The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Re: post your ice reports(oakland CO. and area)  (Read 14516 times)

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: post your ice reports(oakland CO. and area)
« Reply #90 on: Feb 22, 2006, 12:14 PM »
my suggestion for big smallies is cass.

Thanks
When the bass season is over, there's nothing better than ice fishing!

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #91 on: Feb 23, 2006, 06:41 AM »
7 inches of ice on white lake, fish were laying low yesterday.  saw a guy spear a monster pike at sundown on union.  atleast 38 inches,  big fat pike.
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

pinche

« Reply #92 on: Feb 23, 2006, 07:13 AM »
new!!!!!!! 2/22....WEDNESDAY ;D ;D ;D
shallows are kinda spotty on most area lakes..so be very carefull....fishing for me has been stupendess also...along with some posting reports on this page too. a few warm days ahead so i will need your help with ice conditions..thanks for all who are posting...and as a side note..this saturday theres an ice tournement on oxbow lake..open to everyone..but remember no public acsess sites..those in the know can get around that..sign up is at the lakeview bar..near the corner of elizabeth lake rd..and union lake rd...hope to you see you there and no hard feelings when i take your money.lol...5 dollar entry ..winner takes all..

CEDAR ISLAND- very spotty..about 4"...really good pike if you can find them...pretty good panfish too.
UNION-4to6...shore ice very sketchy......some walleye to be had...slow perch but good size..some gills too
CRESENT- front and back bay-4ish side bay(past open water) about 3...gills are so so...walleyes..slow but there..crappie..eh
*be very carefull on this lake..super spotty...and horrible shallow water ice..*
OXBOW- 3to7 depending on area...GILLS GILLS AND MORE GILLS
PONTIAC-super spotty ..but safe for the most part....good crappie bite...walleye so so..lots of little pike(12 inch range)
LONG- 3-5..Boat lunch is a straight up no go..way to open and usafe to get acces from..try a few of the surrounding roads.
*same as cresent. even away from the launch..just be carefull going out from any points on this lake*
MIDDLE STRAIGHTS- 5inches..no further reports..
WILLIAMS-4-6.. decent gills...nothing crazy but steady. pike are good. but full of eggs..so let the big guys go(over 28)
WALLED LAKE 7"...no fishing report
ST.CLAIR ...wind has blown all ice on main lake to bits or to non excistance...darn...ha ve heard that the raft is safe..but its a big d**n lake and anything can change..*use extreme caution*
BIG SEVEN- at least 3....small gills and i havent heard of any eyes yet.
LAKE ORION....main body of lake ok..shallows are thin.. no fishing report that ive heard
LAKEVILLE LAKE...7" ...lots of bass..not much else.

(safe for me is 3" so when i say unsafe its under that) POST YOUR REPORTS :tipup: and I will list them up here on the next update
also..many of these totals are second hand...go at your own risk!!!!!

pinche

« Reply #93 on: Feb 23, 2006, 07:15 AM »
new!!!!!!! 2/22....WEDNESDAY ;D ;D ;D
shallows are kinda spotty on most area lakes..so be very carefull....fishing for me has been stupendess also...along with some posting reports on this page too. a few warm days ahead so i will need your help with ice conditions..thanks for all who are posting...and as a side note..this saturday theres an ice tournement on oxbow lake..open to everyone..but remember no public acsess sites..those in the know can get around that..sign up is at the lakeview bar..near the corner of elizabeth lake rd..and union lake rd...hope to you see you there and no hard feelings when i take your money.lol...5 dollar entry ..winner takes all..

