Author Topic: Otter Cabin or Lodge X-Over decisions?  (Read 2151 times)

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
Otter Cabin or Lodge X-Over decisions?
« on: Oct 08, 2020, 03:12 PM »
I have decided on the Otter brand flip-over since they seem to be the "best" & am considering either the Cabin or Lodge & have some questions.  I live far enough away where I can't go look at them in person, so looking for a little input.  I understand that a smaller footprint will have less wind resistance, but how does the bigger Lodge compare in windy situations?  It can get very windy where I fish & I was wondering how the bigger lodge handles high winds & 40+ mph wind gusts?  Is the rear (wind facing) surface area much bigger where it would even make a difference when comparing to the Otter Cabin?  I just need something that is very durable & stand up to the abuse to last me a while.  Does the heavier 1200 denier in the Pro model help compared the the lighter 600 denier?  Has anybody ever removed their seats (swivel or bench) from their Otter & used a different type chair in the shelter?  My dad has a bad back & I don't think either of these two factory options would work well for him.  Does anybody else use a different chair in their Ottor & is it feasible to use a folding camping chair with the two rear legs in the sled & the other front two legs on the ice?

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Otter Cabin or Lodge X-Over decisions?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2020, 04:31 PM »
I run a x-over cabin and wind is wind. Either way the back is going to pushed in a bit unless you have your back pole and everything else completely tight. Non issue in my mind, doesnt matter what house you are running. The heavier denier is worth every penny in my mind. Why skimp on something and wish you had it later? As far as the chairs go, I would keep the cross bar in and just mod a chair to that that would fit his needs.

The real question is what are you going to haul the house around with? I would go larger but my crew cab short box only fits a cabin under my topper and wouldnt want to keep the tailgate open if making long hauls. Just my two cents... Loved every Otter I have owned and wouldnt look at anything else for the amount of abuse its been through and hearing stories of other companies sleds/fabric not holding up in the wind.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2020, 07:40 PM »
Sold my xt 650 with the bench seat last winter and bought a X-over pro Lodge. My xt 650 was awesome and the only reason I sold it was because there were some great closeout deals on x-over pro’s at the end of the season last year. I have a crew cab with a 6.5’ bed and it fits just fine, couple years ago i got a utility trailer and an atv to drag my shack around with. These things SUCK to drag by hand, the cabin is a bit better but not much. Get what you can handle and transport efficiently. Either way you can’t go wrong with an Otter. A couple of the guys i fish with have otter cottages and love them as well. I fish by myself a lot and i prefer the Lodge because it has so much room! I tend travel a bit heavy. Good luck!

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2020, 06:53 AM »
I bought the Lodge X-Over Pro and used it several times last season - really nice shack, but I would not care to pull it by hand.  Wind didn't seem to bother it much as I always had all the frame support poles in place each time it was used.  Getting set up takes a bit of time dealing with extending the frame poles and adding those wind support poles, especially when it's just myself but it's still very manageable to do.  Having a second person speeds things up considerably. I used the Otter swivel seats that came with the shanty, but can't say I love them.  They aren't bad in terms of comfort, they just sit a tad to high for my liking.  I do like how the seat support brackets function, though - easy to install/position/remove.  I will likely change the Otter seats with different folding seat like the Millennium's if it will lower the height some.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2020, 07:39 AM »
I got a Lodge pro last year when otter was offering huge discounts... if your going to be in stiff winds I would definitely recommend the pro model, the 1200 tent is really nice and helps with wind and noise, you really feel like your out of the elements when you step into it... The seats just pop in and out so I'm sure you could leave them home and bring something more to your pop's liking.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline TKfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2020, 01:45 PM »
Did you take a look at the new Eskimo Eskapes? Looks like the 2600 series lands right in between the Cabin and Lodge size if that's what you're looking for.

https://geteskimo.com/collections/sled/products/eskape-2600

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2020, 02:46 PM »
I presume all prospective buyers know these huts weigh a lot. Add gear etc and the weight gets way up there. I manhaul my gear a lot and so I think about that.  You should too. Good luck and happy buying.

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2020, 10:52 PM »
Did you take a look at the new Eskimo Eskapes? Looks like the 2600 series lands right in between the Cabin and Lodge size if that's what you're looking for.

https://geteskimo.com/collections/sled/products/eskape-2600

Thanks for the suggestion.  Like the side doors, height & extra fishing space on the Eskape...BUT... It looks like the lower bar angles up to the sled a lot further than the Otter.  Seems like it would be a lot easier to accidentally step on & bend or trip over every time you go in & out.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2020, 09:12 AM »
I’m sure the Eskape is a well built and put together shack but it looks cumbersome to setup and take down. The otter X-over has the same issue but in the x-over i only set the poles to the side door mode if I’m not planning to move very often. It would be nice to have it fit under a tonneau cover, It was a bit aggravating the first time i put my otter in the back of my newer ford pickup only to find that the new body style beds were about 2” shorter and that my shack no longer fit under the cover..... First world problems i guess

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2020, 08:53 PM »
I have an X-Over cabin. I took the bench seat out and replaced it with a couple millennium marine seats. I love the seats. I can actually sit in it all day and not hurt my back. I made some brackets so they are easily removable so I can get the tonneau cover closed still. They attach right to the bench seat frame. Let me see if I can find some pictures.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.