Author Topic: Shiner Trapping Question  (Read 6332 times)

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Shiner Trapping Question
« Reply #30 on: Dec 09, 2020, 01:50 PM »
That's a very good point..... I don't think a lot of people understand the limit rule on fish in general. I got into a discussion with someone on FB a little while back about what you're aloud to keep. He was saying that he can go out and get 25 white perch everyday for a week and fill his freezer as much as he wants as long as he doesn't keep more than 25 a day...... The law says No person may have in his possession at one time more wildlife (including fish) than he may lawfully take in 2 days. He said what was in his freezer was not in his possession. I stopped talking at that point......

Bet he'd be awful possessive of that freezer if you tried taking it  ::) ???
You were dealing with a Neurosurgeon for sure.  ;)
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 09, 2020, 01:56 PM »
Bet he'd be awful possessive of that freezer if you tried taking it  ::) ???
You were dealing with a Neurosurgeon for sure.  ;)

Right... he's not in possession of the money in his checking account but i bet he'd argue to the death it was his. lol
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 09, 2020, 01:58 PM »
It was mind numbing..... More than a few people agreed with him unfortunately.
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 09, 2020, 06:06 PM »
It was mind numbing..... More than a few people agreed with him unfortunately.
Digs, that's exactly why I spend very little time on the Space Book fishing pages, and very rarely comment.  :cookoo:
There are some on those pages who know how to fish and the rules. The're vastly ounumbered by self proclaimed experts with no clue. They're always arguing about simple, commonly known rules, open/close dates etc..
Too many baffle me with their BS and creative "rules".  ::)

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 11, 2020, 12:28 PM »
Digs, that's exactly why I spend very little time on the Space Book fishing pages, and very rarely comment.  :cookoo:
There are some on those pages who know how to fish and the rules. The're vastly ounumbered by self proclaimed experts with no clue. They're always arguing about simple, commonly known rules, open/close dates etc..
Too many baffle me with their BS and creative "rules".  ::)

You mean the "armchair" quarterback types?
The ones that know all the rules but probably don't follow them because they are for everyone else?

Yeah, they're a pill.
They're all high and mighty with their "knowledge" until a game warden has to issue them a citation to correct them.  ;D
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 11, 2020, 04:12 PM »
The ones that know all the rules but probably don't follow them because they are for everyone else?
Definitely armchair quarterbacks and too many "coaches and managers". The biggest issue for me, is how many think they know the rules, but don't.   
I can't speak to the ones who actually know the rules, but don't follow them because they are for everyone else.
Thought politicians had the majority on that?  :-\   

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 12, 2020, 02:39 PM »

Yeah, they're a pill.
They're all high and mighty with their "knowledge" until a game warden has to issue them a citation to correct them.  ;D

Says the guy that got pinched jigging while fishing his limit of tip ups..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Dec 12, 2020, 02:40 PM »
Ohhhh
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 12, 2020, 02:43 PM »
LOL... busted
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 12, 2020, 07:06 PM »
 :-[  :-[  :whistle:

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #40 on: Dec 12, 2020, 07:59 PM »

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 13, 2020, 03:02 PM »
I keep my bait in a pond, catch a load the afternoon before an outing and keep them in the garage on a aerator overnight. Sometimes I change the water in the morning, but rarely... then up to the lake where they go under the ice for future trips. We only bring bait to the lake a few times a season. Nice to have it at the bobhouse. We keep the bait in a 3 ft net sock stringer. Works great. the fish can utilize the 3' vertical column of water, seems to keep them better than horizontal.

Also I try to catch minnows in my usual spots in fall and early winter and they are gone, creek chubs, they look like dace, but arent. I think they migrate to bigger water, the Ct River. I see no minnows in my brooks now.

I've been catching a lot of what I think to be creek chubs as well. Good sized ones too,  4-5 inches long. Are they good bait?
Tight Lines!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 13, 2020, 03:24 PM »
At least that's what I think i'm catching

Tight Lines!

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 13, 2020, 03:29 PM »
At least that's what I think i'm catching

Yep, that's a chub.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 14, 2020, 07:39 AM »

I've been catching a lot of what I think to be creek chubs as well. Good sized ones too,  4-5 inches long. Are they good bait?

