Author Topic: good day jigging public water northeastern ct  (Read 5794 times)

Offline logicallycompromised

• IceShanty Rookie
good day jigging public water northeastern ct
« on: Jan 25, 2021, 06:56 PM »
hello good sir and misses,

after a tough first 2 trips out towards end of last year i got out today with a friend and we both did well.  i stayed an hour longer than my friend and the action got hot.  here is my breakdown 22 yellow perch, 23 crappie, 2 bluegill, 1 pumpkinseed, 1 largemouth bass; 49 total fishing landed with me removing the hook under control.

here are the mistakes i made so you can possible learn or be reminded of.
i broke my line at the jig on fish number 50 as i had neglected checking throughout the cold day. the fish was not a monster so the lesson did not hurt as bad but i need to pause and address this every 20 fish or after a toothy encounter.

i think daiwa make some of the best reels for everything other than micro size.  their drags suck on the small 500series reels, i own 4 of them of various models.  i have started to replace them with okuma ceymer 10,  much better reel, buttery smooth drag even in freezing conditions.  both my friend and i would have landed a couple more fish we lost because of drag issues with our daiwas. 

second i built most of my tiny rods with micro guides to have the fastest actions possible and in the pursuit of minimalism.  in freezing conditions they perform poorly and i lost a couple fish because my braid to flurocarbon leader knot got caught in ice while fighting fish.  i lost a 17" bass at the hole, it hit its head several times before popping off, i was never able to get it to steer into the hole.  i was rushing it as this was during the hot last hour and i paid the price with not landing and counting the fish.

my friend and i are on similar setups.  after several years, he finally bought a garmin 4cv like i use for vertical fishing; not a better system available anywhere close to the same price point of 100-150 dollars.  i helped him get it all dialed in and he had a great day.  similar break down and number to i but he landed 3 bass up to about 15".  i can see the 5mm tungsten jig and small fish as deep as 90 fow when i caught a 4.5" smelt.  as i have mentioned in the past, i use this same system year round.  i have caught and released over 4500 fish with same setup over the last 3 years since i developed it.  the main line is either daiwa j braid #6 or berkely nanofil 4# (breaks over 6# but gets flossy and holds water when it gets tired)  both get a double alrbight to about 3' of some premium fluorocarbon tippet ~6# breaking strength but with similar .006" that cheap 2# flurocarbon has.  both lines repeal water well and i justify the added cost of both lines to have added tensile strength per diameter.

if you have any questions i will do my best to field them.

i will continue to update this post as i get out this season.  plan on getting out on some new water tomorrow.
be safe!
do what they do, get what they get.
refinement reflects understanding...the more you know, they less you need.
science is love, science is life.
i enjoy fishing and happy to help others find similar or greater levels of joy and success; just need to reach out to me.
peace and long life!

https://www.instagram.com/logicallycompromised/

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: good day jigging public water northeastern ct
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2021, 04:42 PM »
another solid day, just got back from pubic water in northeastern ct.  this spot had 2.5" and i needed to cross 1.5" to get on it.  i took my crampons off to be safe for most of the day; on marginal ice it is best to stay off and if you do chance it do not wear spikes as it puts your weight into smaller contact patch and increase risk or falling it....but fortune favors the brave.

caught two jumbo perch one was 12-3/4" other was 13-1/4"  one nice catfish 17" and one large pickerel 23".  i am happy i made an adjustment today.  i have lots of data with this system and i was dancing with too many fish without a noticeable feeding response.  i reduced my dressing by 1/2 size and it made all the difference.  same size jig just smaller more delicate sized dressing.

59 yellow perch, 4 bluegill, 2 pickerel, 1 catfish 1 crappie; 67 total.
broke one off, heavier fish at double albright knot(i do not use superglue as it tends to weaken)

i will try to get out again tomorrow.
never stop asking questions and be safe!
i enjoy fishing and happy to help others find similar or greater levels of joy and success; just need to reach out to me.
peace and long life!

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2021, 06:40 PM »
Awesome fish! Love reading the research findings and seeing the stats.

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2021, 05:05 AM »
Nice!! You’ve got a nice fishery wherever you are!

