Author Topic: Looking at new fish finder, school me  (Read 438 times)

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking at new fish finder, school me
« on: Sep 10, 2020, 02:57 PM »
I'm looking at getting a new dual purpose fish finder for my boat and possibly to use on the ice. I currently have really old units on the boat that aren't much more than speedometers. I know I've heard people talk about the Helix are there others? Would like graphing, and maybe side imaging for the boat. I use a sled so size isn't a big issue for the ice either. Any suggestions on brands or models to check out would be appreciated.

Offline MTJ

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Looking at new fish finder, school me
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2020, 09:17 PM »
Garmin striker 4 portable kit is very good and has a low price, but no side imaging. It might not be quite what you're looking for but I really like mine.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2020, 10:01 PM »
I'm a Lowrance guy because I'm "frugal" and my tech needs to move from hardwater to my kayak, to my buddy's pond boat, and along on vacation elsewhere.

My requirements are colored screens, GPS, mapping capability and portability. The simple benefit of marking open water waypoints that I can take along on the ice made my choice clear a long time ago.

I also don't want to get too horked off if something breaks, gets left behind or stolen.

Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline bart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2020, 07:21 AM »
My Lowrance Mark 4  does triple duty, Ice, Kayak and Boat. Although I only use the GPS on the Ice Fishing Sled(single cable), I am looking to up-grading to a larger screen and plan on using it as additional fishfinder on the ice also.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  KEEP AMERICA GREAT!

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2020, 08:12 AM »
Check out the helix you can buy it with everything you want, side imaging,down imaging, GPS, and flasher mode for icefishing.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Pudsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2020, 08:57 PM »
Another vote for the Helix.  I got a Helix5 last year, and really like it.  I am going to get the stuff to put a mount in my small aluminum fishing boat next year.

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.