Author Topic: One man Shanty  (Read 4960 times)

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
One man Shanty
« on: Oct 16, 2020, 09:32 PM »
If you had to pick a one man shack what would it be? I have a shappell FX100, its a good shack but its a little tight on space. Thinking of selling it and my Eskimo 6120i to get a nice one man for when i have to walk out. I’m looking at the clam legend xl or an otter cottage, but I wouldn’t mind some outside input. Thanks in advance!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: One man Shanty
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2020, 09:56 PM »
Watch the weights. Tub design is important to me, the sweep of the nose is something I pay close attention to along with weight.

Have you checked out the fx150?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2020, 04:01 AM »
Well, I'm not sure if you're completely sold on a flip over, but I just purchased this. I was a little suspect at first ( get what you pay for ???), but after reading the reviews I decided to pull the trigger...and so far I'm not disappointed. It is a solid unit, well insulated, went up and down with no issues and at 20# it was just what I was looking for. As with most shelters, they are liberal in the amount of people it will accommodate. This one claims 3-4 people. But because I like space, I would put this one at a 2, maybe 3. But I primarily fish alone so needed something light and easy to setup...this was it. Anyway, just tossed this out there as an option.

https://www.amazon.com/FERRET-Waterproof-Portable-Shelter-Insulated/dp/B07WT41N3B
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2020, 04:12 AM »
The Clam Legend XL is a great one man house (more like a man and a half). I personal run the ice team version of the Legend XL. what is nice about the ice team version is that you get the light bar, battery bracket and travel with it for the extra $100 in price. only other thing I recommend you add to it is the runner kit. This saves the bottom of the sled from excess wear. the design of the Legend XL is based off the Scout XL with the only difference being that with the Legend XL the poles of the frame come off the side of the sled where as with the scout it came off the end of the sled. also by coming off the side and using the expandable poles Clam was able to make the house taller (still really can't stand up in it unless you happen to be shorter). The legend XL is more of a house that is meant to be hand pulled do to having the low profile sled. another nice one man that Clam makes is the Kenai Pro thermal. It sits taller but down side is the fishable area is a hair smaller then the Legend XL.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2020, 04:18 AM »
Well, I'm not sure if you're completely sold on a flip over, but I just purchased this. I was a little suspect at first ( get what you pay for ???), but after reading the reviews I decided to pull the trigger...and so far I'm not disappointed. It is a solid unit, well insulated, went up and down with no issues and at 20# it was just what I was looking for. As with most shelters, they are liberal in the amount of people it will accommodate. This one claims 3-4 people. But because I like space, I would put this one at a 2, maybe 3. But I primarily fish alone so needed something light and easy to setup...this was it. Anyway, just tossed this out there as an option.

https://www.amazon.com/FERRET-Waterproof-Portable-Shelter-Insulated/dp/B07WT41N3B

for the same price you could of got the Clam C-360 Thermal hub. it is taller then the ferret by 10 inches and has twice the thickness in the fabric(600 vs 300 denier fabric).

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/c-360-thermal-hub-shelter.html

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2020, 04:42 AM »
for the same price you could of got the Clam C-360 Thermal hub. it is taller then the ferret by 10 inches and has twice the thickness in the fabric(600 vs 300 denier fabric).

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/c-360-thermal-hub-shelter.html

The difference in denier is probably why the Ferret is 15# lighter but should still be plenty warm enough with my heater. And the center height isn't an issue with me as I'm only 5'8". Maybe for a taller person who stands a lot it might be. Something to consider I guess.

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2020, 07:24 AM »
Frabill recruit is the biggest 1 man I've owned , 62 pound I think  but not 100% on that ,   but you can remove the seat and mount bracket and use a folding chair to cut  weight,  it's worth  a look

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2020, 07:58 AM »

" Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2020, 08:07 AM »
The Clam Legend XL is a great one man house (more like a man and a half). I personal run the ice team version of the Legend XL. what is nice about the ice team version is that you get the light bar, battery bracket and travel with it for the extra $100 in price. only other thing I recommend you add to it is the runner kit. This saves the bottom of the sled from excess wear. the design of the Legend XL is based off the Scout XL with the only difference being that with the Legend XL the poles of the frame come off the side of the sled where as with the scout it came off the end of the sled. also by coming off the side and using the expandable poles Clam was able to make the house taller (still really can't stand up in it unless you happen to be shorter). The legend XL is more of a house that is meant to be hand pulled do to having the low profile sled. another nice one man that Clam makes is the Kenai Pro thermal. It sits taller but down side is the fishable area is a hair smaller then the Legend XL.

