Author Topic: best bibs?  (Read 3674 times)

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
best bibs?
« on: Oct 25, 2020, 10:45 AM »
whats your vote?

decided its time to upgrade

been reading review on simms and frabils so far

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: best bibs?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2020, 11:19 AM »
striker.     hard pass on the rest.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2020, 12:13 PM »
Couple features on bibs ..floating..zip to hip zippers..adjustable in seam ..elasic side panel in the rib cage area.

I have several Striker Ice bibs ..the Climate..Predator and most recently bought the Trekker ..note on the Trekker there is no elastic in the side rib cage area ..so they are spot on with sizing.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2020, 01:03 PM »
thanks boys  strikemaster it is

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2020, 01:57 PM »
thanks boys  strikemaster it is

Not StriteMaster Striker Ice

https://strikerbrands.com/

Good video on the top 3 models ..note video is little old but other then color changes its on point

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2020, 03:30 PM »
yes yes striker  was the strong coffee talking

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2020, 03:58 PM »
I've had an original SnoSuit since '07. Some pf the best money I ever spent. The clothing was pretty much bullet-proof, wearing the bibs every trip. Waterproof, super (super) warm and comfortable enough though a bit bulky. The parka I couldn't even wear if temps were over 20F but again, the parka was bulky as well. Thing is I could literally stand outside all day in -25F temps and be comfortable. It was amazing.

Since technology has changed in the last dozen plus years I've been kicking tires as well. Really interested in reducing bulk without sacrificing warmth, adding flotation (big plus) with the 20 year durability I've experienced with the SnoSuit. The Striker stuff I've looked at is awesome and will most likely be what I upgrade to.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2020, 09:18 AM »
do you think the floatation is really needed?
If the ice is that thin im not on it anyways 

If only that exchange rate wasnt so terrible right now

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2020, 09:53 AM »
If the ice is that thin im not on it anyways 

If only that exchange rate wasnt so terrible right now

Peace of mind ...and the prices are extremely comparable to a non floating suit  ..they aren't bulky(like older float technology) and are warm ..and they breathe (unlike previous/first gen suit company's) . I would rather have and not need then need and not have ..

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2020, 10:27 AM »

Is your life worth $50?  That was my line of thinking when I purchased mine. 

Quick note...I highly recommend either the Striker Ice Hardwater (super warm) or the Trekker (lighter insulation) bibs.  Both are made from 600D fabric as opposed to 300D.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2020, 10:52 AM »
I picked up the Striker Ice Hardwater bibs this weekend. I wanted the tougher fabric because kneeling around holes that have sharp frozen chucks of ice and trekking through bush to get to lakes. I haven't decided on a jacket yet though. Since I usually like to layer up I thought the hardwater jacket might be too hot for running and gunning and setup. I like the removeable liner in the Climate but am also looking at the 100g insulation of Predator. That way running and gunning isn't a sweaty mess. I find it tough to find a happy medium in -30c with wind.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2020, 11:14 AM »
I picked up the Striker Ice Hardwater bibs this weekend. I wanted the tougher fabric because kneeling around holes that have sharp frozen chucks of ice and trekking through bush to get to lakes. I haven't decided on a jacket yet though. Since I usually like to layer up I thought the hardwater jacket might be too hot for running and gunning and setup. I like the removeable liner in the Climate but am also looking at the 100g insulation of Predator. That way running and gunning isn't a sweaty mess. I find it tough to find a happy medium in -30c with wind.

Cant tell where you are from from your location ...but in my area the Climate is too hot normally with the liners and not warm enough with the liners removed ..Predator is my go to normally. You could go up a size in the Predator jacket any layer up/down as conditions warrant . Lots of folks/IS members go just like that .

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2020, 11:33 AM »
I like the floatation even if I don't plan on ever going in, crazier things have happened.  The old arctic Armour and mustang float suits were bulky and stiff but you don't even notice it in the new suits.  Easy to hike a couple miles in the striker bibs and the padded knees is a life saver when hole hopping or tipup fishing.

