The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: older jiffy weights  (Read 2837 times)

Offline snipersam

• IceShanty Rookie
older jiffy weights
« on: Jan 03, 2021, 12:39 PM »
I'm looking for the weight to the older jiffy all steel auger weights, model 30, 31, and white lightning, with 8 inch bits. 2 hp vs 3 hp. I have been unsuccessful in finding the weight anywhere, especially on the 2hp models.

Offline Hkb82

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: older jiffy weights
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2021, 12:55 PM »
I’ve got a 1999-2000 jiffy model 75 arctic blast that I’ll weigh next time I’m in my shop. It’s a 2hp tecumseh all steel and balls and ready to drill anytime lol. I’m thinking 30 lbs but I’ll post back hopefully later on today.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2021, 12:58 PM »
The model 30, 3 hp I had weighed 30-35 lbs.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2021, 01:31 PM »
This is what I found by doing a search.

Model 30 White Lightning 8" 31 lbs. Don't know if fuel tank was full or empty.

2hp White Lightning 8" 27 lbs with full fuel tank.

Hope this helped some.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline 77tech

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2021, 01:41 PM »
I have a Jiffy White Lighting model 76 with no fuel and a cold snap blade guard I get 28 lbs for the auger weighing myself with and without holding the auger.

Offline snipersam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2021, 02:43 PM »
This is what I found by doing a search.

Model 30 White Lightning 8" 31 lbs. Don't know if fuel tank was full or empty.

2hp White Lightning 8" 27 lbs with full fuel tank.

Hope this helped some.

that seems light for the model 30( 3 hp) any idea if that was with or without the auger attached? I have read that ith a 10 inch bit they were 38 pounds but have no way to validate that.

Offline snipersam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2021, 02:44 PM »
I have a Jiffy White Lighting model 76 with no fuel and a cold snap blade guard I get 28 lbs for the auger weighing myself with and without holding the auger.

thats not terrible, i assume thats with the 8 inch bit attached?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2021, 03:11 PM »
that seems light for the model 30( 3 hp) any idea if that was with or without the auger attached? I have read that ith a 10 inch bit they were 38 pounds but have no way to validate that.
I think the 3 hp Legend 10" was about 29 lbs. One of the members on IS works at Cabela's in Mitchell, SD and weighed quite a few augers in the store. His name on IS is STUMPER and I haven't seen him post on here in several years. I think it was probably in Sept of 2012 when he posted the weights if you want to do a search. I believe he said the model 30 white lightning weighed 30.4 lbs in the store as I remember. It seems everyone who weighs them comes up with a different answer.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2021, 03:37 PM »
One of the Jiffy propane models weighed 35 lbs in the 10" model and dropped a pound per inch as the diameter was reduced.

Offline Hkb82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2021, 05:15 PM »
Jiffy model 75 arctic blast with 8 inch blade plus full tank of gas.

Offline snipersam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2021, 05:28 PM »
I think the 3 hp Legend 10" was about 29 lbs. One of the members on IS works at Cabela's in Mitchell, SD and weighed quite a few augers in the store. His name on IS is STUMPER and I haven't seen him post on here in several years. I think it was probably in Sept of 2012 when he posted the weights if you want to do a search. I believe he said the model 30 white lightning weighed 30.4 lbs in the store as I remember. It seems everyone who weighs them comes up with a different answer.

I did go and find that post. but was that model 30 the old all steel one or the newer Chinese plastic everywhere engine? i do believe the model 30 name has been used on both.

Offline snipersam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2021, 05:30 PM »
Jiffy model 75 arctic blast with 8 inch blade plus full tank of gas.

very nice thanks for that! thats not bad. ive been using eskimos at 28 and 32 pounds for years would just like to keep my eyes open for one of these older all steel jiffys, but don't want a 3hp if its 35 pounds.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2021, 05:52 PM »
I did go and find that post. but was that model 30 the old all steel one or the newer Chinese plastic everywhere engine? i do believe the model 30 name has been used on both.
I think it was 08 or 09 when Jiffy changed engines. I think the 2 hp became a 2500 and the 3 hp became a 3500 and had a composite gear case while the 2500 kept the metal gear case. Don't remember for sure. I think Strikemaster started touting their "German engineered" engine about the same time without mentioning where they were actually being built.

Offline Hkb82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2021, 05:55 PM »
If you can find one of these oldies I’d grab it up. I never see the 2-3 feet of ice as others farther North do but I think it’s got more the enough stink to get the job done. Sharp blades is the key. I also like not needing to prime this tc300 motor as you do on the model 30s from that area and maybe still on newer ones.  It never floods just choke it and give it a few pulls and bingo bango your drilling. Also makes it easier if others are using it to pop holes. Nun of that prime it twice then pull it twice then prime it 5 times then 5 pull nonsense lol.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2021, 06:03 PM »
I bought a 2 hp Stealth when they came on the scene and my son is still using it. Sometimes we have 50 plus inches of ice here and it has no problem going through it.

Offline 77tech

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2021, 06:37 PM »
Yes my 28 lbs is with an 8 inch auger bit

Offline Hkb82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2021, 05:49 PM »
 Even though it’s kinda off the topic when I put the jiffy on the scale and posted the model 75 pics with results I started thinking right away wonder how much diff that is to my drill set up. Well here it is.
Milwaukee fuel 2804-20 with handle and 2 5ah batteries witch most carry but not always needed I guess. Also a 8 inch hand auger blade converted with a 8 or 9 inch extension. The plastic grocery bag was holding the 2nd battery. 12 lb 6oz. I was actually a little surprised as I thought it might be a little heavier. 

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2021, 05:54 PM »
Even though it’s kinda off the topic when I put the jiffy on the scale and posted the model 75 pics with results I started thinking right away wonder how much diff that is to my drill set up. Well here it is.
Milwaukee fuel 2804-20 with handle and 2 5ah batteries witch most carry but not always needed I guess. Also a 8 inch hand auger blade converted with a 8 or 9 inch extension. The plastic grocery bag was holding the 2nd battery. 12 lb 6oz. I was actually a little surprised as I thought it might be a little heavier. 

Nice, I'm looking at going that route and kinda figured I'd cut my auger weight in half.

Offline snipersam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2021, 08:30 AM »
I actually have a cordless drill auger I put together this year for early ice. A 6 inch lazer knockoff hand auger with a adapter I made. It weighs under 5 pounds without the drill. it drills a foot of ice in 4 seconds. I did also try an 8 inch and thought it was unnecessary stress on the drill for early ice.

Once i can drive on I use an eskimo propane auger. We can get 5 feet of ice here some years. I have a custom extension I made that has flighting that connects to the original flighting and runs to the top of the extension. This lets you drill top to bottom without lifting the auger once to clear chips. The lifting to clear chips 4 to 5 times a hole on deep ice is an absolute workout, and thats gone now.

The attraction to an older jiffy is the lack of plastic parts that I seem to be changing on a by-yearly basis due to rough ice travel conditions.

Offline snipersam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2021, 05:45 PM »
i got a chance to weigh a jiffy model 30 10 inch today on a good scale  (refrigeration scale). without the blade protector and with 3/4 tank of gas it weighed in at 36 pounds and change. from what ive read they get lighter by 1 pound if you drop 1 inch off the cut.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.