The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Re: post your ice reports(oakland CO. and area)  (Read 14517 times)

walleyechaser

Re: post your ice reports(oakland CO. and area)
« Reply #120 on: Feb 27, 2006, 07:49 AM »
I would say 90% of the people we meet out there are great.  We usually end up sharing a couple beers.
There is just that select few that give us fisherman a bad name.

Yes Pontiac has some open water.  Its weird because the ice is 7" thick if you stay away from it.  I think its because of the wind.  I've never seen anything like it.  As long as you stay to the right of Tackles you are ok.
We used 8 foot planks to bridge across the bad shore ice.  Little trick my dad showed me.

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
« Reply #121 on: Feb 27, 2006, 11:16 AM »
Was out at Union lake, apparently only a few hours after the photo was taken. Had five hits but landed only one 18" 'eye (time to sharpen the hooks). Nice though cause it was my first through the ice!!! 18-20 fow, chrome and blue jiggin' rap with the biggest minnow in the bucket (twice as long as the lure). We had 7-8 ioi under us, but the ramp was definately bad. Thanks Cooley!! This fish came out of your spot at around 8:00 pm. FISH ON!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
Official Capt Ahab of the MIRC - "thar she blows"  
 Got nymph?   Some days your the bug and some days your the windshield.

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: Feb 27, 2006, 01:30 PM »
Must have missed you out there Slimechaser.  We were there from 6 am to 10 am.  Right behind our shaties there was a couple open holes of water.  Below is a photo of our Shanites out there.  Maybe you saw us on your way on the ice.  You know, I had a huge trout swim through my hole early morning.  I take it the lake has trout in it?
When the bass season is over, there's nothing better than ice fishing!

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
« Reply #123 on: Feb 27, 2006, 03:07 PM »
We didn't get there till around 3:30 pm. From the photo you most recently posted, we were on the other side and a little to the right. Fished till almost 9:30 for just that one fish (doesn't count the hour and a half drive home). Still it was a beautiful day on the ice, maybe the last one. And yeah there was a lot of shacks where I think you were, but I don't recognize yours. I have a map/statistical book of most SE Michigan lakes, it says that lake was indeed stocked with Trout. What type of trout I can't remember at this moment. This was only my second trip to Union so I'm hardly well informed, but I did see something HUGE swim by right in front of a school of 'eye's but about 5 feet shallower. I would guess it was a monster 'eye, maybe 10lbs, but I don't know for certain. Nice lake though, lots of structure and seriously deep!
Official Capt Ahab of the MIRC - "thar she blows"  
 Got nymph?   Some days your the bug and some days your the windshield.

walleyechaser

« Reply #124 on: Feb 28, 2006, 07:05 AM »
Union was stocked with Lake trout and Splake but it hasn't been done for a number of years.

flockshot

« Reply #125 on: Mar 01, 2006, 07:53 AM »
hey guys...big bass..if you want to do good on oxbow you cant  fish the front bay...you have to hike to the back lake..but yes it was slow all weekend..i weighed in tied for second on the tournement out there on saturday..with only 6 lbs..took 3rd last year with 10..lol...good crappies at night though...

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Mar 01, 2006, 01:39 PM »
Thanks Flockshot, I'll keep that in mind if I fish it next year.
When the bass season is over, there's nothing better than ice fishing!

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #127 on: Mar 01, 2006, 05:11 PM »
caught 14 nice gills on union today.  also a big smallie.  still havent located the crappies.  ice should be around for a few more days, wont last long though.  the ice is cracking and shifting pretty good, still holding at about 4 inches
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

flockshot

« Reply #128 on: Mar 02, 2006, 09:21 AM »
caught a walleye on pontiac myself last night...first keeper of the year for me there.17" woo hoo..lol...couple guys caught some crappie..but it seemed pretty slow.

walleyechaser

« Reply #129 on: Mar 03, 2006, 07:40 AM »
Get that wally from the narrows?

flockshot

« Reply #130 on: Mar 03, 2006, 07:49 AM »
yes...about 15 yards off of the island.....the funny thing is..i had one rod rigged with a rattl'n buck shot spoon tipped with a minnow..and rod set up to get some crappies..just a plain minnow with a glow hook by northland.. and of course he hits my crappie set up..damn near lost the pole..lol...about an hour after dark...i left right after that though...i made the mistake of throwing a 17 incher on the ice were peopel can see..and i got company real quick.

walleyechaser

« Reply #131 on: Mar 03, 2006, 08:47 AM »
thats the problem with Pontiac lake.  People will just set up 10 feet away from you.  We run into that everytime we go there.  We must look like we know what we are doing.
Thats a first I've never got a wally off the plain minnow rig.  I use that all the time and usually get just crappie after dark.  The 1 keeper walleye I got out there this year was off the buckshot spoon.
We've got to the point where we tell people the ice is only 1.5" thick where we are standing.

flockshot

« Reply #132 on: Mar 03, 2006, 09:58 AM »
im just giving up...im gonna tommorow to sherwood lake..then im putting the buckets up in the attic...supposed to be 50 by next week..time to stealhead..which i like more anyway..lol

walleyechaser

« Reply #133 on: Mar 03, 2006, 10:34 AM »
I'm going to try next weekend if the ice holds.  Can't go this weekend.
Walleye should be moving shallow getting ready to spawn.

