Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Plastics for panfish.  (Read 2634 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Plastics for panfish.
« on: Nov 29, 2020, 03:14 PM »
I was going to shoot some plastics again.....

What colors have you guys had good luck with?

Thinking since it's getting close to the holidays if I get enough shot, I might send some out to fellow members.

Offline Beardcat

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Plastics for panfish.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2020, 03:33 PM »
I’ll be following this thread. I didn’t try many plastics last year when I started but got some to try this year. I got some natural colored stonefly type plastics in my panfish mystery tackle box, and I bought a pack of red bloodworm type & a pack of pink wedgee plastics after seeing them on a few YouTube videos. Looking forward to hear what others recommend, especially if the fish Iowa waters.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2020, 04:04 PM »
I do great on motor oil,black and clear with silver glitter.i only have experience with nuggie and wedgie style plastics tho.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2020, 04:30 PM »
I’ll be following this thread. I didn’t try many plastics last year when I started but got some to try this year. I got some natural colored stonefly type plastics in my panfish mystery tackle box, and I bought a pack of red bloodworm type & a pack of pink wedgee plastics after seeing them on a few YouTube videos. Looking forward to hear what others recommend, especially if the fish Iowa waters.

I've had good luck with red & black colors....maybe because the first fish I caught on a plastic was a red northland style bloodworm plastic. Ever since then red has been my go to color.

Offline Beardcat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2020, 05:05 PM »
On the Short Rod Show podcast they always talk about a pink power nuggie being one of their go-to plastics. Since they fish around Ankeny, near my neck of the woods, I’ve been looking to find some of those too

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2020, 05:42 PM »
On the Short Rod Show podcast they always talk about a pink power nuggie being one of their go-to plastics. Since they fish around Ankeny, near my neck of the woods, I’ve been looking to find some of those too

I’ll have to shoot some in pink....been using pink to color plastic worms for open water

Offline Duke M

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2020, 03:36 PM »
I think I have caught fish on almost every color from clear to black. Blood red has always been good, purple is good but attracts too many bass, orange is also a standard.

If I could only pick one I guess I'd go with red.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2020, 03:54 PM »
Last season I started fishing plastics more than in the past. But not sure that I have it dialed in.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2020, 09:01 AM »
i use red, pink, and purple. 

mostly wedgies tipped on a teardrop tungsten. 

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2020, 09:12 AM »

Add in black and same for me.
Da Pack!

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2020, 09:33 AM »

I found some of the pink Micro Power Nuggies at Scheels. They were out of the bigger size in that color.

Offline yakker13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2020, 09:21 AM »

Same for me though mostly just pink and red. Maki is my go to.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2020, 10:35 PM »

I added a small ball tail plastic & a 1in creature bait.

Is this like the “pink” you guys use?

Also I gotta get some black pigment

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2020, 07:33 PM »
Last season I started fishing plastics more than in the past. But not sure that I have it dialed in.

It takes time and learning the finesse. I've been using plastics more and more....

Today I was fishing with a friend using waxies.....I used plastics an caught more, and missed a number of bites. I think plastics are easier to get the fish to bite.....you just need to be faster on the hook set.......the fish don't hold onto plastics like live bait.

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2020, 07:52 AM »
as for color, I am like most of you, I use a variety of colors (and have them on-hand) but my go to color combos seem to be the following;

I first put on a custom Jigs & spins nuclear ant plastic (either pink or black) and then add either a CJ spins wedgie or ratso body (red, black, blue or pink) on a tungsten jig (currently using a lot of Checkai jigs from CJ spins too! I go with pink ant collar, with a blue ratso, and I rig up a black ant collar with pink or red wedgie tail on another pole. It's called a "Tungsten Bug" created by CJ & spins owner Walt Matan (I saw it one of their catalogs a few years back!) and it really quivers and provides a lot of action in a compact presentation! I love the horizontal and vertical movement of the appendages for attracting fish!

One other thing I started doing a few years ago and getting excellent results, is I soak my plastics in Gulp Alive juice to give them scent/flavor. I often don't use live bait at all! I have a small jar of former Gulp Alive baits that is empty. I add just a little bit of new juice from some Gulp Alive minnows to the old jar, then add several plastic baits to it, getting them a nice coating of scent/flavor! I keep adding juice and plastics as needed throughout the winter (even into early spring as well!)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.