The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Keys Down the Hole  (Read 3035 times)

Offline TheArchitect

• IceShanty Rookie
Keys Down the Hole
« on: Jan 01, 2021, 01:44 PM »
Has anyone else dropped their keys down the hole?

What have you dropped down the hole? 

A large magnet works to get your keys back....I tried it.  :thumbsup:

Offline Crestliner 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Keys Down the Hole
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2021, 01:50 PM »
Dropped my cell phone flew out of my hand didnt even hit the ice, went right in the hole

Offline TheArchitect

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2021, 02:05 PM »
Similar for me but slipped right out of my chest pocket that was zipped at one point!  Straight in and down they went.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2021, 02:09 PM »
About 20 years ago I was fishing with my uncle, leaned over to blow ice out of my bobber, and my glasses fell off and went straight into the water.

I got extremely lucky. We were in shallow, clear water fishing from a spear house, and he was able to fish them out with a big spoon. I'm legally blind without lenses... switched to contacts shortly after that event and haven't worn a pair of glasses since.

Dropped my lighter down the hole once, too when I was setting up, so I had no heat that day 😐

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2021, 02:21 PM »
numerous needle nose pliers,  sounders,   scoops,  1 can of root beer, 1 battery operated lantern. managed to jig the root beer and the lantern back onto the ice.  ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline walleyechobs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2021, 02:46 PM »
battery for my flasher

Offline Petoskey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2021, 03:36 PM »
Dropped my cell phone down a hole two years ago. Used some duct tape and taped a spoon to a spud. My buddy had an aqua vu camera so we dropped that in the hole I dropped it into to and was able to bring it back up on the first drop down!

Other than that I've lost a rod holder and one of those loopy things for jawjackers.
Fern got sick in ‘94 and missed 6 weeks on the hardwater with mono, don’t know what that means but I’ve used braid ever since

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2021, 03:56 PM »
battery for my flasher

Now that would be a major bummer !!

Offline mountana

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2021, 10:45 AM »
Lost a Leatherman down the hole just yesterday.

Offline Marauder2008

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2021, 10:50 AM »
A few years back my good friend lost his brand new iPhone down the ice hole.  Went on to have a killer season.  The next year another friend lost his flashlight down the hole, went on to catch his first tiger musky through the ice.  It's been a running joke since then that we must offer a sacrifice to the ice fishing gods at the start of each.
"When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too."

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2021, 10:59 AM »
A guy dropped his keys down a hole on one of our local lakes when he was drunk and fumbling around in the pocket of his bibs. Later a warden tried to arrest him for DUI but couldn't because he had no keys and didn't have control of his vehicle. Probably a lucky day for the fisherman.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline blackshirt7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2021, 11:16 AM »
Rod and rod holder (always leave bail open if there is a possibility of catching a pike), can’t seem to keep a pair of forceps out of the hole. I seem to lose them within one or two trips.

Offline HWP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2021, 11:29 AM »
Spider-Man action figure when I was a little kid. Still remember that red & blue slowly sinking out of sight. :'(

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2021, 11:46 AM »
I dont bring my keys out fishing at all.be it on the ice or in a boat.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2021, 11:57 AM »
I dont bring my keys out fishing at all.be it on the ice or in a boat.
How do you get back in your car? 🤨

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2021, 12:01 PM »
I have a philosophy.if you lock your car and someone wants in they will bust the window out so i keep nothing in it and have a magnet stash box.somewhere...i keep them unlocked nobody wants a stock radio out of a 89 dodge or Nissan Frontier.last time i locked my car is when i came back and someone busted my window out took my change out of the console.now if the want the change that is not there at least they dont bust my damn window.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2021, 12:08 PM »
I have a philosophy.if you lock your car and someone wants in they will bust the window out so i keep nothing in it and have a magnet stash box.somewhere...i keep them unlocked nobody wants a stock radio out of a 89 dodge or Nissan Frontier.last time i locked my car is when i came back and someone busted my window out took my change out of the console.now if the want the change that is not there at least they dont bust my damn window.lol

