New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: “SANDY POND “by Boggey  (Read 136322 times)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: “SANDY POND “by Boggey
« Reply #690 on: Dec 13, 2022, 08:37 PM »
New Old Guy/Boggey good to see a post from you Happy holidays to you and the family. Best wished for you and everyone else who fishes sandy pond on a regular basis the coming ice fishing season. Enjoy your reports each year.
 steve

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #691 on: Dec 14, 2022, 03:53 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,
Just thought I’d send you a picture to remind us all why we love those beautiful sunsets over the Pond.
Yes, that’s ice. Very thin , nevertheless ice.

Also notice the water level. Last year the water level was up to the third rock from the top. This year it is 4’ lower. Still , you got to admit, it is beautiful. All for now.
Boggey

Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #692 on: Dec 15, 2022, 04:41 AM »
hey   old  boy good  to see  you  back at the   computor  keeping us adviced  on the  pond   missed seeing you down  at  my river this fall   i did  well  buddy  but i have a  hot  seat waiting for you this spring ;D

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #693 on: Dec 15, 2022, 04:54 AM »
Looking good Jim.
 Hope we don’t get all the snow there calling for..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #694 on: Dec 15, 2022, 06:55 AM »
Jim...

Yessir - buddy...cannot wait for ice to thicken and harden - but that may take a while :-[ with this incoming dump of snow.

I'm with 'dacker...would love for this snow to miss us.

Your inputs and pictures are very appreciated.

~ArkAngel

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #695 on: Dec 15, 2022, 01:19 PM »
I’m assuming that winds tore up what ice was forming on the pond. My son and I are working on Oneida, on the river, the winds broke up that ice and sent it down river. I’m speaking on the west end…. Had a pretty good east wind down here today.
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #696 on: Dec 21, 2022, 08:46 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

The Pond looks deceptively alluring. The ice , at first glance is “locked up” as far as I can see, but one gingerly placed footstep out from the ramp witnesses a thin dusting of fresh snow over an inch of crusty white ice, which quickly gave way to the slightest weight.
It would be nice to believe this lock up would hold over Friday’s high temps and high winds to get a start for a good ice build come Monday.
In the interim Old Boggey has his spies up on the River and I have talked to one of my fishing buds by phone who is standing on 6”+ of ice at this writing.

Unfortunately I can’t join him yet. Getting a jell injection in the right knee this afternoon. Hope, pray all goes well with a quick recovery.

If your bent on early ice, go north guys & gals.
Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #697 on: Dec 21, 2022, 08:55 AM »
Boggey, hope all goes well, MERRY CHRISTMAS!....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #698 on: Dec 21, 2022, 03:21 PM »
Hope all goes well and good. May the gods bless you with a speedy recovery and us with some Xmas ice.

Happy holidays.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #699 on: Dec 21, 2022, 03:34 PM »
Good luck Jim.

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #700 on: Dec 21, 2022, 06:00 PM »
Good luck Jim hope it works

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #701 on: Dec 22, 2022, 06:33 AM »
Jim...

As always - your real time observations are well received by us Pond Rats.  You're one of the few that can give us hope.

This time of year - I log on to my work laptop any time after 0430...and I must admit I get a liiiiittle excited when I see your thread up near the top - maybe there are pictures...maybe there is an updated "trudge report"...ohhh the possibilities...!!!

I too have spoken to a friend up around Waddington on the River - there is fishable ice up that way...and lakes/ponds up there might be looking very good next week too - but alas - warm weather in the forecast by middle of next week. :-[ :-[ :-[

Prayers for you and yours as we slide into Christmas...and best of luck on your procedure. Give my best to Anne...and I look forward to talking (and fishing) with you soon.

~Arkangel
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #702 on: Dec 23, 2022, 04:18 PM »
Hiedi hoo neighboroonie. Guess who moved to town and coincidentally got a place next to the man the myth the legend boggey himself. Can’t wait till it gets safe out there so I can pick every information y’all have. Gonna be a hell of a year!!!!! See you Jim on the weekend. You know how I roll pop in pop out but can’t wait to get some time out there
.... AND TO THE FISHING GODS WE SHALL PRAY

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #703 on: Dec 24, 2022, 02:45 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,
First of all, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Just got back in from an ice check off of the Blind Creek Ramp ( across the creek from Stanley access). As I mentioned in my last post. The ice mat remained “locked” all the way across the Pond. Surprising as we had some horrendous winds Thursday night through Friday.