CEDAR ISLAND- very spotty..about 4"...really good pike if you can find them...pretty good panfish too.
UNION-4to6...shore ice very sketchy......some walleye to be had...slow perch but good size..some gills too
CRESENT- front and back bay-4ish side bay(past open water) about 3...gills are so so...walleyes..slow but there..crappie..eh
*be very carefull on this lake..super spotty...and horrible shallow water ice..*
OXBOW- 3to7 depending on area...GILLS GILLS AND MORE GILLS
PONTIAC-super spotty ..but safe for the most part....good crappie bite...walleye so so..lots of little pike(12 inch range)
LONG- 3-5..Boat lunch is a straight up no go..way to open and usafe to get acces from..try a few of the surrounding roads.
*same as cresent. even away from the launch..just be carefull going out from any points on this lake*
MIDDLE STRAIGHTS- 5inches..no further reports..
WILLIAMS-4-6.. decent gills...nothing crazy but steady. pike are good. but full of eggs..so let the big guys go(over 28)
WALLED LAKE 7"...no fishing report
ST.CLAIR ...wind has blown all ice on main lake to bits or to non excistance...darn...ha ve heard that the raft is safe..but its a big d**n lake and anything can change..*use extreme caution*
BIG SEVEN- at least 3....small gills and i havent heard of any eyes yet.
LAKE ORION....main body of lake ok..shallows are thin.. no fishing report that ive heard
LAKEVILLE LAKE...7" ...lots of bass..not much else.

(safe for me is 3" so when i say unsafe its under that) POST YOUR REPORTS :tipup: and I will list them up here on the next update
also..many of these totals are second hand...go at your own risk!!!!!
are you talking about long lake behind bws on i-24 in lake orion?

flockshot

« Reply #94 on: Feb 23, 2006, 07:18 AM »
noooo..long lake in commerce twp.

pinche

« Reply #95 on: Feb 23, 2006, 07:20 AM »
hey guys first post and kinda a newbie to ice fishing (2nd year)!! Anyway are you talking about ????? lake behind ???? in lake orion? ( ice reports) ??? ???

flockshot

« Reply #96 on: Feb 23, 2006, 07:23 AM »
commerce...i havent heard  anything much from up in the orion area...

if you guys can find the pike on cedar island ..do it...we iced a 39 incher 14lbs...on tuesday...he was big...alot in the low 30's...we let every one go except two 28's..8 pike total iced

pinche

« Reply #97 on: Feb 23, 2006, 07:26 AM »
noooo..long lake in commerce twp.
ohhhhhhhhhhh thank you have you ever fished there?

Offline CMFISH51

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Corey Miller
« Reply #98 on: Feb 23, 2006, 09:20 AM »
Great update on the lakes....

are you talking about Oxbow and Williams Lake in Oakland Co.
New to the area fishing and just wanna get my father and I on some gills.
Thanks for all the help!
Team Reel Naughty

walleyechaser

« Reply #99 on: Feb 23, 2006, 09:54 AM »
Another good panfish lake is Prince Lake in Bald mtn. rec.  My dad and I went there and got 50 keeper gills in under 2 hours.  didn't even have to hole hop. 

I'm not sure how the ice is out that way but if you can get on it you'll do well on the gills.

Offline CMFISH51

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Corey Miller
« Reply #100 on: Feb 23, 2006, 10:04 AM »
Was there last Saturday and could not get a gill over 7 inches and we caught about 60.  We were south of the main peninsula halfway across the lake fishing anywhere form 7-12 FOW using spikes, waxworms, and wigglers.  There were guys fishing east of us, and they mainly stayed in that area.  Maybe we were too far west, as we were east of the island that is in the north west part of the lake, and they were almost due south of that island fishing in the middle part of the lake.  Any thoughts or help - I just wanna get on some better sized gills???
Team Reel Naughty

flockshot

« Reply #101 on: Feb 23, 2006, 10:17 AM »
oxbows really good..but the area most people park at is getting  over fished...its a private lake so the only kinda public accses is at an old window store on m-59..that front bay is getting hammered...same old guys who think they own it are a hassle...catch a few keepers..the augers come out and you'll have company..if you cant get on other parts of the lake..well..you will have a feild day.

williams...lots but no size...ive been doing great on cedar island..but the boat launch is super not safe....so once again..you gotta know somebody...try oakland lake...good gills...or the guts at cass lake...

walleyechaser

« Reply #102 on: Feb 23, 2006, 10:19 AM »
There is a very sharp drop close to shore in the SW portion of the lake.  This is the deepest hole.
I've found that sometimes you have to move to get away from the dinks.  There have been times when I've moved several times to avoid catching all the little ones.