Now that we want it to warm up for open water its probably going to get cold.

flockshot

« Reply #134 on: Mar 03, 2006, 10:44 AM »
im hoping these lakes open quick..im better at catchin eyes with the long rod anyways but your right...it'll get warm enought to ruin ice fishing....but then get cold enough to keep the boats under shrink wrap...thats why march and april for me are getting on the waders and throwin a fly...and killin turkeys...wont hit lakes to hard untill may

flockshot

« Reply #135 on: Mar 03, 2006, 11:50 AM »
i primaraly fly fish for stealies..but i am by no means above bait..lol..depends on the place...like i go to the St.Joseph alot..and i use nothing but spintackle there..but if im on the pere marquette or the little man..its flies..or any trout river..its flies..
the runs should be spectacular this year...alot of the winter hold over fish probably did really really well with water temps staying warm in the rivers all winter...and now that they've got tons of snow...it will melt quick..and run off means great stealheading...ill be up in a week or two with a drift boat beatin the hell out of some stealhead waters....been doing better for winter stealhead this year then ever before pretty much anywhere we went...so i imagine the main run of females is gonna be great...
shoot if theres ice between piers...ice fish for them..its long and frustrating..but i dont think ive ever had more fun catching a stealhead, then landing one on a 28 inch pole through a ten inch hole..

flockshot

« Reply #136 on: Mar 03, 2006, 12:10 PM »
im not sure were im going or when...but ill post...we go up with some of the guides from the west side of the state..we go were they want...oh well..they got the drift boats..and its a free trip...20" brookie is a monster for michigan..you usually have to into ontario to expect that kinda fish

walleyechaser

« Reply #137 on: Mar 03, 2006, 12:16 PM »
I think I just got really lucky.  I've never seen one much bigger than 15" before in my life.
The little 10" are some of the best eating fish.  Cooked with some bacon and onion over a campfire.
It doesn't get much better than that.

I didn't even take a pic of that fish.  Trout are so fragile I didn't want to kill him.  My dad and uncle were there to vouch for me.   He's probably still there in that same hole.

flockshot

« Reply #138 on: Mar 03, 2006, 12:38 PM »
ive landed 3 stealies in the clinton river this year...its gotten alot better as the years go on..alot of traffic on the river though..and alot of skunked days...but its so darn close

walleyechaser

« Reply #139 on: Mar 03, 2006, 01:17 PM »
I just don't know about eating anything out of the Clinton River.  you might end up with a third eye or arm growing out of your forehead.

I heard Paint Creek has some good trout fishing.  Again I think I would rather fish in a septic tank.

flockshot

« Reply #140 on: Mar 03, 2006, 02:24 PM »
i let them go out of the clinton...not becuase its dirty..just to bug the old timers who keep anything and everything they catch..lol...the paint creek actually is a fun little river...but its small..and you have to learn the tactics to catch the trout there...like wading downstream is sucide...you wont catch anything..its gotten alot better because of stocking and people are using barbless hooks and letting go almost everything they catch..not because its dirty..its actually quite clean..people take a little better care of it then the clinton but thats slowly changing too.

walleyechaser

« Reply #141 on: Mar 03, 2006, 03:40 PM »
I don't even know where the holes are to fish that stream. 
I saw a guy trout fishing out of Rochester Park last fall.  I wonder if he did any good.
I just don't see that as being a good trout stream.

flockshot

« Reply #142 on: Mar 03, 2006, 03:55 PM »
its to small to worry about holes..lol you have to just fight the current upstream and find structure as you...much of it flows thru a state rec area ...so its really really protected in its head waters...its not blue ribbon..but fun..

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #143 on: Mar 03, 2006, 05:21 PM »
Flockshot and walleyechaser....we also have an open water site. Its address is:
www.myfishfinder.com/
Be sure to join up there as well. Most of us have the same screen name on both sites.
That way, once the ice is gone you'll know where we went.
 ;D
FTD

walleyechaser

« Reply #144 on: Mar 06, 2006, 07:07 AM »
thanks FTD I'm already signed up over there.  I've been checking it every once in a while and nothing gotten going there yet.  I figure everyone is still ice fishing.  Not after this weekend. Supposed to get in the 60's.

I spent the weekend gearing up for open water.

Offline SleePac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Ice Fishing!
« Reply #145 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:59 PM »
Walled Lake - as of last night at 8:15 p.m. - 9 inches of very safe ice - next couple of days should also help but after Wednesday of this week it starts warming up.  Didn't catch a darn thing but it was nice to be on the ice.

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #146 on: Mar 06, 2006, 07:58 PM »
went by white lk this afternoon, ice was a solid 6 inches.  good ice.  shore ice is holding up very well.  i know what im doing tomorrow  ;D
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

flockshot

« Reply #147 on: Mar 07, 2006, 08:01 AM »
i was out on white lake last night...nothing spectacular but it was a nice day to be on the ice...probably the last too..so we savoured the moment..lol

thanks for the report guys.

walleyechaser

« Reply #148 on: Mar 07, 2006, 09:50 AM »
Was the ice starting to honeycomb?
I'd really like to get out friday.

flockshot

« Reply #149 on: Mar 07, 2006, 10:00 AM »
no..but wet cracks are starting form..and it is wet and soft on top...it wont be long..just depends on the lake your gonna go too...its looking like last ice ice for sure

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.