Author Topic: New Upgrades This Season  (Read 6134 times)

Offline cutler331

• IceShanty Rookie
New Upgrades This Season
« on: Dec 14, 2020, 07:27 PM »
Hello fellow ice anglers I finally got the auger of my dreams the 10” strike master 40 volt!!!! Also purchasing 1 jawjacker to test out. Anyone else get any Xmas goodies for this season? I’m really hoping for safe ice before New Years!!!! Any thoughts on either product? I have used the automatic fisherman and it’s been about 75% hook up ratio. Thanks for the info in advance merry Xmas!

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New Upgrades This Season
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2020, 07:50 PM »
My wife picked me up a Milwaukee drill for my bday in November, just because we needed a new cordless drill for the house/garage.  I followed that up pretty quickly with an Eskimo 8" pistol bit, so I'm pretty excited to try that out this year.  Also picked up some used skis to work up a smitty sled, although not sure if it's going to be worth the effort depending on how much snow we get this year.
-Matt

Offline bob fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2020, 08:21 PM »
Yep Christmas came early. Picked up a Striker Hardwater Jacket & Bibs, from the wife easy shopping  ;D Got tired of messing with the carb on  my old Strike master auger so I picked up a new ION auger, no fuss. Came across a great deal last fall, grabbed 7 Heritage tip ups and a nice 8" Nils auger as a backup.   Just waiting for safe Ice.

Offline cutler331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2020, 12:53 AM »
Muck boots are on sale too. Look at basspro

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2020, 08:01 AM »
My thoughts on the jawjacker is mostly good but it depends honestly. If fishing for bass/ pickerel you'll hook up every time. For perch I haven't had much luck. Usually steals the bait. I've mostly had good luck with them for trout but on the days they're being picky they might set it off without getting hooked. Overall I like em and they're fun
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2020, 08:15 AM »

No new upgrades for me this year content with what I have right now. I did introduce a friend to ice fishing last year and set him up with a nils 8" hand auger, clam conversion kit ,camo jet sled! This weekend going to pick out a drill for the auger/clam kit. Probably go with the rigid octane brushless 18v drill.
If I need to upgrade anything right now,I would like to upgrade the lake/ponds from water to ice!!!!!

smitty :tipup:

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2020, 08:22 PM »
I have some gear from last winter that's still practically new. Nothing too exciting. Bought some new ice cleats. Wouldn't say no to some new jigging raps or whatever I might get for Christmas.
I'm with Smitty, all I really want upgraded is the ice on the lakes and ponds.  :tipup:

Offline BWB-ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2020, 03:28 PM »
All I want for Christmas is lots of ice!!
"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago". Zane Grey

"The water you touch in a river is the last of that which has passed, and the first of that which is coming; thus it is with time". Leonardo DaVinci

Offline mrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2020, 06:40 PM »
Well I decided time to upgrade the auger so I sold my jiffy and 1 of my clam plate augers and got my ion everything I hear it is the cats ass . I guess we will see

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2020, 06:40 PM »
I got the new fraibil 285 ice Hunter

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2020, 04:31 AM »
New last year. Don’t have to bend over to work the gear.

If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline BugsBunny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2020, 04:59 PM »
👍

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2020, 07:05 AM »
9" livescope ice bundle...my panoptix is hard wired to my boat so that's replacing it.

Offline woodstock60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2020, 08:37 PM »
I took my stimulus check and parlayed it with my vacation savings and transformed those dollars into a snowdog, cant wait to use it

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2020, 09:05 PM »
This past February was my first time on the ice and I’ve been waiting to get back out. Just got a Frabill Magnum Bait Station with an aerator. Bought a manual auger last season as I learn the ropes, but curious if the folks who use the drill bit augers use the hammer setting on their drills or if you keep it on a low speed without the hammer. I’ve heard both.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2020, 08:49 AM »
Does this count?   New to me 4 weeks ago.   2006 23' Northcoast center console.   Just redid the fuse panel and all new switches.   Trying not to think about the ice till we get some, but it's not easy.
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline SeaDog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2020, 09:55 AM »
Lucked out this past summer. Me and my buddy got 1 each a Trophy Strike 120V Lithium 8 inch Ice Augers with all the bells and whistles for ........ $50.00 brand new direct from the manufacture - They had a clearance sale.
Still boxed and waiting to try it out.  ;D

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2020, 10:02 AM »
My one and only big expense upgrade this season is a snow go.