Offline wrx2017

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2021, 06:04 AM »
Channel cat? Only two lakes I know of in the northeast with them. I wanted to try and get on some winter cats once the ice thickens up. 2” won’t hold my fat ass.
-Josh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2021, 05:50 PM »
Awesome fish! Love reading the research findings and seeing the stats.
  collecting data, asking questions and making objective observations is what got me here.  with the system i just wrote, i arrived at this vertical fishing system within 2 months of catching my first ice fish jigging.  if i fished much larger i would catch 1/4 of the fish. need to adjust to each fishery and time of year.

Nice!! You’ve got a nice fishery wherever you are!
yes and no, i get these results just about everyplace i fish.  i adapt better than most are willing too.  i miss out on some larger fish but i am still please with the action and land bigger fish more than i can complain.  today landed several catfish 2-3 pounds on same size jig the 23" pickerel took yesterday.  i have watched several thousands of fish tell me they are happy to eat this jig and dressing without much provocation.  there are better fisheries in terms of average size fish but not many around northeastern ct. 

Channel cat? Only two lakes I know of in the northeast with them. I wanted to try and get on some winter cats once the ice thickens up. 2” won’t hold my fat ass.
let me know when you want to get out Josh.  the whole state will be locked up soon and the ice was sketchy even for me today as it was sitting 1-2" underwater from the holes i drilled yesterday.  i prefer to fish a spot more south eastern for larger fish and sacrifice some numbers but i get out a lot and open to new experiences as you know.

58 total fish with many quality fish. if i had another 8+ perch over 12" i would definitively say it was my best at this lake.  still an above average day for me ice fishing this lake.

44 yellow perch(4 over 12" and 6 from 11-12) 8 catfish up to 19.5" and most over 17", 3 bluegills, 2 pickerel(one was 20" and lost another larger one around 21"), 1 crappie  the crappie was doing crappie things out in 30 fow suspending in 10 feet.  i reeled up to it and needed two chances to catch it.
the catfish are crazy, i can now tell them on the screen and i hooked almost all of them in the corner of their long whiskers.  the bite is one of the most supple i have observed. i wait for them to mope around and get to my jig and just watch the spring bobber like a hawk, if there is any movement it is them touching it with those whiskers.  i have to rest the rod on my leg to be dead still in between dancing the jig.
i needed to have the micro dressing on the same jig today as well.  i broke my .011" spring bobber on my preferred rod 90 minutes before i left.  i still caught 2 nice perch and a catfish on one of the backups with a scaled up version of the system; i.e. jig and dressing.  missed out on maybe 8 fish if i could have resumed with more ideal setup.

i will take the next 2-3 days off and hit a new spot hard on monday. be safe out there.  i had a close call today from being complacent i was trying to drill more holes in a spot and was walking with a purpose when the ice starting cracking which it was not doing all day for me.  i stopped and drilled a 1.75" thick hole and tipped my hat and walked back the way i came.  the ice does not lie and the lack of cracking is often what keeps me out on marginal ice.

will make another spring bobber and get the gear in minto shape for some new adventures.  the next spot i fish i have a chance to catch a ct trophy perch without live bait and that is my only ice fishing goal.

be safe, live long and prosper!
peace and long life!

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2021, 05:53 PM »
On the topic of ice fishing for cats, anyone ever hook a chicken liver to a tip-up and let it sit at the bottom? I’d imagine you could get tangled up nicely once the cat goes for a run.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2021, 07:05 AM »
Who taught you how to use this system?  My understanding is not too long ago someone named Mike taught you to use thst graph and now you never have a bad trip.  Ice fishing with electronics...I think Dave Genz invested this system like 45 years ago.

Lately my system has been down...but the amazing grass is up.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2021, 07:14 AM »
I am trying to figure out what the difference is from this system 🤔 to my system or my buddies system. Glad you are catching fish no doubt,  but the word invented does not belong. Dril a hole, drop a small jig down hole, catch fish. Icefishing. Enjoy it but the wheel already exists.
Just add water.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2021, 08:26 AM »
Got to be an engineer.  Complicate a fart!  Sorry to the engineers out there but you know it's true. ;D ;)

Offline jhartrx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2021, 08:31 AM »
Was able to get out on Bigalow for the first time this season.  Slow bite though.  Dropped 4 traps and jigged a bit.  Nothing came out if the holes.

