Author Topic: Shoutout to newbury archery  (Read 1122 times)

Offline walkinonwater27

• IceShanty Rookie
Shoutout to newbury archery
« on: Dec 30, 2020, 11:55 AM »
I got out this morning with a few good men in goshen and called newbury archery to see if they’d be selling bait again this year/ hours. He wasn’t planning on opening this morning but turned the lights on at 7am just for us. Nice guy, family owned, beautiful shop and right near Tyler lake in goshen where bait shops are scarce. Give these guys a try.

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Shoutout to newbury archery
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2020, 01:39 PM »
I called there last year to get ice info on Tyler. The guy working (the owner's son I think), took down my number, went across the street and drilled a hole, and then called me back with an ice report. If that's not a full service bait shop, I dont know what is! I don't know of too many places these days that would do that.

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2020, 03:17 PM »
There cannot be many people around like that. Sound like great guys.
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline androux

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2020, 05:34 PM »
Yeah, Barry is the man, bought a number of bows from him over the years, he restrung my bow late season after a blow up and still tagged a doe that year. I'm happy to hear he's doing bait, it is a ghost town up there these days, he should do well with bait, since that area is the only area to freeze the western CT these past years, and I am glad for him.

Also there used to be a video up were he hits a 3'x3' archery target from about a hundred yards, extremely impressive. The man knows his stuff, and has the skills to prove it.
A smart person would watch the few that ventured to the ice sheet, the daring would follow in their boot prints, but the pioneers would already be heading to where they belong.

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2020, 07:53 PM »
Agreed. I started this past February for the first time and have gone to Newbury Archery for my bait each time + during open water season. Nice shop.

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2021, 07:00 AM »
I was able to get out in the Goshen area yesterday thanks to some info I got from the fellas at Newbury on Wednesday (they were closed on Thurs/Fri so had to get bait elsewhere). I wouldn't exactly call the ice safe (it was anywhere from 2" of black to 4" of gray) but we found a decent area that had a consistent 4". It was just sketchy getting to it. The fishing was very slow on both tipups and jigging and our mobility was limited by the ice, but it was awesome to get out anyway. No other way I'd rather spend New Years Day.
Be careful if you head out today or tomorrow. I don't know what last night's rain and today's temps in the 40s will do to the ice. My buddy and I almost pulled the plug until we found an area of the pond where we felt safer. There was also another guy out there alone.  ??? I was thinking about heading back there on Sunday but will most likely wait for better ice conditions.

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2021, 08:06 AM »
Newbury rocks for both bait and archery. Those guys know their stuff and will never charge more than the job calls for.
If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.