The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Bought the new 24v Lithium StrikeMaster the other day  (Read 4731 times)

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Bought the new 24v Lithium StrikeMaster the other day
« Reply #60 on: Jan 19, 2021, 11:52 AM »
No trimming or modification needed?

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 19, 2021, 01:17 PM »
I had a honda 4 stroke strikmaster, it did well, quieter then a two stroke, but last 2 years have used 40v strikemaster, its a dream. Way better, I use a 10 inch hole and it cuts through no problems. I leave the battery on out in the cold never had a problem. Keeps the snow out of the terminals. I keep a cover on it on rainy days, not sure you really need to but I have it so why not, and it runs fine with a cover on it...Prices level out after a few years if you have to have it first your going to pay..... :-).
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
Just enjoying life

Offline Van Noord

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 20, 2021, 04:03 PM »
No trimming or modification needed?
Yes just a bit of modification required.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #64 on: Jan 20, 2021, 04:24 PM »
What did u have to modify
Just enjoying life

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Jan 21, 2021, 03:37 PM »
Pretty cool mod! definitely a lot of cheaper than a SM battery. Is the Greenwork a 4ah or 5ah?

Offline boxerdad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 21, 2021, 10:09 PM »
Pretty cool mod! definitely a lot of cheaper than a SM battery. Is the Greenwork a 4ah or 5ah?
It says 4 amp on the battery

Offline Van Noord

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 27, 2021, 07:30 AM »
4ah battery x 4!

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Jan 27, 2021, 07:40 AM »
Well it needs 4 batteries lol. The 54 holes through 10Ē of ice isnít very much. I still havenít received my auger back yet. I sent it in last Monday so itís been just over a week. Iím hoping it is back by this weekend and I can report back after giving it another go.

Offline Van Noord

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 27, 2021, 09:01 AM »
And four batteries it will gladly get! A very small price to pay to be able to run a 14lb auger.
Not sure I'll even need the third or fourth battery until late season.
Still way better than hauling around a gas can or my 40v Ion all season!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Jan 27, 2021, 09:25 AM »
While I didn't count holes last weekend I would guess I got alot more than 540". Needed near zero down pressure. Still not sold on the electric idea but with stimulus money burning a hole in my pocket it was the most reasonable addition to my gear

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Jan 27, 2021, 10:34 AM »
While I didn't count holes last weekend I would guess I got alot more than 540". Needed near zero down pressure. Still not sold on the electric idea but with stimulus money burning a hole in my pocket it was the most reasonable addition to my gear
Yep thatís why I got mine too. Stimulus money.

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Jan 27, 2021, 12:10 PM »
All my buddies with the electric drill setups are pretty impressed by how light and efficient it drills. Now I just need to add an 8" Lite Flite bit to the arsenal since I have the 6". Will definitely be picking up another spare battery for the late season ice. 

Btw, if you are on the fence about getting it, Cabela's online bargain cave has the 8" 24v for $299.99. Add another spare battery for $74.99. That should put you at $374.98 total. Still under the retail. Can't beat that price.

Offline Van Noord

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Feb 07, 2021, 09:02 AM »
Next step will be to purchase a locally made custom 12" lightweight aluminum extension specifically for the SM Lite Flite!

Offline Van Noord

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Feb 08, 2021, 09:59 AM »
Aluminum SM Lite Flite extension purchased and installed!

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Feb 08, 2021, 05:54 PM »
Aluminum SM Lite Flite extension purchased and installed!

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

I guess I will be the rude one, but can you do anything about those HUGE pictures?

Offline Van Noord

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Feb 09, 2021, 06:25 AM »

I guess I will be the rude one, but can you do anything about those HUGE pictures?
Not rude at all! Sorry but they show up normal size for me.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #77 on: Feb 09, 2021, 06:56 AM »
Normal on my phone
Just enjoying life

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Feb 09, 2021, 07:30 AM »
I use a desk top computer with a large screen (prefer not using the phone for the internet if I can avoid it), that must be the difference.  Most everybody else's pictures are normal in size, easy to view, for me, Van Noord's pictures look blown up like they were under a microscope.  Anyone else having this problem on their desk top, or is it just me?  Sorry to be silly about bringing this up, I assumed it was something the poster was not aware of.  When I take a picture with my phone, there is an option to send it large, medium, or small, would something like that make a difference on how it shows up here on a bigger screen?

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Feb 09, 2021, 07:35 AM »
The extension looks nice Van Noord! Little update on my 24v that I sent into SM. Ups lost it. So SM sent me a new one. The new one definitely drills better. I still have to use a little force but not bad. It doesnít drill as nice as the 40v though. Idk if itís the extra weight those have or what, but those 8Ē steel bits require absolutely zero pressure to drill. They will start drilling on their own. You simply have to hold it straight. I havenít done the battery/hole test yet, but I will.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #80 on: Feb 09, 2021, 08:33 AM »
I use a desk top computer with a large screen (prefer not using the phone for the internet if I can avoid it), that must be the difference.  Most everybody else's pictures are normal in size, easy to view, for me, Van Noord's pictures look blown up like they were under a microscope.  Anyone else having this problem on their desk top, or is it just me?  Sorry to be silly about bringing this up, I assumed it was something the poster was not aware of.  When I take a picture with my phone, there is an option to send it large, medium, or small, would something like that make a difference on how it shows up here on a bigger screen?

