Author Topic: Drill powered ice auger can be a dangerous weapon!  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Walted

• Team IceShanty Regular
Drill powered ice auger can be a dangerous weapon!
« on: Jan 02, 2021, 05:45 PM »
I saw a guy the other day lean his drill auger set up against his sled. It tipped over and the trigger landed on the edge of the sled. You can imagine how dangerous a self propelled auger could be. Luckily no one was hurt and it fell off the sled on its own to come to a stop. After seeing this I just thought I should post as a warning to be careful where you lay your drill. Popping the battery out would be a good idea. Be safe out there.

Offline Duke M

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Drill powered ice auger can be a dangerous weapon!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2021, 08:50 PM »
I always, always, put the directional switch in the middle neutral position when I am not actively cutting holes.

Duke

Offline jjxx84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2021, 08:12 PM »
I always put the switch in the middle, and put the guard on the blades.  My buddies complain when I put the guard on saying its a hassle to take off.  Oh well, I'm here to fish not go to the hospital.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2021, 12:15 PM »
I just pop out the battery if there is water on ice or put switch in middle if im just leaving it outside my hub

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2021, 12:19 PM »
I always put the switch in the middle, and put the guard on the blades.  My buddies complain when I put the guard on saying its a hassle to take off.  Oh well, I'm here to fish not go to the hospital.
Leaving the guard off is also a good way to ding up blades, which aren't cheap these days. Using the guard seems like a 2fer to me... safety, and saving money. Even with the auger stationary, those blades can do some damage, too, if you bump into them with a hand or foot.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2021, 12:53 AM »
I often just put the blade cover back on, just because I would hate to loose the darn cover.

I just naturally put the drill switch in the neutral position.  That's how I just naturally do so.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.