I skipped on the jacket and just got a high quality gtx shell with whatever layers I need underneath, depending on conditions.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2020, 12:02 PM »
I'm usually a shorts/sweatshirt guy as opposed to a pants/tee shirt guy, so the trekker bibs are just right for me.  I have a Hardwater jacket and usually it is laying on my sled.  Thinking a Predator jacket this year may be in order.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 2020, 12:03 PM »
I bought the striker Predator a few years ago, highly recommend. Plenty warm, they float, not bulky, and have held up well absolutely no issues.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 26, 2020, 01:50 PM »
I’ve used a $60 pair of thin Rocky’s from Walmart for the last 8 seasons and other than being a little tight in the legs, the work just fine for me. They are made for fall hunting and no where remotely close to what a sane person would consider “ice” bibs. I’m a freak of nature though when it comes to the cold.

Regarding “floatation technology”, I think a lot of ice anglers end up using that feature as a piece-of-mind but almost to a fault. I’ve seen many many posts here along the lines of “I wouldn’t walk on that ice without my float suit!”. Well, a statement like that leads me to believe that one shouldn’t “walk on ice like that” regardless of what kind of suit they are wearing. I think float suits instill a lot of false security. Meaning, you’ll still float if your dead and a rescue isn’t part of the warranty. I’d rather rely on instinct and use my spud bar than rely on my suit keeping me afloat long enough for someone to drag my dumb ass out of the lake.

A spud bar tells you what’s ahead of you, a float suit tells you that you should have used a spud bar...

Honesty, your outside layer just keeps the elements off of your mid/base layers. If you have a solid mid/base layer down it really doesn’t matter what’s on the outside. Having said that, I’m an ice angler that can’t stand oversized baggy clothing for the sake of warmth. I’d rather layer correctly and keep my full range of motion and stay toasty warm with minimal cold weather gear. I don’t even own a heater.

Considering I didn’t answer your question at all, it depends on what you’re comfortable wearing and if you’re relying on layers to stay warm or one big cover to stay warm. If you’re relying on layers, your “bibs” don’t really matter as long as they keep you dry. If you want one big cover, I’ve heard raving reviews about Striker. My problem with Striker (and most outdoor clothing) is that they are huge on me for my height and extremely cumbersome to maneuver in.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 26, 2020, 02:19 PM »
 It's not so much peace of mind but more so just in case.

Up here a foot of ice is referred to as first ice, mind you.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 26, 2020, 02:44 PM »

Regarding “floatation technology”, I think a lot of ice anglers end up using that feature as a piece-of-mind but almost to a fault. I’ve seen many many posts here along the lines of “I wouldn’t walk on that ice without my float suit!”. Well, a statement like that leads me to believe that one shouldn’t “walk on ice like that” regardless of what kind of suit they are wearing. I think float suits instill a lot of false security. Meaning, you’ll still float if your dead and a rescue isn’t part of the warranty. I’d rather rely on instinct and use my spud bar than rely on my suit keeping me afloat long enough for someone to drag my dumb ass out of the lake.

Personally, I went with and always will go with flotation assisted clothes when possible or just wear a PFD. There are quite a few stocked trout lakes around me and some are aerated throughout the winter. So at times some of the lake has 3 ft of ice and then some parts are open water all season. Ice conditions change through out the day and although its unlikely that spudding an area in the early AM will have much change throughout the course of a day. I'd prefer to spend the extra $ and have 99% chance of being able to kiss my kids goodnight.

Also, my thinking is if im walking around spudding (the whole point is to test and ensure safety) the ice safety is in question. If I drop while spudding I'd much prefer something floating then not.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 26, 2020, 02:49 PM »
yeah i never bought them so i could act like an idiot with a death wish,  more so as a just in case.  same reason i have a window smasher hanging from my rearview mirror.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 26, 2020, 03:38 PM »
Personally, I went with and always will go with flotation assisted clothes when possible or just wear a PFD. There are quite a few stocked trout lakes around me and some are aerated throughout the winter. So at times some of the lake has 3 ft of ice and then some parts are open water all season. Ice conditions change through out the day and although its unlikely that spudding an area in the early AM will have much change throughout the course of a day. I'd prefer to spend the extra $ and have 99% chance of being able to kiss my kids goodnight.

Also, my thinking is if im walking around spudding (the whole point is to test and ensure safety) the ice safety is in question. If I drop while spudding I'd much prefer something floating then not.