Ah. I always keep a small tool bag and a portable compressor in mine for "just in case" scenarios, plus a car seat for the kid, and those aren't cheap.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2021, 12:11 PM »
Keys on a small carabiner clipped to my bibs. no dropping and no fiddling with them
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2021, 12:22 PM »
Keys on a small carabiner clipped to my bibs. no dropping and no fiddling with them

I keep my keys in my first layer of pants. Bibs go on above them and keys never leave my pocket. I'll never leave my car unlocked if they break the window now it's breaking and entering and whatever they steal. I also don't leave anything in site that they would want to steal.
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2021, 12:44 PM »
I have a Ford truck, keyless entry.  My keys stay in there and my fishing buddy has the code in case of an emergency..
 Back in the early 80’s on lake Mac in Mi a buddy pulled out a Swiss Army knife that his grandfather gave him and proceeded to drop it down the hole. ;D ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2021, 01:20 PM »
after reading  about all you guys that have lest their cell phones down the hole, I clip mine on a lanyard and keep it around my neck. Always buy a protective case for it that has a loop for a strap.

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2021, 04:31 PM »
years back(wont tell how many) drilling holes with my spoon auger i drilled down to the handle and did not brake through.not wanting to drive the 96 miles home with out fishing the light bulb went off . i went got my truck jack(the notched part)which was about two feet long.i started banging away at the bottom of the hole all was going  well until it slipped out of my gloved hand to the bottom of the lake.needless to say i should of went home.no fishing it was 96 miles to the auto parts store for a new jack
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2021, 05:03 PM »
after reading  about all you guys that have lest their cell phones down the hole, I clip mine on a lanyard and keep it around my neck. Always buy a protective case for it that has a loop for a strap.
My fishing parka has a zippered cell phone pocket and that's where the phone goes. My phone is tied to my hearing aids using blue tooth for making and receiving calls which makes it very nice for me. The connection works when I'm within 30' of my phone.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2021, 05:20 PM »
drill a hole in door key and put it behind license plate.  the magnet deal works if you don't off road.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2021, 05:27 PM »
drill a hole in door key and put it behind license plate.  the magnet deal works if you don't off road.
keys are brass.i have a magnetic box my keys go that i put somewhere on/under truck.its only my ignition key i bring with me too.ive had all my keys on one keychain before and lost it.didnt have keys to any of the 3 vehicles or house,garage or sheds.I actually found a key cutting machine at a garage sale for 15$ last year.got duplicate keys now.

Offline Moaf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 02, 2021, 08:47 PM »
Once on a calm quiet Friday evening I witnessed a guy who had drove four hours to find fish able ice having an argument with his wife / girlfriend over the phone about how selfish he was for leaving for the weekend. The way he cursed when his phone slipped out of his hand and into the hole, I knew it wasn’t intentional.

He did fish a bit before starting to pack up of course.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2021, 08:41 AM »
Buddy dropped his cell phone AND his brand new 2 way radio down the same hole last year   :tipup:   ;D
Dont ask

Offline onpoint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2021, 09:05 AM »
I just bought a large magnet setup from amazon for these situations.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2021, 09:16 AM »
I have a phone case on a fishing lanyard that I put my phone in when I get out of the truck. It is permanently clipped to the D ring on my ice fishing coat. I know I would be the first one to lose it if it was not tied to me. I just use a cheap plastic case from Amazon, and make a loop of dyneema cord that goes through the speaker hole of the case. How that loop to a 1$ fishing lanyard, and I don't have to worry.

Offline VTLakers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 04, 2021, 11:39 AM »
Last year I tried to rig up one of the drill attachments to my 8 inch hand auger to see if it would work (kind of did but wasnt great). Once threw my first hole the bit came loose and down the hole it went leaving me with nothing but the drill. Went to the hardware store, bought a magnet attached it to a ratchet strap i had in the back of the truck and fished it up. Only thing I caught all day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.