On my lap top his photos are like billboards ..if anyone can tell me how I can make my photos appear larger in my photo attachments to posts that would be appreciated..mine all seem not large enough to be helpful/descriptive as they tend to be quite small.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Online Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #81 on: Feb 09, 2021, 01:09 PM »

Depends on the size you choose when you upload.

Just right click on the pic and "open in new tab" if on chrome.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Feb 09, 2021, 01:18 PM »
The extension looks nice Van Noord! Little update on my 24v that I sent into SM. Ups lost it. So SM sent me a new one. The new one definitely drills better. I still have to use a little force but not bad. It doesnít drill as nice as the 40v though. Idk if itís the extra weight those have or what, but those 8Ē steel bits require absolutely zero pressure to drill. They will start drilling on their own. You simply have to hold it straight. I havenít done the battery/hole test yet, but I will.
Just a like how a lighter shotgun will have more recoil, a lighter auger will have more feedback.

Van Noord, where did you find the the Aluminum extension?

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Feb 10, 2021, 08:01 AM »
On a desktop or laptop the photos will be blown up due to the high resolution of the photos.

I know on some image hosting sites, you can resize the picture or you can copy the image url in different sizes like large thumbnail, medium thumbnail, and make it desktop friendly.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Feb 10, 2021, 09:24 AM »
Why donít you guys start a new thread about picture posting instead of ruining this one?? The topic here is the new 24v Strikemaster. Thank you.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #85 on: Feb 10, 2021, 10:13 AM »

Well that is good customer service ..good luck
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Feb 11, 2021, 07:11 AM »
Just a little review update on my 6" Strikemaster 24v since I purchased it back in the beginning of January. I've made about 15-20 trips already with it mostly run and gun type situation where I would drill 50-75 holes per outing. Now that our ice is thicker around here about 10"-12" in most places I still haven't been undergunned by the battery power. There was one trip where I drilled closed to 75 holes (my buddy was also using it too) and only used up 1 bar. I went out again the very next day on the same charge (forgot to recharge) and drilled 60 more holes. It still had 2 bars left at the end of the day.

So far I'm very impressed. Will be grabbing a SM Lite Flite 8" next year so I can swap the bit for the bigger species.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Feb 11, 2021, 07:52 AM »
Just a little review update on my 6" Strikemaster 24v since I purchased it back in the beginning of January. I've made about 15-20 trips already with it mostly run and gun type situation where I would drill 50-75 holes per outing. Now that our ice is thicker around here about 10"-12" in most places I still haven't been undergunned by the battery power. There was one trip where I drilled closed to 75 holes (my buddy was also using it too) and only used up 1 bar. I went out again the very next day on the same charge (forgot to recharge) and drilled 60 more holes. It still had 2 bars left at the end of the day.

So far I'm very impressed. Will be grabbing a SM Lite Flite 8" next year so I can swap the bit for the bigger species.

I can echo this, been really impressed with the auger, though we are approaching 16" of ice here but it's been so cold, I haven't been drilling as many holes as I was earlier so haven't really tested it in the thicker ice. I bought mine around Black Friday, and have not used my hand auger, or any other auger this season.

Only issue I've had is the cutting head getting iced up to where it wouldn't cut, but that was my fault for putting it down into some slushy snow in below zero temps. Chipped out pretty easily, but is there a better way? Put the cover on right after drilling?

One other thing that impressed me, and I know I should be taking the battery off and putting it in my pocket. Last weekend it was cold, -10F, windy, and we had a good 4-6 of new snow on the ice. I drilled probably 10 holes that day, but on my last move, I forgot to take the battery off, and laid it down in the snow, where it sat for at least 2 hours. Still 3 bars when I got home. I still put it on the charger, and the charge light did flash on the charger, but only for about 10 minutes.

Online PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #88 on: Feb 11, 2021, 10:33 AM »
Would just like to recommend that you guys don't recharge your batteries every trip.  Each battery only takes so many charges before it goes bad.  They also hold a charge much longer if you continually drain them down to nothing and charge them back up to full.  What you are doing is short cycling the battery.  This will shorten the lifespan.  You also should long term store them at 3/4 to 1/2 charge, not full.  Just some tips I've picked up along the way. ;)

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Feb 11, 2021, 03:14 PM »
Would just like to recommend that you guys don't recharge your batteries every trip.  Each battery only takes so many charges before it goes bad.  They also hold a charge much longer if you continually drain them down to nothing and charge them back up to full.  What you are doing is short cycling the battery.  This will shorten the lifespan.  You also should long term store them at 3/4 to 1/2 charge, not full.  Just some tips I've picked up along the way. ;)

That's interesting. I always heard with the Lithiums that if you drained it down say 25% and recharged, it would only "count" as .25 of a charge/discharge.

You are saying there is only a set number of recharges the battery gets, and it does not matter if it charges from 5% or 95%, but every time its connected to the charger you are losing a full charge, as far as the lifespan goes?

Tht's good info to have, I must have heard wrong. I did know about the long term storage, storing it down below a full charge, and that you don't want to "top it off" during the off season like a SLA battery either.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.