Your comment literally proves my point about float suits instilling a false sense of security. You wouldn’t feel comfortable walking on that ice without your float suit right? Then maybe you shouldn’t walk on it with your float suit. A float suit doesn’t save your life. It eliminates the need for a diver when your inevitable “just in case” happens. You think “it’s ok because if I fall through my float suit will save me”. That’s a false sense of security that if you didn’t have you wouldn’t decide it was ok to walk on ice you wouldn’t have otherwise. Whether you’re acting like an idiot or not. I shouldn’t have to repeat the mantra of “no ice is safe ice” but a float suit does nothing to prevent you from falling through the ice in the first place. And that’s what most people assume when they hear “float suit” that “I can walk anywhere!”.....No, you can’t. Again, “MOST” people. Most ice anglers  aren’t active members on this site and my posts are mostly geared to people new to this hobby so when they do join this site for help and advice their perception isn’t skewed on what’s “safe” and the fact is is that I believe float suits instill a false sense of security because I witness it every single ice season with newbies and seasoned professionals alike. People die doing what we do. Every year. Most people die because they think their gear is made to save their life but the reality is that when you’re alone floating in a frozen lake, nobody is coming to save you and if you’re relying on a glorified “life preserver” (notice they aren’t called “life savers”) you should probably reconsider what you feel is safe to begin with.

Also, if you drop while spudding, you weren’t paying attention to your spud very well, going way too fast, or both. You were probably relying on the ol’ “if it doesn’t go through in one good whack I’m good!” rhetoric while walking at full pace. Which is another false sense of security A LOT of ice anglers tend to rely on that I witness every year regardless of ice experience.

Nobodies life is worth catching a fish and float suits tend to make people like us think “maybe it is today because my suit floats”. Kind of like when you see a guy in pajamas and flip flops riding a motorcycle but it’s a good thing he’s wearing a helmet. Much like a float suit, that helmet is doing beans to save anything....
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Oct 26, 2020, 03:46 PM »
Been rocking a set of Striker hardwater bibs since 2013. As for Ran7ger, I to bought a set flotation bibs with the worst case scenario in mind. I have broke through once when fishing a small trout lake when stepping through a slush pocket left from an unmarked ice hole (mark your sight fishing holes people). I only dropped down one leg but still did not expect to break through when the rest of the ice was 3' thick. It was only last year that the wearing has started showing on my knees, they are holding up well but I may need to patch it this year. I have the coat as well but I only wear it 20% of the time cause the bibs and my hoodie are warm enough when I'm hole hopping.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 26, 2020, 03:54 PM »
Your comment literally proves my point about float suits instilling a false sense of security. You wouldn’t feel comfortable walking on that ice without your float suit right? Then maybe you shouldn’t walk on it with your float suit. A float suit doesn’t save your life. It eliminates the need for a diver when your inevitable “just in case” happens. You think “it’s ok because if I fall through my float suit will save me”. That’s a false sense of security that if you didn’t have you wouldn’t decide it was ok to walk on ice you wouldn’t have otherwise. Whether you’re acting like an idiot or not. I shouldn’t have to repeat the mantra of “no ice is safe ice” but a float suit does nothing to prevent you from falling through the ice in the first place. And that’s what most people assume when they hear “float suit” that “I can walk anywhere!”.....No, you can’t. Again, “MOST” people. Most ice anglers  aren’t active members on this site and my posts are mostly geared to people new to this hobby so when they do join this site for help and advice their perception isn’t skewed on what’s “safe” and the fact is is that I believe float suits instill a false sense of security because I witness it every single ice season with newbies and seasoned professionals alike. People die doing what we do. Every year. Most people die because they think their gear is made to save their life but the reality is that when you’re alone floating in a frozen lake, nobody is coming to save you and if you’re relying on a glorified “life preserver” (notice they aren’t called “life savers”) you should probably reconsider what you feel is safe to begin with.

Also, if you drop while spudding, you weren’t paying attention to your spud very well, going way too fast, or both. You were probably relying on the ol’ “if it doesn’t go through in one good whack I’m good!” rhetoric while walking at full pace. Which is another false sense of security A LOT of ice anglers tend to rely on that I witness every year regardless of ice experience.

Nobodies life is worth catching a fish and float suits tend to make people like us think “maybe it is today because my suit floats”. Kind of like when you see a guy in pajamas and flip flops riding a motorcycle but it’s a good thing he’s wearing a helmet. Much like a float suit, that helmet is doing beans to save anything....
:thumbsup:

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #22 on: Oct 26, 2020, 05:29 PM »
What's up with all the magnets?  Really limits a guy with a pace/defib device...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.