Author Topic: Moving an Actual House  (Read 8110 times)

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Moving an Actual House
« on: Oct 15, 2006, 06:03 PM »
I have tried to find verification on this story so you all would believe it online, but it happened before the internet was mainstream, so no avail. Back in around 91 or 92 in Mankato,Minnesota area a man bought some land directly across the lake from where he already lived. The property was like triple the size of the one where he lived, so he wanted to move his house to the new property instead of building a new one. The city told him it would cost approximately like $10,000 to direct traffic, and take down the stoplights for clearance. So the guy thought, well, it's the middle of winter, we'll just load up the house on the semi and cut straight across the lake. Do I even have to finish this story????? Yeah, you guessed it, it got about half-way and broke through the ice. So, needless to say, we may not have it too bad after all. If anyone in southern Minnesota remembers this, let me know.

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Moving an Actual House
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2006, 08:00 AM »
now that sucks :-[

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2006, 10:29 AM »
Well I bet the fishing would be good in that house. Imagine all the hiding spots ;D

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2006, 08:27 PM »
You Just got to wonder what people are thinking. The ice crackles enough just driving a pickup on it with 2 feet of ice more the less a semi with a house. That would have had to be a sight to see though. Just like all those trailers that went through in upper wisconsin a few years back up at the snowmobile races I think by grantsburg. No matter what the cost can pile up fast.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2006, 07:21 PM »
Thats not all that far fetched. I have heard of milk trucks cutting across Mille Lacs. I guess they wanted a shortcut US 169 to MN 47. A milk truck starts at about 50,000lbs loaded and goes up from there. My dad says that in the days before refrigeration, they used to drive semi trucks out to haul the ice blocks away.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2006, 12:20 PM »
I was ice fishing on a lake in NE South Dakota some years ago when a stack mover came onto the ice and unloaded what looked like a chicken house on the ice. I went over and talked to the guys and they had put a floor in a chicken house and used it for ice fishing. They were retired farmers and would stay in it and fish for a week at times. I haven't seen it in years. I have also seen a tractor on the ice drilling holes with what must have been a post hole auger.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2006, 03:55 PM »
Yeah, tractors aren't an uncommon sight on the ice here either. There is a guy who drives his H Farmall out to his shack on one of my favorite lakes.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2006, 05:36 PM »
Yeah, tractors aren't an uncommon sight on the ice here either. There is a guy who drives his H Farmall out to his shack on one of my favorite lakes.
What ever works I guess. :D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2006, 06:11 PM »
A farmall with good rubber will go through plenty of snow for sure! :D

Offline pennreels

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2006, 08:29 PM »
Years ago up here in Allagash Maine they used to run a steam locomotive over the ice to bring out all of the pulp wood they cut in the fall.  Imagine what the ice would have been like.  The locomotives are still up in the woods.  Its quite a site to see.

Tom

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2006, 11:00 AM »
Google Dennison's Ice Road sometime.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2006, 07:27 PM »
Our friends, in CANADA, are falling of their chair's.  :roflmao: :roflmao: Moving things across the ice, has the entire world gone mad!  :o  :o I'm very impressed with, what goes across the ICE, when they have to, DO IT!!  :) Plowed roads and semi trucks, it's just amazing!!  :)

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2006, 12:26 PM »
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2006, 01:42 PM »
Brand new member! First post.
Houses werent ment to be moved, the way I know is that they have bolts to hold them down to the concrete.

I. live in Chippewa Falls WI. Up on Marsh Miller lake in bloomer the city trucks plow a short cut from a landing on one side of the lake to the other landing.

P.S. you all have a great site built here!!

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline hardwater

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater is the best water!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2006, 11:02 PM »
I have tried to find verification on this story so you all would believe it online, but it happened before the internet was mainstream, so no avail. Back in around 91 or 92 in Mankato,Minnesota area a man bought some land directly across the lake from where he already lived. The property was like triple the size of the one where he lived, so he wanted to move his house to the new property instead of building a new one. The city told him it would cost approximately like $10,000 to direct traffic, and take down the stoplights for clearance. So the guy thought, well, it's the middle of winter, we'll just load up the house on the semi and cut straight across the lake. Do I even have to finish this story????? Yeah, you guessed it, it got about half-way and broke through the ice. So, needless to say, we may not have it too bad after all. If anyone in southern Minnesota remembers this, let me know.

First Post! What a website!!!!

Moving houses on ice isn't unheard of here in North East MN.  In the 70's a fella moved his cabin across the lake with a log skidder.  Not Uncommon but not reccomended by me anyways ;)

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2006, 11:10 PM »
I have tomorrow (friday) off. I am going to head to the local library and see if I can find the newspaper article. Over 1200 posts amazes me, and I think you guys should read the story, and if I remember right, (this was 15 or so years ago) there were pictures of the house and semi in the drink.

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2006, 11:14 PM »
if you get enough ice , you can move mountains
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline Muddskippa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Quartz Lake Rainbow
« Reply #17 on: Nov 17, 2006, 07:16 PM »
I grew up in New Hampshire and Maine and It wasn't uncommon to see double trailer semi's loaded with logs cutting across lakes Feb/Mar time frame, I even saw a few cabins moved out to Islands on the big lake in NH but never a full size house.  Fortunately up here in AK the only ice trouble we have is finding the auger extensions to get through the 4 plus feet of ice.   :D
<><   <><          <")))))><
Muddskippa
~~~~\\\"Si vis pacem, para bellum\\\"~~~~ <>< <\\\")))))><<br />

Offline Redbeard1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2006, 09:52 PM »
I remodeled a house a couple of years ago that was brought across the Bay somewhere around the 1920's.  It was pulled across by horse teams!   Man! our Grandparents had stones, didn't they?   A house attempted to be moved across an inland lake a few years ago, didn't make it!
PATRICK

Offline macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2006, 01:22 PM »
I seem to remember that they did the same thing with a house in Devil's lake in SD a number of years ago.  That lake had been rising for years and a house had become stranded.  They had to drive slowly becuase the ice would sag and if they went too fast it would cause a wave that would crack the ice.

I would have thought that they would have gotten it moved before it got stranded.

Does anyone else remember that story?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.