fish

Pak Shack portable shelter, input?
« on: Nov 02, 2006, 09:32 PM »
Anyone get one of these this year.
Pak Shack
A great idea for a portable shanty, with chair included and will fit on your back and all for 100 bucks. A great value to the long walks, light weight, over 100-150 bucks cheaper than your normal sled flip over shanty.  ;D

Thinking of looking into one this year.
I have a sled shanty, think it is a greenhouse and is a hassle unless I'm out all day and not moving around. Otherwise I just set on my bucket out in the elements.

This just looks like a great value quick portable shanty for the guys on a limited budget.  8)

Anyone have one?
Pros and cons please?

camo_fish

Re: Pak Shack portable shelter, input?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2006, 09:34 PM »
Grump had a great picture of one in his local baitshop.
Can you hook us up with that picture, Grump.

I'd love to hear from anyone that has one or is thinking of getting one.

Thanks,
Camo

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2006, 06:32 PM »
just punched "Pak Shack" into Google - lots of sites with pictures and description. Looks like an interesting product. Only thing I couldn't find was an actual weight, although all the sites mentioned lightweight. Not sure what retailer)s) if any in this part of the world might be handling it.
...randy....wholesale sports had them on sale last week for $109.95 Cdn...looks like a great bargain......Grump

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2006, 06:38 PM »
Looks pretty good if you do a lot of solo fishing.  Wonder how they hold up in the wind.

Darkhouse

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2006, 07:06 PM »
Wonder how they hold up in the wind
...dont think I'd want to find out lol....I think the basic flipover chair idea is great when used in the right conditions....calm days when you just need a little extra to keep the chill off....but for subzero temps and higher winds....not.....Grump

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2006, 08:27 PM »
I sat in one last week. I think they would be great for the low budget, just getting started person, But the material they are made of and being attached to the fold out chair(a great idea) except not sure how it would handle in extreme winds I think it would probably colapse or atleast push the sides in far enough to where you wouldn't be comfortable to fish.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2006, 09:17 AM »
Im looking forward to sitting in one, I thought they looked good, althought the wind would be a serious issue, I would like to see how roomy they are as well....the pak sled looks like a pain to assemble but would be easy to tow

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2006, 09:33 AM »
If you're a heavy hooksetter, I don't think these would work well. There seems to be very little headroom available, especially if you are 6' or taller.
Ken                                          

Offline PigShanks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2006, 10:18 AM »
Any info on the load rating for these things. It has been said many times that I have the body of a God,  It just happens to be Budda :o :o and my fat a$$ dosen't like hitting the ice too hard. ;D

Offline bmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Marcum then Catchem
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2006, 10:29 AM »
Cabela's has them in their catalog $99.99 us . They say the chair will hold 300 lbs

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2006, 10:34 AM »
I think they have around 2 feet of room or a little more in front of you when you sit down

Offline PigShanks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 04, 2006, 12:06 PM »
Heading to wholesale sports in Lethbridge next friday so I will check it out then.

Offline pike hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 04, 2006, 07:26 PM »
Just saw one today. It's a pretty cool concept but it just looks too cheap. I doubt it would hold up in moderate winds or last more than a few years but it'll improve over the next few years I hope.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2006, 04:07 PM »
Well I fianly got to sit in one of these today and I was more impressed then I expected, they are much more roomy then I thought and I did not find them cheaply made...Hell they are only $100, and I think they would hold up well on no-windy to moderate wind days....they do have an ice anchor area at the back to hold it down in the wind, I may give one a try for those on and off days where you dont tow a huge sled

camo_fish

« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2006, 04:15 PM »
Very cool, I've been wanting to seat in one. They look like they have plenty of room and it's ove 1/2 the money on a sled flip-over shanty.  ;D Hope I get one for Christmas myself..hint..hint for the inlaws.. ;) I keep telling my wife..Guess I'll just have to let them know myself..Hint, hint.  ;)  ;D
Thanks icejunky

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2006, 05:43 PM »
I think they look a heck of a lot better than sitting on a bucket on the days you don't want to use a bigger one.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #16 on: Nov 08, 2006, 06:09 PM »
The old saying "If it seems to good to be true, it probably is" comes to mind here.  The price is great...can't really beat that.  However, I don't think it would hold up well in high wind...the material looks like tent material.  ::) Space seems like an issue too...I'm definitely a heavy setter, and I just know I'd be busting jigging rods.  Does it come with any sort of sled?  That's the biggest thing for me...I like to be able to sit in the sled part of the flipover shanties, and keep my feet up off the ice, thus keeping them warm longer.  It seems like a good idea, but I'll wait for a heavier duty model to come out.

