Author Topic: New Upgrades This Season  (Read 6133 times)

Offline Schug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing
Re: New Upgrades This Season
« Reply #30 on: Dec 23, 2020, 08:17 AM »
Pretty sure you don't have to.  Not sure there is a way to register them.  The again I don't see the appeal.  For the same cost one can buy a really reasonable sled...and ride it comfortably...

Right would consider a snowdog if it was around 1k but even then I could find a used sled. I guess the only benefit would be if you are using it for thicker forest that a sled could not benefit from or if you could not have a way to transport a sled.

I pretty much think that the snow dog is a way to collect game from a tight area. but for lakes and transport it does not make sense to me.

Plus you could always get a pull harness for your dog to drag your gear for you. Give the dog a job. That is if you have a dog.

Safe Ice ALL!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 23, 2020, 08:43 AM »
I agree with lowaccord, I don't think Snowdogs need to be registered. I do want one, for me it fills a niche between walking and a ride on machine in the snow. The ease of transport and storage is a big plus. Having dragged a trailer full of machines around for years, it would be really nice to leave the trailer home sometimes.

Offline hippiemick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 23, 2020, 09:16 AM »
I have no need of one myself ,and only pose the question knowing how greedy Ct is .

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 23, 2020, 09:26 AM »
knowing how greedy Ct is .

:tipup:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #34 on: Dec 23, 2020, 10:15 AM »
I agree with lowaccord, I don't think Snowdogs need to be registered. I do want one, for me it fills a niche between walking and a ride on machine in the snow. The ease of transport and storage is a big plus. Having dragged a trailer full of machines around for years, it would be really nice to leave the trailer home sometimes.

I almost pulled the trigger last year...then thought about it some more and decided not to.  A snowbear would be more interesting albeit way more money.

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 23, 2020, 12:49 PM »
On the SnowDog , does it need to be registered for use on Ct . Lakes ?
No not at all. I have the 13hp compact.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 23, 2020, 01:26 PM »
I almost pulled the trigger last year...then thought about it some more and decided not to.  A snowbear would be more interesting albeit way more money.

An uber-wealthy guy with a place up the lake from us in Maine has a Snowbear. Haven't been for a ride, but got a quick looksee inside. Very cool, but $60K-80K is pretty stout.  :o Makes Calamity Bob seem cheap by comparison.

I'm getting the fever for a Snowdog, big question is how to sneak it in and hide it. :whistle:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #37 on: Dec 23, 2020, 03:36 PM »
I got to drive one.  They are cool machines for sure. 

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #38 on: Dec 29, 2020, 10:50 PM »
I got a handful of new lures  for Christmas including a jigging rap, so much of my gear from last year is still new so I don't need new icefishing stuff...

I keep telling myself as I look at this neat fork rod https://www.happyangler.com/en/ice-fishing/ice-fishing-rods-and-sets/easy-fishing-fork-rod-for-ice-fishing-26-cm-right-handed/p/3547604/ and I don't have one of these yet... Shipping alone costs over 27 bucks.

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 30, 2020, 07:34 PM »
Does this count?   New to me 4 weeks ago.   2006 23' Northcoast center console.   Just redid the fuse panel and all new switches.   Trying not to think about the ice till we get some, but it's not easy.
Hammer function is not needed. Just drill it normally on low speed.

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 30, 2020, 07:42 PM »
I bought the clam 2 man insulated flip-over. Also picked up the interior light bar, rod holders, and the runner kit for it. Can’t wait to get out to try it!

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
« Reply #41 on: Jan 06, 2021, 06:07 AM »
Here is what can happen when using the hammer drill function.

If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 06, 2021, 08:18 AM »
Here is what can happen when using the hammer drill function.

ouch! How in the heck did that happen!?

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
« Reply #43 on: Jan 07, 2021, 07:23 AM »
The drill bounced and went right through the boot. Glad I had my first aide kit. Patched him up and sent him to the hospital.
If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 07, 2021, 07:36 AM »
That's a nasty one. I take extra care to get the auger started for a couple of inches, out of fear of that happening. Hope he's OK.

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 07, 2021, 09:52 AM »
Yikes.  Noted - not using the hammer function.  Anyone ever get feedback on those mud mixer drills?  Doesn't seem like a good investment vs. a more versatile drill that does the job just fine, but curious if anyone has used one and has an opinion. The torque/speed settings seem good but I'd have almost no regular use for the mud mixer off the ice.

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 07, 2021, 10:46 AM »
Yikes.  Noted - not using the hammer function.  Anyone ever get feedback on those mud mixer drills?  Doesn't seem like a good investment vs. a more versatile drill that does the job just fine, but curious if anyone has used one and has an opinion. The torque/speed settings seem good but I'd have almost no regular use for the mud mixer off the ice.
I got a mud mixer at the beginning of last season and I like it. It even turns my 10” Eskimo blade, lighting fast with a 8” mora bit or kdrill. I bought a paint mixer adapter for it and use it for mixing carp bait too.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #47 on: Jan 09, 2021, 03:53 PM »
No reg needed in CT

My buddy has one, cool machine for sure, compact, no reg needed, it goes on back of our buddy's car to haul. not heavy and it does what it is advertised for.

That said, I got a 2003 Yamaha 700 Triple this year, then a trailer, then registration for both and insurance on the sled. So yeah, I can ride comfortable, i can get there a lot faster if I choose but there are costs associated that are not needed for a snow dog.

There is definitely a consumer base that love the snow dog.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.