Author Topic: Looking for a new rod  (Read 2522 times)

Offline VTLakers

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking for a new rod
« on: Jan 18, 2021, 12:05 PM »
Looking for a new rod in the $40-$50 price range that has a little bit more of a back bone than the 13 fish neon pickle. I like how sensitive it is but I wish it has a little bit more of a back bone. Are there any options out there like this that have the flat tip on it but can handle bigger fish?

Offline Frankie Bags

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Looking for a new rod
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2021, 03:55 PM »
Certain versions of their widow maker series have the flat tip technology. I’m not sure what species you’re targeting but they do have more backbone.

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2021, 04:51 PM »
my be a clam deadmeat might work

Offline Nysrx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2021, 06:14 PM »
Have you checked out the 13 fishing snitch ice rod with quick tip. I had the widow maker with flat tips and did not care for them so I just went  with the ultra light widow makers. I like the quick tips better. I have the quick tips in 2 frabills rods and the one quick tip snitch rod.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2021, 07:31 PM »
my be a clam deadmeat might work

X2

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2021, 03:15 PM »
FF has rods on sale some under 10 bucks

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2021, 04:21 PM »
I got a snitch sn29 from No.8 tackle Co and it's become my favourite rod..tip is great for lighter fish and the backbone is unreal..landed a 18" walleye no problem at all..lighter bites are seen easily..really like it..

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2021, 05:07 PM »
I might be wrong but I believe that you have a 29 inch, Snitch #8, from the 13 fishing Co.  I have the same poles but mine are 25 inches long.  You are correct in that you can detect the lightest of bites and that they have a pretty good backbone to them.

quite possibly? probably just a rebrand? when I searched it gave me the results..never said 13 fishing on it and I bought it locally and it had this no 8 tackle branding on it not 13 fishing..no clue really..direct linking to the rod doesn't work but it's on this page

http://no8tackle.com/product-category/ice-gear/

also labeled as such here https://riversideoutdoors.ca/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=233

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2021, 05:38 PM »
No. 8 was a daughter company of 13 Fishing.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2021, 06:11 PM »
No. 8 was a daughter company of 13 Fishing.

nice man..thanks for the info

Offline VTLakers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2021, 07:05 AM »
Thank you all for the replys. I'm going to have to do some research now. I want a rod that could pick up the light bites and have a back bone to horse in fish. I think I'll be using it on pan fish mainly. I like fishing for white perch and they seem to come in schools, bite for a few seconds and then they are gone. So I want a rod that could put a few of them on the ice quick and get back down for the next one. But I also want to be able to catch smelt with and be able to detect the lightest bites.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2021, 11:00 AM »
Thank you all for the replys. I'm going to have to do some research now. I want a rod that could pick up the light bites and have a back bone to horse in fish. I think I'll be using it on pan fish mainly. I like fishing for white perch and they seem to come in schools, bite for a few seconds and then they are gone. So I want a rod that could put a few of them on the ice quick and get back down for the next one. But I also want to be able to catch smelt with and be able to detect the lightest bites.

You've basically described the dream rod that everyone wants for themselves.  However everyone is different in how they fish too.  There is one part the tool that does the job and one part the person that does the job as well.  When it all comes together, it works.  And that is the research that everyone has to do for themselves.

I will say that I change up from one rod to another throughout the years.  As one sometimes needs more power in the rod or more forgiveness and it varies according to the mood of the fish and everything else that can be a variable in it.  It sometimes starts with choosing one particular rod and making it your base rod to adjust from.  I sort of started with the St. Croix Premiere Ice rod in a ML power.  Everything else happens from there.  In the end, I use one particular rod more than anything else I use and it just happens to be my Thorne Bros. Panfish Sweetheart custom 32" rod with bait casting reel.  It's used for anything from smelt to catfish.  However the Panfish Sweetheart rod is power level of L instead of ML.  The Thorne Bros. Perch Sweetheart rod is better rated as a ML power.  When I use the Perch Sweetheart there are a few things as to why and when I do so.  One is I'm catching larger fish.  I'm using heavier lures.  I need a more responsive hook set in deeper water.

Thus I've been trying various rods to mimic the Thorne Bros. but at a lower cost point.  Closest I came was a Clam Carbon Ice Team rod.  However the fish playing is way different feel, and the Thorne Bros. rod would remain a choice for me.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline VTLakers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2021, 10:03 AM »
Ended up Buying the Snitch 8 in 29in length.

Offline VTLakers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2021, 11:24 AM »
Your going to love it!

I hope so, you recommended it haha. After all anyone who chooses a rod for their name on IS must know a thing or two about it. Thank you for the recommendation! Looking forward to getting it and trying it out.

Offline VTLakers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2021, 07:29 AM »
Thats good news. Ill be going for some white perch that can get over 2 lbs in the next coming weeks. Really looking forward to using the new rod.

Offline Nysrx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2021, 05:36 PM »
You will love the 29 inch It has a good back bone to it. Did you get the quick tip or do they all have the quick tip. I love my 27 inch widow makers in the ultra light too. But they cost twice as much and dont have the quick tips.

Offline VTLakers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2021, 01:37 AM »
You will love the 29 inch It has a good back bone to it. Did you get the quick tip or do they all have the quick tip. I love my 27 inch widow makers in the ultra light too. But they cost twice as much and dont have the quick tips.

Yes it does come with the quick tip. I was looking at the widow makers as well but decided to try snitch and see how I like that first.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.