Crazy thing is the biggest gills we caught that day wanted the black dead waxies.  I found that out by accident because all we had left were dead ones.  I wound up picking all the dead ones off the ice and using them.

Nice crappie in that lake too.  Minnows right under the ice at dark and be quiet because the fish are only a foot below you.

walleyechaser

« Reply #103 on: Feb 24, 2006, 09:01 AM »
Pontiac Lake is safe near tackles drive.  Shore ice is a bit of a problem.  Have to use planks to get across.

I'll be there in 2 hours.

flockshot

« Reply #104 on: Feb 24, 2006, 10:13 AM »
ice is barely good for the ice tournement on oxbow tommorow..should be intresting..im actually kinda glad..alot of people who threw their 5 bucks in wont go out..freeeee money...lol...

ice seemed to hold up alright after the last few days...helps that snow and not rain came down yesterday afternoon.

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
« Reply #105 on: Feb 24, 2006, 01:59 PM »
Hoping to get out to union on Sunday, besides the report below, does anybody have anymore news? Looking for eyes but will listen to perch reports.
Official Capt Ahab of the MIRC - "thar she blows"  
 Got nymph?   Some days your the bug and some days your the windshield.

flockshot

« Reply #106 on: Feb 24, 2006, 02:13 PM »
all my walleye lakes are either..not producing..or not safe..so i cant really help to much...ive heard there catching them on union..but hell i never do very hot out there..same as pontiac..i catch fish..but hate the crowds (especially when you land one)....cresents not really safe...longs hard to get out on....lake sherwood in commerce is producing big time..but private so i cant get out on it unless my buddy..who hates walleye fishing wants to walleye fish.....ive heard square lakes puttin out big perch...but all just rumors...if your an essox angler as your name implies..hit the shallows of ceder island..been doing spectacular..overall thats why my reports not updated..no new news..

sunday im giving up and going up north..have a few days off and i need to hang some lakers...

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Feb 24, 2006, 02:42 PM »
i catch fish..but hate the crowds (especially when you land one)...

We seen that at Pontiac.  Except they did it the right way.  They waited till we left.

My question is about the snow.  How much snow cover is on the lakes now?  I'm looking to hit another one this Sunday for a while.  Like it better when I can see what I'm walking out on.

flockshot

« Reply #108 on: Feb 24, 2006, 02:47 PM »
no snow..none..and we're not supposed to get anything signifigant for a while..the lakes are slick...mixed blessing...all of us got out of the shanty to chase a flag...damn shanty blew away...lol...we must have looked like such amatures.

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Feb 24, 2006, 02:48 PM »
Thanks! 

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
« Reply #110 on: Feb 24, 2006, 03:08 PM »
Thanks Flockshot,
Yeah I do love a nice flaky, white coldwater fillet!!! But actually that handle comes more from my soft water habit of chasing monster mooskies on Lake St. clair. I'm going to stick to my primary plan of Union, but if that proves to stink I will give Cedar a try. Do you have directions from Union?

flockshot

« Reply #111 on: Feb 24, 2006, 03:17 PM »
shoot..its only like 2 miles from union...go north on union lake rd....left on elizabeth lake rd...then left on oxbow lake rd....the acsess is right on oxbow lk. rd..but be carefull theres a river right there..i mean right there..its always sketchy the first 4 feet...

if you go..find shallow water..i mean under 8 feet...like canals and stuff...were getting some big mummahs right under the ice...you might see me out there myself on sunday we've been letting everything over 30 go...and ive only kept 2 if that tells you anything. caught a few on the jig too...tons of fun.