Offline wrx2017

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2021, 08:36 AM »
On the topic of ice fishing for cats, anyone ever hook a chicken liver to a tip-up and let it sit at the bottom? I’d imagine you could get tangled up nicely once the cat goes for a run.
I plan on trying this later this year. I will let you know how it works out. I was planning on using a circle hook with chicken liver at night and wait for the tip up lights to start going off. I doubt they would get tangled up any more than any other fish.
-Josh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2021, 09:04 AM »

i am not sure.  they do roll around a lot during the fight.  catching them on a jig is not that bad.  they do tend to take their time interacting with it, feeling with their whiskers.  many fish if they are in the area you will get a reaction or nothing from them within a minute most the time.  most of the catfish i have to play with for over that time and if i did not have that extra sensitive spring bobber i made specifically for the weight of the jigs i use i doubt i would catch 1/4 of the catfish.  i have had a coupe take it in the middle of the mouth and crush it but after yesterday i wonder how many striked the jig and i never knew?

Who taught you how to use this system?  My understanding is not too long ago someone named Mike taught you to use thst graph and now you never have a bad trip.  Ice fishing with electronics...I think Dave Genz invested this system like 45 years ago.

Lately my system has been down...but the amazing grass is up.

i did not think he name was Mike, if i am incorrect i am sorry.  the guy i recall was Ray.  my first day he helped drill some holes for me and gave me a crash course with his flahser unit and answered all the questions i had for him at the time.  i had already ordered the garmin and in fact the next day or two later i showed up with it and the learning continue to evolve.  the finder taught me the most and was the best source of data; it does not lie.

i have had days i struggled to adapt to conditions and will continue to have them.  i still need to improve my ability to find fish.  what i have learned is that the system converts on most the fish i do find.  in fact after i got the garmin i started to realize how many fish i interacted with and never felt a bite so i started the journey to try and catch all these fish as i wanted to know more about why, what i was doing was not working.  if most people invested the time into this, that i have they could also reach a similar or better level of success.  i know there are people out there with better reflexes and have a better understanding of the migratory patterns of their quarry.  this system is incredible forgiving and allows me several chances to hook the fish most times.  the added benefit is when the fishing is hot, i do not have to keep replacing bait and getting hands cold.

what do you mean by the amazing grass is up?  i am not well read, so if you are alluding to something i am sorry i missed it.

I am trying to figure out what the difference is from this system 🤔 to my system or my buddies system. Glad you are catching fish no doubt,  but the word invented does not belong. Dril a hole, drop a small jig down hole, catch fish. Icefishing. Enjoy it but the wheel already exists.

if i used the word "invented" than shame on me as i understand the connotations associated with that word and avoid it.  most people with my gear and system talked about would have similar or greater success.

that question you ask is the start of a journey.  start looking for more clues each trip, they present themselves often if you are looking for them.  the most important tool in my journey was the 100$ garmin.  the information it provided fueled and continues to fuel questions.  it believe it is vastly superior to flashers and cost most less than most of them.  so know you start to learn where the fish live regardless of if you catch them.  the questions flow much quicker so long as you get some sort of feedback.  what i have learned over the years with the electrons i think i could do almost 65% or so as well without it.  the softest spring bobber is also important and the dressing i discovered helps me immensely as i get a couple chances to hook the fish.  i still need to make adjustments most trips and had i made no adjustments these last two trip i woud have maybe caught 20 fish.  i had to trust my previous experience that something was off.  i was finding fish but could not see them eating the jig even with soft spring bobber.  i had to start asking questions and the first change which made most sense worked.  my troubleshooting loop is smaller than most and it makes adjustments easier on me.

most people here have academic and professional achievements i may never be able to relate with.  they have the ability to troubleshoot and likely do so more efficiently than as they have more natural talent.  but when they fish they do not approach it the same way as other areas of their life.  maybe they are burned out and what to relax more and not put forth the effort? i invest lots of time because i need to as it is one of the few places which has consistently brought be joy in life.

there is no doubt others have reached a similar and superior understanding which i why i am surprised to be told i have used the word "invent" as i resent that label and feel it may undermine the information contained within.  one of my goals it to help people connect the dots and diction is important, as words can leave a sour taste in someones mouth and undermine the opportunity.