Are those the only differences in the ice team vs the the regular one? I usually put LED lights in all my shacks so i have all the stuff around. The tent design is different as well isn’t it? I like the legend xl, the current contenders are it or an otter cottage. The  I think hub shacks have their place but in the 5 years ive had mine i can say ive used them maybe once a season, alway seems like after all the work of setting up we decide to move to another spot. Thanks for the input. I might go see if scheels has any of their shacks out so i can get a hands on.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2020, 08:27 AM »
" Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

Huh. I just went to the site and it said 9 left in stock. 🤷‍♂️

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2020, 09:10 AM »
I was in the same place last season. Wanted to get a one man flip to replace my Clam Big Foot XL. I also wanted a little elbow room. I went with the Clam Nanook XL. Very happy with my choice. I use it as a one man with just one seat. It is light enough to load in an SUV by my self. I’m older and walk with a Smitty with no problems. It is also tall enough for me to stand.  I considered other 1 and 1 1/2 man sleds and really like the extra room of the Nanook XL. Very happy after a season of use.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2020, 12:11 PM »
Huh. I just went to the site and it said 9 left in stock. 🤷‍♂️

BTW, op has a pop up. He has an eskimo 6120i

Found it. Says at the top of page "Deliver to Luxembourg" in my tor browser.
When I give it a USA zip code there are 9 available.

Anyway, I have two pop ups and two one man flips and one suitcase shanty and never use a pop up for one person. The pop up is way more work to use than a flip and a flip is way more convenient and faster to move. Taking down a frozen pop up (the condensation sticks to the walls and freezes after the heat is off) in the dark is no fun. You have to remove everything inside, then tear down the pop up, then pack it all up including ice anchors, tethers, chairs and gear.
A flip is instant shelter. Grab a rod and sit down and flip it over.
For me, a pop up is for two or more. Uses more fuel also.
A buddy does the same thing. He did buy a clam for more room and is happy. He used to use a fx100 and likes the added space of the clam.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2020, 01:01 PM »
Frabill recruit is the biggest 1 man I've owned , 62 pound I think  but not 100% on that ,   but you can remove the seat and mount bracket and use a folding chair to cut  weight,  it's worth  a look

Got my buddy a screaming deal on an insulated one via Amazon last season ..he is 6' 4"plus ..big dude ..fits the needs of him and his 11 yoa son/ice angler. I have a 2 man Frabill Adventurer.uninsulated ..the cousin to the Trekker/Aegis . My best advice is go by weight/the ability to drag by hand then size of the tub ..then height ..if your 6 foot and above thatll be a big factor .. insulated is very nice ...and are great on cloudy not so warm days ..uninsulated you could always get a Buddy heater this is what I do ..but an insulated flip over would be nice ..but with the recent winters less of a concern for my area.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2020, 01:55 PM »
Got a Jason Mitchell Clam Blazer last year.  I use my own ultra lite stool and it weighs like 25lbs. Im 5-11 190 and fits fine.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline gonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2020, 02:26 PM »
Can’t say enough about my Clam XL Legend. I added hifax to sled. Pulls nice with very usable room. Many hole placement options. Can’t go wrong.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Oct 17, 2020, 02:55 PM »
BTW, op has a pop up. He has an eskimo 6120i

Found it. Says at the top of page "Deliver to Luxembourg" in my tor browser.
When I give it a USA zip code there are 9 available.

Anyway, I have two pop ups and two one man flips and one suitcase shanty and never use a pop up for one person. The pop up is way more work to use than a flip and a flip is way more convenient and faster to move. Taking down a frozen pop up (the condensation sticks to the walls and freezes after the heat is off) in the dark is no fun. You have to remove everything inside, then tear down the pop up, then pack it all up including ice anchors, tethers, chairs and gear.
A flip is instant shelter. Grab a rod and sit down and flip it over.
For me, a pop up is for two or more. Uses more fuel also.
A buddy does the same thing. He did buy a clam for more room and is happy. He used to use a fx100 and likes the added space of the clam.