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
« Reply #112 on: Feb 24, 2006, 03:29 PM »
Using chubs or shiners, I'm startin' to crack on my plan. 30" + is alot of fun!

flockshot

« Reply #113 on: Feb 24, 2006, 03:44 PM »
both..more flags on shiners..more size on chubs...biggest came off of dead rigged ciscoes...which can be caught in the deep holes of that lake.

nothing too fast and furious..but all day out..we had 12 flages(about one every 25 mins) and we iced 10..so i think thats fairly good. plus between 3 guys...4 more on the jig.

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
« Reply #114 on: Feb 24, 2006, 03:52 PM »
Thanks again flockshot ;D
One last thing, you've mentioned canals and such, but I've checked some overhead shots (satelite photo's) and don't see any in reasonable walking distance. Without giving anything away, should I hike to say the NE section or something?

flockshot

« Reply #115 on: Feb 24, 2006, 04:12 PM »
no....theres some really good canals not to far from the boat launch...on the right side..in the second bay...the north east side is still open because of the river coming into the lake...its not that far of a walk to get to the canals as it looks...the flats just infront of them are hot too...you'll pass the first channel between the two basins...and the whole right shore has canals about every 200 hundred yards..some are really tree covered and dont stand out well in airial shots..good luck to you..and post any sucsess

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
« Reply #116 on: Feb 24, 2006, 04:14 PM »
Thanks a zillion, and you can count on it!! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #117 on: Feb 26, 2006, 10:38 PM »
Went to Union lake early this morning.  The ramp ice wasn't the greatest, and the main lake ice was close to 4 inches with the top layer bad.  We started off in the cove and drilled around 15 holes before we found some water deeper than 3 feet.  Had a couple hits early, but didn't hook up.  Just about ready to throw in the towel, when a nice Russian Gentleman invited us to fish over by him.  We set up in 35 foot of water, and caught some gills, crappie, and dink perch.  Not too many keepers, but enough to keep us entertained for a while.  It sure was nice of that guy to invite us over.
Picture of Union Lake looking out from the ramp.

From there, we decided to head back over to Pontiac Lake.  It wasn't to be.  The ice had broken up real bad, and where we were fishing on 5 inches of ice last week, was now open water. :o

So we headed over to Oxbow lake after that.  The ice there was a lot better.  I would guess at least 6 inches of good ice.  We got on fish right away there, and caught lots of dink bluegill.  Only 1 measured up big enough to keep.  The guys I spoke to out there weren't doing well on their spots.  They said it was a slow day. 

We ended the day with probably 10 keepers, 2 crappie, 1 perch, and the rest were gills.  Below is a picture of Oxbow lake looking out.  Thought you guys might enjoy the lake photos.

walleyechaser

« Reply #118 on: Feb 27, 2006, 07:10 AM »
Pontiac lake had a good 7" of ice on friday.  Only in the back bays and narrows.  Caught 3 keeper crappies and 1 walleye.  Man the crowds just gravitate toward anyone fishing.  We had some guy walk up and put his tip up in one of the holes we cut.  I would never even think to do something like that.  I was happy to see he got skunked.  Another group left a bunch of trash on the ice.  Which my buddy and I picked up.

Overall it was a pretty pointless day on the ice.  At least I caught a buzz out there.
I'm waiting for open water season now.  No good lakes are safe.

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #119 on: Feb 27, 2006, 07:26 AM »
I'm sorry you guys didn't slam them in the back bays and narrows of Pontiac.  We only knew of Tackles Drive launch, and there was no one fishing there.   Sunday there was open water, with just a tiny sliver of ice running down the middle. 

That's too bad about the guys throwing trash, and not having any respect for the other anglers and their holes.  The last two weeks, I haven't run into any of that.  Everyone I've met has been extremely nice and curteous. :clap:  We didn't catch many keepers, but it was a great time on the ice as usual.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.