Author Topic: Cordless help  (Read 2732 times)

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
Cordless help
« on: Jan 16, 2021, 05:37 AM »
Anyone use a porter cable 20 v 1/2” drill for their ice drill setups? Also looking at aftermarket 20v 5A battery by powerextra to possibly power the drill ?
TIA

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Cordless help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2021, 06:51 AM »
I’d post this on the general forum, you might get more answers. The biggest thing to keep in mind is torque at low speeds. If you don’t have enough torque you drill will burn up after a year or so. Most people use hammer drills. I have a 2804-20 Milwaukee and love it.
Tight Lines!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2021, 06:54 AM »
I do not, I do know the 20v porter cable nailer I have that was given to me has zero balls and the batteries are weak. My Ridgid nailer will shoot for days and through anything.  The 20v like with the Dewalt Vmax is a marketing ploy because at time it can Max at 20 volts but it’s just a 18 volt battery like the rest. If I was buying a drill for ice fishing it would be a ridgid or Milwaukee. It won’t burn out if you get the right models and the batteries are amazing
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2021, 08:21 AM »
I do not, I do know the 20v porter cable nailer I have that was given to me has zero balls and the batteries are weak. My Ridgid nailer will shoot for days and through anything.  The 20v like with the Dewalt Vmax is a marketing ploy because at time it can Max at 20 volts but it’s just a 18 volt battery like the rest. If I was buying a drill for ice fishing it would be a ridgid or Milwaukee. It won’t burn out if you get the right models and the batteries are amazing
Thanks that’s the info I needed to hear. Already have the porta cable and know the batteries don’t stand up to the competition

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2021, 08:31 AM »
Theses are the most used and respected by IS members

Dewalt DCD991

Dewalt DCD996

Dewalt DCD997

Dewalt DCD998

Dewalt DCD999

Milwaukee 2804-20

Milwaukee 2803-20

Ridgid R86116

18V or Higher Brushless Drill

5 Amp Hour or Higher Battery

1/2” Chuck Type

Side Stabilizer /  Handle

Minimum Torque Rating of 84 Nm / 750 in. lbs.

No Load RPM Range of 0-550 RPM on Speed Setting 1

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=380953.msg4134724#msg4134724                                       
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2021, 08:36 AM »
I’m a huge fan of that Ridgid R86116

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2021, 08:36 AM »
Many times if you pony up for a 9ah battery you get a free tool you can just pick that drill and the warranty is killer

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2021, 08:38 AM »
dewalt DCD998W1 for me! Maybe on the priceier side but got it with a 8ah battery and it also came with a "free gift" which I could pick from 10+ delwalt items and I picked a cordless circular saw that I needed. So for $275 I got a drill and a saw from Lowes.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2021, 08:49 AM »
Note the DeWalt 998/999 only have the higher torque over 1000 UWO when using the 6ah or 8ah Flexvolt battery ..I believe if you use a regular Dewalt 5ah battery you only get the equivalent of the 991/996 UWO of 850
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2021, 09:05 AM »
Milwaukee Fuel 2703-22 18V is what I use, if you have the K drill this is one of a few drills they recommend..I believe each auger has their own minimum recommendations  ???   I could be wrong... I watched a guy with a auger bit he bought at cabelas use an inferior drill, it was agonizing to say the least....  I offered to drill his holes for him. I think I insulted him ??? LOL
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2021, 09:09 AM »
Note the DeWalt 998/999 only have the higher torque over 1000 UWO when using the 6ah or 8ah Flexvolt battery ..I believe if you use a regular Dewalt 5ah battery you only get the equivalent of the 991/996 UWO of 850

good to know! I only plan to use bigger 8ah and 6ah batteries when I am out fishing. I also have a few other dewalt tools so this was just keeping it in the family and makes thing simple for me.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2021, 09:17 AM »
Theses are the most used and respected by IS members

Dewalt DCD991

Dewalt DCD996

Dewalt DCD997

Dewalt DCD998

Dewalt DCD999

Milwaukee 2804-20

Milwaukee 2803-20

Ridgid R86116

1/2” Chuck Type

No Load RPM Range of 0-550 RPM on Speed Setting 1

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=380953.msg4134724#msg4134724                                       
I find this to be the most helpful for guys wanting to go the cordless drill route. However I would suggest this model Ridgid instead Model# R8611506BN
Internet# 313582516
Store SKU# 1005473124

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2021, 09:21 AM »
Milwaukee Fuel 2703-22 18V is what I use, if you have the K drill this is one of a few drills they recommend..I believe each auger has their own minimum recommendations  ???   I could be wrong... I watched a guy with a auger bit he bought at cabelas use an inferior drill, it was agonizing to say the least....  I offered to drill his holes for him. I think I insulted him ??? LOL

Underpowered/undertorqued drill combos will be an epic fail eventually ..there are some one off success stories ..small batteries off brand makes/model drill can drill some holes ...but if you drill holes like a mad man and dont want to worry the above list of drills have been field tested by IS members . Would hate to be on ice.. on a good bite and poof ...