They are really hard to keep alive for very long, in my experience, but they do make good catfish bait from the boat.. Channels will take the dead or alive, so I usually cut them in half for dead bait. Flatheads will take them live, if you can get them to the river before they go belly up.

I've never tried them as ice fishing bait, though.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 14, 2020, 07:46 AM »
It's either a creek chub or a fall fish, tough to tell from the pic. Not sure the legalities of using either as bait though...

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 14, 2020, 08:02 AM »
It's either a creek chub or a fall fish, tough to tell from the pic. Not sure the legalities of using either as bait though...
Good point, don't know the legality of it as bait there. Live bait rules are sort of convoluted here, and every state varies, some by a lot.

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #48 on: Dec 14, 2020, 09:21 AM »
The F&G website says you can use fallfish and creek chubs as live bait in New Hampshire.
https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/baitfish.html

In my limited experience with them, they don't work as well as shiners for trout.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 14, 2020, 09:58 AM »
The F&G website says you can use fallfish and creek chubs as live bait in New Hampshire.
https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/baitfish.html

In my limited experience with them, they don't work as well as shiners for trout.

Fallfish work great for lake trout. Be it as cut bait (cut and scaled fresh... they get pretty mushy if you try to brine them in my experience) or hung live. Never tried a creek chub.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 14, 2020, 10:54 AM »
Fallfish work great for lake trout. Be it as cut bait (cut and scaled fresh... they get pretty mushy if you try to brine them in my experience) or hung live. Never tried a creek chub.

I always thought fall fish would make a great laker or Pike bait, I've got them on salmon eggs and had them run off a ton of line...FAST.. they are almost as good at stealing eggs as rainbows are.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Dec 14, 2020, 11:44 AM »
I always thought fall fish would make a great laker or Pike bait, I've got them on salmon eggs and had them run off a ton of line...FAST.. they are almost as good at stealing eggs as rainbows are.

There's a couple of ponds where we jig them up through the ice. It's a fun way to get bait for the next day out and they dog pretty good for a minnow. That said, when you're creek fishing with a fly rod they can be a huge nuisance so it all depends on the mindset/goal for the day.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 14, 2020, 11:47 AM »
I've used fallfish for cut bait for lakers on a bucktail and they work very well
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #53 on: Dec 14, 2020, 12:34 PM »
   Fat Head minnow?   
https://www.mossyoak.com/our-obsession/blogs/fishing/fatheads-a-little-minnow-with-a-big-benefit-for-new-ponds
around here we call dem peach faced chubs.like mini rainbow trout they are prized by every species specially big bass ;)
GOD BLESS YOU AND KEEP YOU
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 14, 2020, 12:44 PM »
They’ve been alive in my bait tank for a couple weeks now. Figured they would work for lakers and warm water species. We’ll give it a shot and see what happens
Tight Lines!

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 15, 2020, 07:17 AM »
thats a creek chub
chubs are all we use, they seem to be good for all species. Hardy too! Best way to keep them at your lake is in a vertical keeper of your choice. They seem to do better when they have a column of water to navigate rather than laying on the horizontal.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #56 on: Dec 15, 2020, 12:40 PM »
This may help.

Offline Dipstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ( jigging Joe)
« Reply #57 on: Dec 15, 2020, 03:23 PM »
You can Google any of the acceptable species and compare to what you're catching. Definitely a creek chub, not to be confused with a chub sucker..

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Dec 15, 2020, 03:25 PM »
Not sure how many folks know this.

There is a limit of shiners you are allowed to keep on hand. 4 Liquid Quarts or ~ 2 days worth of bait. (Your allowed 2 Liquid Quarts of shiners per day trapping). Otherwise you will need to get a bait dealer's license @ $26.00

Suckers, there is no limit however have trap specs.

May want to check into this.

Good post Mike! I thought about it then my mind wandered. Kudos
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 31, 2020, 04:46 PM »
I probably should start a new thread, but is there any harm in throwing bait that I had hooked but is still swimming in my bait tank with bait I haven’t used yet?
Tight Lines!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.