i should have chosen some of my words more carefully but you get the more unadulterated joy after some success.  sorry to those that i have offended, i will try to remove more emotion next time to avoid problems. 

my gear is all squared away after last night.  i ordered 5 more blanks last night as i want something with a little more give for the average smaller fish i tend to catch.  the current blanks are just about maxed out on these catfish but do not do as well on smaller panfish. i will buy a couple more of those ceymer 10 reels and phase out the tiny 500 series daiwas with crappy drags and slipping into reverse on hooksets.

be safe! peace and long life.
peace and long life!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2021, 11:00 AM »
Not trying to make a stink here but you say you reached a superior understanding and I know you are on your second maybe third season with tips handed over from an experienced angler (I know this because he is my friend and I recall our conversation when he met you and got that cool colored fish). I have been ice fishing for close to two decades. Others on here maybe 50 years or more. Every trip I take out I learn something new which is also what you are posting but then contradict yourself with your choice of words. By all means please do understand that I am happy that you enjoy ice fishing and that you are catching fish, we all do on here that is why we are here, most of us anyways. I do not know you personally nor as an angler. Just be humble, thankful, and remove a few dozen pairs of those horseshoes from that Shires. "Your system" is called fishing and many of us use the same techniques when we need to and adjust when we must. As anglers we do what we need when we need to catch the fish we are after. Adjusting, tweaking, downsizing, using our electronics, whatever it may be. Someone said engineer, they may be spot on or way off but either way, the word complicated is accurate. I would like to understand your ultimate goal here. I know it sounds like I am calling you out, well I am and its only because I have seen the same TYPE of post from you for the past 2-3 seasons now and I have not learned anything from your babble and my dots are growing farther apart.

These are your words -

there is no doubt others have reached a similar and superior understanding which i why i am surprised to be told i have used the word "invent" as i resent that label and feel it may undermine the information contained within.  one of my goals it to help people connect the dots and diction is important, as words can leave a sour taste in someones mouth and undermine the opportunity.

Just add water.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2021, 12:44 PM »
After reading the novels and reports I came to the conclusion that he needs to get laid.

We all do.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2021, 01:34 PM »
I'd like to know the magic dressing that goes on the jig. Ranch? Thousand island?

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2021, 01:52 PM »
I'd like to know the magic dressing that goes on the jig. Ranch? Thousand island?

We all know the secret is the 12'th spice.
Just add water.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2021, 02:23 PM »
We all know the secret is the 12'th spice.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2021, 02:26 PM »

Finger licking good. I like this thread more already!
Just add water.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2021, 09:19 AM »
you are correct, this is the third ice season. i took what i was able to recall from a 20 minute experience and continued to gain experience along the way.  i asked about what bait people use on their lures, Ray shared his lures and responded to the question.  i do not use any of those lures nor bait. i had an idea based on reading where the fish could be and i caught fish shallower that day to my surprise.  i have since developed a theory why and is a part of my success now.  this epiphany, resulted in a paradigm shift.  i had good results but one day had an experience which contradicted my previous results.  i embraced it and tested further to discover higher efficiency and switched game plans.  with enough questions, exploration and objectivity others can reach a similar conclusions.

i am sorry for wasting your time.

i am prepared to get out several times next week and most will be water i do not have as much time on.  i may even head to western part of the state if anyone wants to fish with me it will certainly be new experience for me.  i have conceded many times i need to improve the efficiency with which i find fish but experience has taught me i like my chances to convert of those fish i am able to find.

be safe and peace and long life!
peace and long life!

