Author Topic: Flasher suggestions  (Read 1541 times)

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
Re: Flasher suggestions
« Reply #30 on: Nov 20, 2020, 09:00 AM »
Vex = Quality, it works when you turn it on year after year. I had another brand and worked as well as the Vex FLX 20 for a year or two. It then
went to the shop every winter mid season an finally gave it away to a techy friend. I am not plunking down $2000 for the latest an greatest, heavy,
fish finder. I like to hole hope. Bird makes nice unit the one on my boat is still fine 10 years in. Search the reviews - one brand if you want your unit at the shop
half of every season don't say you we were not warned. My brothers new unit I warned him was returned first season. Junk

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Nov 20, 2020, 09:22 AM »
What did that cost? I canít see spending $2k but I think that would include the livescope?   I donít see much point in upgrading unless i get the advantages you mentioned and if itís possible for under $1,000 i might do it

I got an offseason deal and paid just about 1280$ Normally about 1800.
I know its a bunch of money but oh well I have it now and love it. I looked at the Livescope that came out after I already bought mine. Its cool but does not have a regular puck ducer to hole hop with. Even though mine is heavy it is not so bad that I can't hole hop with it, and do, and or if I don't have maps for lake and am checking depth. Now with the Panoptix on its pole its a bit more to hole hop with.
I looked hard and long at the Vexilars and used a buddies but am happy I went the route I did. Whatever you get use it and learn to use it to its fullest and it should reward you with more fish, Hopefully.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline missoulafish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HÓPē FˇSh
« Reply #32 on: Nov 20, 2020, 09:39 AM »
Vex = Quality, it works when you turn it on year after year.

^^^ this. Marcum, not so much....

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #33 on: Nov 20, 2020, 11:49 AM »
Know all about the brand that spends lots of time in a repair shop.lol

Offline Snitch#8

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • As Always, Take Care and Stay Safe!
« Reply #34 on: Nov 20, 2020, 12:50 PM »
Hummingbird is tried and tested. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #35 on: Nov 20, 2020, 03:29 PM »

If you apply for an amazon card and get accepted youíd get $60 off for a $239 price. Has dual beam and zoom

Offline Snitch#8

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • As Always, Take Care and Stay Safe!
« Reply #36 on: Nov 21, 2020, 09:45 AM »

If you apply for an amazon card and get accepted youíd get $60 off for a $239 price. Has dual beam and zoom
As far as I'm concerned, this is the "best" entry level flasher on the market!!!    If you don't want to apply for the card, pay the regular price, you won't be disappointed.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #37 on: Nov 22, 2020, 04:56 PM »

Iíve owned vex and are good units , this marcum 5 is an outstanding deal and they work great

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Nov 22, 2020, 07:57 PM »
Check out the Marcum site. They have the M5 with the old SLA battery for $357. You get some really nice features that are not found with other brands in that price range. Dual beam cone, 3/4" target separation, adjustable zoom lock to name a few. Can always upgrade to a lithium battery later down the road.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Nov 22, 2020, 08:37 PM »
As a testament to Marcum reliability...in addition to my current M-5, I still have my old VXR by Marcum, and sold by Cabelas as a ďbackup,Ē that still works as new! Makes a lot more noise then the digital M-5, but sometimes itís just nice to hear that clicking from a 14+ year old flasher! I stand by Marcum quality and customer service.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣Ē

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #40 on: Nov 23, 2020, 01:44 PM »
As a testament to Marcum reliability...in addition to my current M-5, I still have my old VXR by Marcum, and sold by Cabelas as a ďbackup,Ē that still works as new! Makes a lot more noise then the digital M-5, but sometimes itís just nice to hear that clicking from a 14+ year old flasher! I stand by Marcum quality and customer service.

LMAO........I find myself using my FL20 more then the FLX28 just because I like to hear the spin......that and I got so use the the FL20 face because it was my 1st flasher that it just feels wrong looking at an FL18, FL22HD, or FLX28 face.......looks like I'm not the only one.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Nov 23, 2020, 02:11 PM »
that M5 deal is a hell of a deal.

I'm contemplating picking one up. i have absolutely no need for it. i have 2 flashers and panoptix already. 

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 23, 2020, 02:12 PM »

the rapala years were not good for marcum.  they put out some junk.  but pre and post is just dynamite .

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Nov 23, 2020, 02:30 PM »
What did that cost? I canít see spending $2k but I think that would include the livescope?   I donít see much point in upgrading unless i get the advantages you mentioned and if itís possible for under $1,000 i might do it

Hey John...1800 for the ps22 with a 7" sv73 plus head unit.  You can grab my unit for 1500.  My new unit for this season is a 9" livescope package...2700 bucks....I was thinking about doing a uhd10" and doing my own bundle but I can settle for a pre-built bundle and 9" head unit.

I still own my flx28 and use it occasionally in open water jigging lakers.

Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.