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2021, 09:23 AM »
As already mentioned the flagship Milwaukee and Ridged will twist any screw out there...
You mentioned aftermarket batteries. I would avoid those and stick with factory battery packs for whatever brand you choose... You get what you pay for with those.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2021, 09:24 AM »
I find this to be the most helpful for guys wanting to go the cordless drill route. However I would suggest this model Ridgid instead Model# R8611506BN
Internet# 313582516
Store SKU# 1005473124

You are so correct ..I have been posting that list for a while my bad ...let me up date my list and repost

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2021, 09:27 AM »
Dewalt DCD991

Dewalt DCD996

Dewalt DCD997

Dewalt DCD998 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Dewalt DCD999  must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Milwaukee 2804-20

Milwaukee 2803-20

Ridgid Octane  R8611506B... must use 6ah or better Octane battery to avoid cut out issues

1/2” Chuck Type

No Load RPM Range of 0-550 RPM on S

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2021, 09:35 AM »
Skip to the 00:32 mark ..makes the point of proper tool for the job .

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2021, 10:03 AM »
He does have another video out ..Using the Ryobi P251 the specs on the the drill are 750 in/lbs and uses 4 ah battery ..not much chatter with this drill ..but it is impressive ..not a fan of that handle though ...if your in the Ryobi plateform this may be a viable option ..Clam Plate may be a great option as well as that side handle is prone to a sure break off

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Brushless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Driver-Kit-with-4-0Ah-LITHIUM-Battery-Charger-and-Bag-P1813/300225309#product-overview

Offline Ed M

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2021, 10:38 AM »
I've used Ryobi P251 for 4 seasons, no problems. 750 torque.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2021, 11:00 AM »
As already mentioned the flagship Milwaukee and Ridged will twist any screw out there...
You mentioned aftermarket batteries. I would avoid those and stick with factory battery packs for whatever brand you choose... You get what you pay for with those.

I second this! I make my living with batteries, do not buy aftermarket or the amazon refurbished

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2021, 11:18 AM »

X3 on this ..most times its the weaker celled battery from who knows where in these flyby night operation ..In the fall Milwaukee battery deals were all over the place ..with and without a tools ..probably something in a good price range towards fathers day ..mostly on batteries and outdoor tools ..the drill deals are the low end one .

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2021, 11:30 AM »
I second this! I make my living with batteries, do not buy aftermarket or the amazon refurbished

Same here!!!  I can’t afford to buy aftermarket batteries and be on a job and have my tools S@*# the bed on me
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2021, 12:23 PM »
Thanks for bringing this up, Stealth and those who agreed!
I'm all set on stock batteries, but have a friend who has been trying to tell me the aftermarkets are just as good.  ??? I was skeptical, but have no experience with aftermarkets.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2021, 12:44 PM »
Thanks for bringing this up, Stealth and those who agreed!
I'm all set on stock batteries, but have a friend who has been trying to tell me the aftermarkets are just as good.  ??? I was skeptical, but have no experience with aftermarkets.

I didn't lose any money but a fella we had at the shop about a year ago... He found bootleg Milwaukee 12.0 packs for like 80 bucks. One seemed legit for about a week, getting 2 days out of his 1/2" impact before getting down to 2 bars. After a few more weeks it wouldn't a last day. The 2nd one had cutout and charging issues, some internal connection problem. Last I saw he was using the Milwaukee 5.0s that came with the tool kit.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2021, 02:15 PM »
Here's a good video on aftermarket battery comparison. In short, you get what you pay for from China. He doesn't test the longevity of them after months of use in this video.

Offline george_l

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2021, 08:11 PM »
I have been using the 5 amp hour batteries that came with my Milwaukee kit.  I have been impressed, and I don't see myself needing more those 2 for a single day.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2021, 10:21 PM »
I didn't lose any money but a fella we had at the shop about a year ago... He found bootleg Milwaukee 12.0 packs for like 80 bucks. One seemed legit for about a week, getting 2 days out of his 1/2" impact before getting down to 2 bars. After a few more weeks it wouldn't a last day. The 2nd one had cutout and charging issues, some internal connection problem. Last I saw he was using the Milwaukee 5.0s that came with the tool kit.
Thanks again, Stealth. Makes a lot of sense to me. If they're going to sell something a lot cheaper, they're probably cheating on parts and or labor.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.