Since it held up and we had a couple of single digit nights, I trekked out to cut a couple of holes from my access ramp. Didn’t go out to far. The spud didn’t go through the ice, should say, white hard crusty snow, but there was a lot of it.

Cutting my hole I went through about 3 inches of that crusty snow, then dropped through about 1 inch of slushy snow and then another 3 inches of crusty snow beneath that.

3 subsequent holes beyond that extending 100 feet from shore, I witnessed the same pattern. 3 inches of hard crusty snow , thin layer of slush and 3”s of crusty snow under that.
As I mentioned, the howling wind has swept the ice clean of any snow cover.

Lest anyone interpret this as warranting even a modicum of safe access, let me first point out, the nature of this type of crusty snow pack can quickly dissolve itself into slush with the slightest warming and or rain.. Further, while the wind has subsided significantly from the past few days, the weather forecast is for a foot of snow or more over the next few days. This will further insulate this “bad ice” and prevent any significant hard ice build.
Lastly, looking up and down the Pond, I didn’t see any other takers. A good sign, Wisdom abounds. Please, all stay safe.

Yo Nikonsdream, your Christmas  present. I did enough snow blowing in your front yard to get you off the road.

Yo Arkangel, our Buddy, BigBuck is coming up from PA in 2 weeks. Warming trend will most likely drive us up to LOTI instead. Merry Christmas to you and your Anne as well.

Yo Jigger, waiting for that invite to go North buddy. Yo Stu, hope all is well with you and your Family my friend. Merry Christmas bud. Bruce & Dom, Merry Christmas to you as well.
Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells……Boggey

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #704 on: Dec 24, 2022, 02:49 PM »
Merry Christmas Jim..

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #705 on: Dec 24, 2022, 02:52 PM »
Thanks Jim, your hospitality since we have been there has been nothing but excellent. Couldn’t ask for a better neighbor

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #706 on: Dec 24, 2022, 04:31 PM »
Merry Christmas Jim.

Sounds like the pond needs a little more time. That crusty snow is never good.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #707 on: Dec 24, 2022, 04:51 PM »
Merry Christmas Boggey!!

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #708 on: Dec 25, 2022, 03:34 PM »
Yo Trap
Might join you bud especially if the warm up and rain knock us out midweek. Merry Christmas bud.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #709 on: Dec 25, 2022, 03:38 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals, Congratz to Nykonsdream. He just passed his test for plumbers license. Now we got a plumber in the hood. Yay,yay👍👍👍

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #710 on: Dec 25, 2022, 03:39 PM »
well ole  boy  you are always  welcome to fish with  me   ;D

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #711 on: Dec 25, 2022, 08:47 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals, Congratz to Nykonsdream. He just passed his test for plumbers license. Now we got a plumber in the hood. Yay,yay👍👍👍

Thank ya

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #712 on: Dec 26, 2022, 07:25 AM »
Jim...nykonsdream...Ki ngPerch...Sandy Ponders all...

Identify yourselves  ;D ;D ;D  I'd like to connect with the ice fishermen of the Pond.

A very Merry Christmas and properous New Year to you all.

nykonsdream...congrats on your plumbing license...!!!

I found myself in need of plumbing advice on Christmas Eve as I had frozen pipes at my house in Endwell.  It's only happened once before and both times it was wind related and deep in the exterior walls of my house.  Nothing really to be done except jack up the interior heat and a hair dryer on the affected quarter turn valve.

Happily...5 hours later the situation resolved itself WITHOUT any damage.  Our friend Boggey was not so lucky when he too had frozen pipes and it turned in to a little project - eh, Jim...?

Back to fishing.  Yes...thinking good thoughts about ice but the projected forecast is not friendly.  Just heard there are 10' waves in the SLR and the TI bridge servicing Wellesley Island is CLOSED  because of wind.

Hoping LOTI survives - time will tell.

Gentlemen - I am a 30 plus year Pond Rat with a seasonal place in a park on the North Pond.  Most of that time I (and family) have been snowmobilers - but we've gotten out of the sport and I've fallen head first into an old love of mine - Ice fishing...!

Once we have fishable ice - I will be a weekend warrior and would like to team up with like minded and geographically situated fishermen of Sandy Pond hard water.  I have been fortunate...no...bless ed...to become acquainted with J-Boggey and fished with he and BigBuck on the North Pond for an afternoon outing that saw a number of Perch taken and a northern pike and pickerel or two - as well as one of the best wintertime sunsets in recent memory.

Looking to make similar contact(s) for (mostly weekend) time on the hard water. Let's go fishin' when the weather Gods cooperate!