-Zach

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2006, 07:11 PM »
thats the point of this unit, it packs up, smaller then a sled, and is carried as far as I know like a camping cair and dont knock the romminess until you have sat in it, Im not a big guy, but I found it pretty roomy, much more then I expected

Is it clam quality?...no, but it would be a good starter unit for a solo fisherman,  just dont stand up in the wind unless she is anchored because it would fly away

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2006, 12:51 PM »
think it's worth the $99 or think there are better shelters for the money?
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #19 on: Nov 09, 2006, 03:22 PM »
I really can't compare it to anything, but I would like to have one for when I take my 4 wheeler and just run around the lake. Where I live the wind blows pretty much all the time in winter. I got a dvd with my new ice fishing guide and they demonstrated it and it looked ok to me.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 09, 2006, 03:26 PM »
I am just trying to figure out what other shelters are out there for the money.  The only thing I can see that I wouldn't like about it would be the lack of room if you needed a heater and your finder, but if they made it to fit that, it wouldn't be compact. 

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 09, 2006, 03:37 PM »
what do you guys think about the Eskimo Quickfish Ice Shelter also?
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 09, 2006, 03:48 PM »
I think it is a bit bigger and lighter, but then you have to bring your own chair, where the chair is built in to the pack shack. 

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #23 on: Nov 09, 2006, 04:36 PM »
I had just convinced myself they are worth the money yesterday, when I actually sat in one and saw how much room was there and how lite it is, I dotn think there is anything on the market in the price range or even close, I have a frabil 1 man that will get 85% of my solo fishing but there is that 15% where I dont have the time or effort to bring it along, and I think this would work in it's place

Sit in one befor you judge, as I mentioned in the other post, it is no where near a clam, but for the money, I think I going to give it a try

Offline Incognito

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice... must find Ice.
« Reply #24 on: Nov 09, 2006, 06:12 PM »
Icejunky, there isn't a place close that would have one set up near me.  How do you think it would stand up to 20-30mph winds?  I liked the look of them, but worry that I will go to the land of OZ if I set it up on my favorite lake.

I just hope someone has a video camera...

Inc  ;D

Official Iron-Man / Ice Geek / Ice Shirt of the MIRC
aka - Carnage-meister

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #25 on: Nov 09, 2006, 06:36 PM »
I would think that 20 and under would not be an issue, as long as you set it up with our back to the wind and use an anchor as there is an anchor attachment on them, If you lake is constantly windy and constantly higher winds, you may want to look at something a bit heavier

Offline Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 12, 2006, 05:38 AM »
we got them in at the store and I'm amazed at the room in them i'm 6'4 and i am very comfortable int there
I also think there's plenty of room for two hole's plus a vex hole this thing will be great for those day's when you want to get under cover and you're walking. and you just can't beat the price
Local Shop with Local Knowledge

Phone   (315) 676-2144
Website  https://www.facebook.com/BartelRdBaitTackle

walleyechaser

« Reply #27 on: Nov 14, 2006, 03:29 PM »
they look chinsy to me.  Might as well tie a garbage bag to a lawn chair.  Cost less and be just about as effective.

Offline PigShanks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 14, 2006, 06:38 PM »
I did check it out and I think I'll pass. It did not look like it was built to last to long IMO and around here there is usually a wind blowing and I could see it easily tearing up in a fair breeze.

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
« Reply #29 on: Nov 15, 2006, 03:34 AM »
I think I'm going to give this thing a try, there isn't to much wind around where I fish.  Theres a lot of sheltered bays and coves.  That and I can't afford much else at the moment. 

On a somewhat humorous side note, when I googled Pak Shack the first link that comes up is the Urban Dictionary definition...LoL, I might have to put a sign on the outside that I don't sell to minors.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.