Author Topic: Can this modification be done to a helix 5?  (Read 957 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Can this modification be done to a helix 5?
« on: Nov 21, 2020, 06:58 PM »
I just ordered it but have not received yet. Can you drill  somewhere on the carrying case to put a hook for holding the transducer cord like a vexilar box? The only downside I saw was the foam float i dont like with a 6 inch hole. Thanks pic would be great I do not want a arm like Marcum though broke every one of them off.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
Re: Can this modification be done to a helix 5?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2020, 10:30 PM »
I just ordered it but have not received yet. Can you drill  somewhere on the carrying case to put a hook for holding the transducer cord like a vexilar box? The only downside I saw was the foam float i dont like with a 6 inch hole. Thanks pic would be great I do not want a arm like Marcum though broke every one of them off.
What really works for me for the past 10 years is using 1/2" pvc for a small 8 inch frame that sits on the side of the hole with the transducer mounted on a down pipe. the battery stays in a home depot black tackle box and the screen sits on the toolbox. It all fits in the toolbox for travel.  I have the screen base numbered with the cone angle and depth numbers. It really all works so well I have quit perfecting it.
Thread killer

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2020, 08:34 AM »
just use a threaded eye and a stopper - no reason to over complicate it....or attach a marcum style transducer arm

Catchin' Fish

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2020, 08:40 AM »
You may be able to use a piece of PVC w/end cap bolted/screwed to the base then add a Vexilar arm.

https://store.vexilar.com/transducer-support-arm.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2020, 11:11 AM »
Thanks everyone can't wait to get it!

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2020, 11:39 AM »
Buy and attach the marcum arm. Love those things. Also take the float off if you get the arm. Just gets in the way.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.