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #713 on: Dec 26, 2022, 05:25 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Mark, 8:06 am, Dec, 22nd. That’s the latest I can remember, catching my first keeper on the Pond.

Well, I have to fess up, I made entry on the Pond down at the south end although a birds eye view from the WigWam showed vast stretches of open water from the center of the Pond back to the island and along the sand barrier .

Alas, the weather report for all points north was not good so my fishing buddy , Kitzy, joined me for a trek out on the ice. 6-7 inches.There were about 6 other shanties set up in front of the WigWam, but Kitzy and I were further south.

I know, how much ice? How deep were you fishing? Did you catch any keepers? Here goes… 6-7 inches of ice. About 8-9’ of water where it used to be 12’. I kept 22 by 11:00 and was back at camp by 11:30. Average size was 9-10 inches. Did not catch a lot of dinks. Started with fatheads and finished with perch eyes , used my old standby chartreuse and green willow jig.

Note: if I gave you anymore information, I would have to charge you a “guide fee”😁😁😁

While I did my spud,spud,spud all the way out, I only cut “2” holes, both as I said, 6-7”s.

Please note worth repeating. There is a lot of open water out there yet and a good wind could still break up the Pond yet. Be careful be safe and don’t dare go out without your spud and use it.
Boggey

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #714 on: Dec 26, 2022, 05:37 PM »
nice report boggey

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #715 on: Dec 26, 2022, 06:02 PM »
Jim...nykonsdream...KingPerch...Sandy Ponders all...

Identify yourselves  ;D ;D ;D  I'd like to connect with the ice fishermen of the Pond.

A very Merry Christmas and properous New Year to you all.

nykonsdream...congrats on your plumbing license...!!!

I found myself in need of plumbing advice on Christmas Eve as I had frozen pipes at my house in Endwell.  It's only happened once before and both times it was wind related and deep in the exterior walls of my house.  Nothing really to be done except jack up the interior heat and a hair dryer on the affected quarter turn valve.

Happily...5 hours later the situation resolved itself WITHOUT any damage.  Our friend Boggey was not so lucky when he too had frozen pipes and it turned in to a little project - eh, Jim...?

Back to fishing.  Yes...thinking good thoughts about ice but the projected forecast is not friendly.  Just heard there are 10' waves in the SLR and the TI bridge servicing Wellesley Island is CLOSED  because of wind.

Hoping LOTI survives - time will tell.

Gentlemen - I am a 30 plus year Pond Rat with a seasonal place in a park on the North Pond.  Most of that time I (and family) have been snowmobilers - but we've gotten out of the sport and I've fallen head first into an old love of mine - Ice fishing...!

Once we have fishable ice - I will be a weekend warrior and would like to team up with like minded and geographically situated fishermen of Sandy Pond hard water.  I have been fortunate...no...bless ed...to become acquainted with J-Boggey and fished with he and BigBuck on the North Pond for an afternoon outing that saw a number of Perch taken and a northern pike and pickerel or two - as well as one of the best wintertime sunsets in recent memory.

Looking to make similar contact(s) for (mostly weekend) time on the hard water. Let's go fishin' when the weather Gods cooperate!
KP here! I’m ready for a little pond fishing!! 🎣🕳️

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #716 on: Dec 26, 2022, 08:22 PM »
Yo Larry

My exact same words . “Let the games begin”.😁😁😁

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #717 on: Dec 27, 2022, 09:15 AM »
Yo Larry
Snowing big time right now. 5”s in the last hour. Didn’t really need that.
If you do make it over, stop at the camp I Just put some baked beans (from scratch) in the oven. I’m giving free lessons on cribbage today.

Boggey

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #718 on: Dec 28, 2022, 07:48 PM »
Thanks for the reports Bogey, as usual you’ve supplied all the info anyone could need to catch fish. I didn’t make it out after all this morning and now the forecast looks horrible for the upcoming weekend, for ice anyways. Take care of that knee.  Be careful all, as that pond ice goes a lot quicker than it comes. 
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #719 on: Dec 28, 2022, 08:02 PM »
Yo Larry
Snowing big time right now. 5”s in the last hour. Didn’t really need that.
If you do make it over, stop at the camp I Just put some baked beans (from scratch) in the oven. I’m giving free lessons on cribbage today.

Boggey
Thank You for the offer my friend! Baked beans don’t agree with me…you know what I mean.😂 I’ll take you up on the cribbage lesson. Never played it before. If you’re playing for money, I’ll donate at the door.😁 see you soon bud!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.