Did the normal stocking up on jig heads, plastics, a new jigging rod.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2020, 10:21 AM »
I took my stimulus check and parlayed it with my vacation savings and transformed those dollars into a snowdog, cant wait to use it

Thats what I did too. SnowDog is going to be a game changer for my ice fishing. Had it out this last Saturday and it pulled all the sleds out in 7" of snow way further than I would have ever considered walking. Not fast but a brute for pulling. Wooohaaaa!
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2020, 10:45 AM »
This past February was my first time on the ice and I’ve been waiting to get back out. Just got a Frabill Magnum Bait Station with an aerator. Bought a manual auger last season as I learn the ropes, but curious if the folks who use the drill bit augers use the hammer setting on their drills or if you keep it on a low speed without the hammer. I’ve heard both.

This will be my first year with mine, but my plan is low speed, no hammer.  I can't imagine trying to hammer the auger into the ice would be any good for the blades, or the drill.
-Matt

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2020, 10:57 AM »

This will be my first year with mine, but my plan is low speed, no hammer.  I can't imagine trying to hammer the auger into the ice would be any good for the blades, or the drill.

Milwaukee M18 Hammer Drill, I run it on the Drill setting just before the Hammer drill setting. Hammer setting doesn't seem to work and the lower numbered settings are for screwing and drilling with reduced levels of torque so you don't strip the screws etc.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2020, 06:48 PM »
Sploke you are correct using a power drill/auger setup with the drill in hammer mode. Use the lowest clutch setting on your drill.
 Steve

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2020, 09:37 PM »
With these drill set ups, remember to put the drill triggers in lock position (in the middle between forward and reverse) before you put them in the sleds.  The drills have a lot of power and when these things start spinning in the sled they make a mess of a lot of nice tip ups, rods and gear.  Not that this has ever happened to me... :-\
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2020, 10:07 PM »
With these drill set ups, remember to put the drill triggers in lock position (in the middle between forward and reverse) before you put them in the sleds.

Great tip - or battery out to make it dummyproof.

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2020, 08:20 AM »
With these drill set ups, remember to put the drill triggers in lock position (in the middle between forward and reverse) before you put them in the sleds.  The drills have a lot of power and when these things start spinning in the sled they make a mess of a lot of nice tip ups, rods and gear.  Not that this has ever happened to me... :-\

Oof, good tip!
-Matt

Offline hippiemick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2020, 10:11 AM »
On the SnowDog , does it need to be registered for use on Ct . Lakes ?

Offline Schug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2020, 10:15 AM »

I would not use the hammer setting. To me that is just unwanted stress on the blades.

The way I see it is if there is no hammer needed for the manual auger why use one for the cordless drill.

Just an opinion but my thoughts is no do not use the hammer setting.

Safe Ice!

Offline Schug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing
« Reply #27 on: Dec 22, 2020, 10:17 AM »
Lucked out this past summer. Me and my buddy got 1 each a Trophy Strike 120V Lithium 8 inch Ice Augers with all the bells and whistles for ........ $50.00 brand new direct from the manufacture - They had a clearance sale.
Still boxed and waiting to try it out.  ;D

How did you pull that off jeeze lol

Offline SeaDog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 23, 2020, 06:59 AM »
How did you pull that off jeeze lol
Was just surfing the internet when I came across the clearance deal.
As I said, I and my buddy each got 1 apiece. Sweeeeeet !

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Dec 23, 2020, 07:46 AM »
On the SnowDog , does it need to be registered for use on Ct . Lakes ?

Pretty sure you don't have to.  Not sure there is a way to register them.  The again I don't see the appeal.  For the same cost one can buy a really reasonable sled...and ride it comfortably...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.