1) Yes, OP has a 6 man pop-up...not conducive for 1 person...which is what he's looking for.
2) I owned a flip for many years. Borrowed a buddies hub last year. Hub wins for me...here's why:

90% of the time, I fish with no shelter. The only times I use one is if I plan to sit-n-fish over one spot (rare) and extremely cold conditions. As for heating it...pretty economical for me. Mr. Heater sunflower w/ 5# tank which I just filled for $4.75. And to refill it is only 2 miles from me. And as man in his 60's, I like comfort and room to move around...more of a necessity. Yes, it can be a bit tough taking it down in not so ideal conditions...but that's not often either. I just take my time. I'm in no hurry. And when I get it home, pop 'er open and let it thaw. But that's just me.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 17, 2020, 10:03 PM »
Are those the only differences in the ice team vs the the regular one? I usually put LED lights in all my shacks so i have all the stuff around. The tent design is different as well isn’t it? I like the legend xl, the current contenders are it or an otter cottage. The  I think hub shacks have their place but in the 5 years ive had mine i can say ive used them maybe once a season, alway seems like after all the work of setting up we decide to move to another spot. Thanks for the input. I might go see if scheels has any of their shacks out so i can get a hands on.

yes that is the only difference. as for the tent it self the color is slightly different between the two. the regular one doesn't have the green color in it or say ice team on the house and travel cover. also if you buy the three added accessories by them self you would be more then the $100 they cost as part of the ice team model. so yes the ice team version is the extra $100 up front but you do save on the three accessories in the long run because the light bar by it self is $59.99 msrp the battery bracket is $14.99 msrp, & the travel cover is $59.99 msrp for a total of $134.97 so by buying the ice team version you save $34.97 off the add ons.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 17, 2020, 10:16 PM »
Got a Jason Mitchell Clam Blazer last year.  I use my own ultra lite stool and it weighs like 25lbs. Im 5-11 190 and fits fine.

I'm on my 3rd season with the Blazer, replaced an Otter Hideout. It's so light I don't have to take my gear out when I load/unload it from the truck.  Not super wide but lots of length in front, plenty of room in the sled too. I use the bracket with a bucket that has a padded lid

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #18 on: Oct 18, 2020, 06:29 PM »
I have a Otter cabin hub 2 man and Clam Kenai with expanding front providing more fishing room. I like both in varyingg situations. The Otter works great when I take a bud last minute or real cold weather. I find the Clam claustrophobic but great hole hoping.

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 19, 2020, 08:08 AM »

Love my recruit

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 19, 2020, 08:32 AM »
Love my recruit too

fairly light for the size, tons of room, well built, durable, comfy seat if you move it back on the bracket a bit it is even better

The clam legend xl is a little taller but smaller in shoulder room.

Eskimo wide 1 inferno is another great 1 man

Catchin' Fish

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 19, 2020, 08:34 AM »
Definitely recommend going to a store to sit in them.  If this option is available, it is the best way to see what will work for you. This way you can try all the models that they have on hand and you can see what will work for you.  If there is a ice or Sportsmans show around your area - this is another good option. 

Take what you read here and go put it to work after sitting in them.  You may find something that you can live with or not. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 19, 2020, 12:27 PM »
Love my recruit too
(Image removed from quote.)

fairly light for the size, tons of room, well built, durable, comfy seat if you move it back on the bracket a bit it is even better

The clam legend xl is a little taller but smaller in shoulder room.

Eskimo wide 1 inferno is another great 1 man
I used a cheap white spray paint for the tub, probably should have went another route but it helps alot

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 19, 2020, 03:50 PM »
get a frbill requruit...or a clam kenai pro thermal.......period.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Oct 19, 2020, 05:35 PM »
I've been looking at the Shappell FX100 and FX100i
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Frankie Bags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 19, 2020, 06:52 PM »
You may want to look at the lighter 2 person sleds like the Clam nanook and Eskimo Sierra, or the large one person Frabill recruit. I had a Kenai and it was much harder to pull than the larger nanook. You can easily remove the seats and benefit from the extra space. Good luck with your search.

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 19, 2020, 08:46 PM »
Anyone have the weights of the frabill seats (with brackets) and Clam seats, as I'm thinking of going to two man route 

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Oct 19, 2020, 11:09 PM »
Anyone have the weights of the frabill seats (with brackets) and Clam seats, as I'm thinking of going to two man route

the Clam seats in the Nanook run around 14 pounds each.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Oct 20, 2020, 08:20 AM »

The Clam Nanook without  seats (14 lbs each)  weighs 50 pounds. I chose it as my one man because of weight, height, and room.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 20, 2020, 08:25 AM »
Frabill seat/bracket is 14-15lbs on my scale

Catchin' Fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.