Author Topic: Light 'em up...or not.  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Light 'em up...or not.
« on: Nov 24, 2020, 04:34 AM »
I just read an article and part of it goes like this...

"Over 100 years ago, Russian and Nordic fishermen used to smoke spoons for pike and ice jigs for pannies to dull the finish. Their theory was that a matte finish lure appears to be of its original size, when a glow/glitter lure may be interpreted by fish as a larger one.

Interesting. And I guess it kind of makes sense. Personally, I have not been a big fan of glow jigs. I've done better with the ones that don't seem to light up the underwater world. Just doesn't seem natural. Any other thoughts?

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Light 'em up...or not.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2020, 02:18 PM »
I like glow at dusk. I have had crappie attack a small pink glow jig while the guy fishing three feet away caught nothing. We drill holes right next to shore and leave them for dusk when Walleye love glow spoons in the shallow water. We had to be careful not to hit bottom with the augers. I can't say it will work every time, but it does work.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2020, 02:28 PM »
I always have glow jigs. During the day when there is plenty of light I don't worry if it's glowing or not but in the evening when it starts to get dark, I light it up. BUT, I noticed that often when they are freshly charged the fish will stay away but as they start to dim they will move in on it. I don't think they like too much glow but just a bit of glow attracts them without scaring them.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2020, 03:46 PM »
 I have lit them up during the day and had the bite pick up , but many times I’m fishing  30+ ‘ for eyes and perch and I’m fishing clear water

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2020, 02:39 PM »
And here is something that I sort of played with the idea off.  There are times where I will just sharpie color in the glow to break up the solid glow.  In other words I do fish bone pattern.  There is also the sliver of glow.  I copy the idea from the Acme K.O. Wobbler spoons where there is just the paint on the outer edge on one side of the spoon.  I have put fingernail polish glow paint over that to give it a faint glow if necessary.  Now the same where I use the black sharpie to color up the silver finish as I want a more dull reflective finish.  I've done this to some of my silver finish spoons typically on either the concave side or the convex side of the spoon.  It works in a way to break up the typically sparkle reflection rhythm of a normal spoon.

Think about living organism bioluminescence is not always a full on glow.  I think of fireflies how they light up and pulses.   
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2020, 03:21 PM »
 Not just glow but I’ll take a marker and bar lures just to break it up some
 Vertical and horizontal and not just spoons

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2020, 01:13 PM »
they are already lit up put them in your hand and peek in sun,house light, etc.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.