Author Topic: Where to look to help people with disabilities?  (Read 605 times)

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Where to look to help people with disabilities?
« on: Oct 13, 2020, 12:48 PM »
This winter I would like to offer some of my time and energy into helping people with physical/learning disabilities with access to ice fishing. I would estimate I can accommodate 1-2 days a month taking 1-2 people at a time onto the ice to fish. Of course there are many things and obstacles I will need to determine if I am willing to do and if myself is enough to handle it. I have never guided, short of some friends and family outings but definitely have enough gear for 3-4 people. I would also be willing to invest some money into acquiring proper attire for outdoors in case someone doesn't own it.
I am looking for any guidance, experience and resources to point me in the right direction. I am located in SK, CAN.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Where to look to help people with disabilities?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2020, 12:55 PM »
Maybe make contact with some local hunting and fishing clubs/organization . They may already have plans/in roads either at/in the organizations in which you want to help.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2020, 01:00 PM »
Good suggestion. I'll get in touch with the local clubs. Thanks

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2020, 01:04 PM »
Not sure what age groups you are wishing to help but veterans may also help or need help . Good luck .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2020, 01:14 PM »
I would think an age group of 20's- 70's is broad enough. I actually just send a msg to a local legion in my city but another good suggestion.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2020, 04:01 PM »
I think there's a group called wounded warriors that helps get disabled vets out.  In high school I had some buddies that had jobs doing what you are offering up for free but I don't recall the groups name.  You could also talk to group homes like the eagles nest, those kids need all the help they can get.

Good luck on your noble quest!

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2020, 04:54 PM »
I think there's a group called wounded warriors that helps get disabled vets out.

"Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing" sounds like a similar organization, albeit geared towards the fly fishing crowd.  You might try contacting them...I reckon their network of contacts might include someone with an interest in ice-fishing.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2020, 06:14 PM »
Hey sparksNfishing! Two thumbs up on your "project"!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I've been involved in fundraising events for Wounded Warriors and contributed to fishing opportunities for the disabled, whether military or otherwise. I believe it to be a noble cause. Unfortunately I am in the US but I will encourage you in your cause. Contact local agencies for the disabled and vets and I'll bet you get some feedback.

Best to you! If you require some tackle to accommodate your group(s) I'd bet if you post up here you would find some contributors. I know I could/would be one!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2020, 07:14 PM »
SparksNfishing first off I think you have a great idea and wish you all the best in bringing it to fruition.  :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: I would also talk with your insurance agent and see what type of coverage you need to protect yourself if something bad ever did happen on one of the fishing trips. I have a little experience with this topic my fishing mentor had a female friend who had to deal with Cerebral Palsy from her birth. Barbara did not let this stop her from trying different things when she mentioned to my mentor that she wanted to try ice fishing he set about finding lakes with easy access where he could get close to the water with his SUV. I went on a few fishing trips with the two of them one of us would walk with Barbara on the way to spot we intended to fish which was usually close to shore. If needed we would help Barbara get into an empty Jet sled and pull her out then one of us would go back and get our gear while the other got her set up with a chair and drilled a hole or two for her to fish. Her disability affected the use of and feeling in one of her arms so we always used a lure like a Swedish Pimple or Hali on her line(easier for her to fell the lures action while jigging) if either of us was catching fish on another type of lure we would fish a hole near her and if we hooked a fish  do our best to keep it on the line and try to get her to the hole and let her land the fish if she was not catching anything. Remember you may have to help the person put on creepers .etc. so depending on the person's level of disability you may want to find someone to assist you on your trips.
 I agree with Esox-xtm once you get things organized start a post asking for gear donations I'm sure many people hre would be happy to help you in some way. all the best to you with this idea.
 Steve

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2020, 06:42 AM »
Fishing has no boundaries  might be able help/answer questions. I had the pleasure of volunteering for them.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2020, 10:11 AM »
Check with your local VA, American Legion, VFW, etc. Pretty sure they could help you  out. And I salute you sir for your kind gesture. :thumbsup:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2020, 10:45 AM »
I have reached out to a couple local organizations in my city which I hope to hear back from soon. I've also been told about a program called "The blind adventurer foundation" which I think is awesome and will be a good place for me to start helping people, if they operate locally to me. With my inexperience of guiding I think taking people who are mostly self sufficient but need just a little extra help and may not own the items needed. Starting there gives me hope that I can actually get this done and not be overwhelmed by it. Thanks for all the suggestions so far!
About the suggestions of asking for gear. That's not me. I try to never ask for help unless I truly need it. I don't plan to turn a dime or build my gear. Very kind that people would help out though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.