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2021, 10:03 AM »
What??  Alot of big words. Basically you took advice from Mike and Ray and claim it's own profound discovery.  Give credit where credit is due bro.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2021, 05:59 PM »
these are the days that make most others worth while; i.e. need some rain to appreciate the clouds.  almost left when i saw 20+ people fishing when i arrived.  i stayed with it and had a solid day.  i caught and released 26 yellow perch (only 3 of which were 10.5-11.5") 10 catfish (up to about 18" i did not measure any of them), and 1 bluegill.; 37 total fish.  averaging almost 53 fish per trip for the year.

i got the car stuck being careless as i left the water and was happy to get helped by a fellow fisherman.  i offered and he refused several times to take my money so i will pay it forward instead.  he made my night much brighten at the expense of him and his families time.  thank you stranger!

i built a rod the other day and it was too soft for heavier fish(suspect a little over a pound on fish with more bony mouths is the cut off); lost 5 catfish from terrible hooksets.  i am rebuilding another one or two tonight for the next couple of days of fishing.  i also need to stop using any reel spooled with anything other than nanofil in these super cold conditions.  either nanofil or straight flurocarbon.

i did not get the feeding response as often as i have come to expect today.  i had enough chances and these cold conditions help sort your gear out.  i drilled about 40 less holes today so mobility suffered some.  i thought i was going to find more fish so i need to reevaluate some.  one of the larger issues i think was not being able to get the job back down quick enough onto the schools before they were spooked and moved out. if i kept the fish this would help my cause as the school would remain more comfortable as a collective but that is not an option so i need my gear to function better and get back down as quick as i can; recommend thin line and tugsten jigs.

the place i wanted to explore this week is not safe so i will find some motivation to help keep me outdoors.
be safe!
peace and long life!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2021, 06:58 AM »
What??  Alot of big words. Basically you took advice from Mike and Ray and claim it's own profound discovery.  Give credit where credit is due bro.

;) Hey Jim, I discovered how to trade things with people to get things I don't have and give things I have a bunch of. After much deliberation, I had an epiphany and decided to call it bartering! After much deliberation, I concluded and discovered that if I do this with multiple people, I will ultimately have enough of everything to have a feast for many! I think I will call this Thanksgiving!

See my point bro?
Just add water.

Offline TheJigginJerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2021, 11:23 AM »
Why are you being so secretive about your “system”. It’s just panfish that you’re catching. It’s not that big of a deal if you reveal your secret bait. I’m sure plenty of other people already fish the same way.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2021, 12:24 PM »
i researched the solution and was not surprised others have been using it long before it crossed my mind.

teach a man to fish is the reason why i will likely never share it publicly.  people are better off if they can learn to think and process information correctly.  the added investment into the problem brings longer satisfaction and promotes better problem solving which other parts of their life can benefit from.  i have told some people and they underappreciated the process because they did not invest more in it.  i also know first hand how successful it is and not everyone practices sound fisheries management.  i am not apposed to people keeping fish to feed them and their family. i am apposed to people harvesting perch, crappie and bluegills which are 9+ years old because they need to feed their egos and/or are selfish and could not care less about providing a quality experience for future generations.

those which have an open mind can arrive at a similar conclusion.  those that complain i do not trust with being stewards to these resources our smaller, fragile fisheries support.  use your mind, you can figure it out and it will mean much more than someone handing it to you.

i wrote a quick article today which has some tips scattered throughout but also aims to teach a system which can help bring more success in your life.
if you are interested in reading the crudely organized article here is a link to follow; https://www.reddit.com/r/fishforlife/comments/lb1hjq/repeatable_success_can_boil_down_to_these_three/

i built up another two rods and now have two awesome reels with awesome drags, best ice line for freezing conditions.  i had to turn down the blanks to change the action to suite these fisheries better.  my gear is in better place moving forward now than ever before.  excited to get out the next couple of days.

send a pm if you want a quicker reply to your questions.

peace and long life!
peace and long life!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2021, 12:54 PM »
I read that link.  Wish I didn't.  The amount of arrogance in your writing is disgusting. 

Offline walikilr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2021, 01:23 PM »
Logically, how do you lose a 17” fish at the hole without measuring it first?

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2021, 01:36 PM »
The three stages of fishing; Catch anything, catch a lot, catch trophies. 4500 fish in 3 years puts you firmly in the second stage. At some point you will stop counting every dink that comes through the hole. To each their own. Good luck with the journey!

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 02, 2021, 01:39 PM »
Which by the way is 30 trips per year at 50 fish per trip X 3 years = 4500 fish. Good work.

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2021, 01:44 PM »
So this isn't the only platform on which you post really long and oddly worded "articles"?
As an English teacher, I find your posts tough to read, arrogance aside. There's probably some useful info in there if you're willing to sift through the rubble.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.