Author Topic: Ice Cleats  (Read 5272 times)

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Ice Cleats
« on: Aug 30, 2020, 10:04 AM »
In need of a new pair of ice cleats this year. Looking for good recommendations on cleats that will last and will NOT come off. In the past have experienced loosing 1 and trying to find later in the snow. I see some of the newer ones now come with a Velcro strap, that might help. I might add that some that I have had are a b--ch to get on.

Thanks for your input.
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Ice Cleats
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2020, 10:17 AM »
I have used Kahtoola's Micro for several seasons without them coming off ...but they are pricey ..Amazon has some knock offs and some with the cross strap which I imagine has to make them even more secure  and for the money may be a great option for you ...but Katoolas CS seems to be outstanding according to past interactions from IS members. Some IS members have had issues with ice balls forming on the bottom ..but if you remember to stomp them from time to time it really a non issue .

What brand/style are you using now ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2020, 10:59 AM »
Sometimes I think I'm a cheap smack but really I'm just value minded. Had these for probably goin' on 30 years. I got 'em because the bright green latex tubing straps looked kinda cool.

ARCTIC SPURS

I found the the latex didn't last but barely 2 seasons and really didn't secure the spikes like I needed. In the 3rd season I replaced the failed green tubing with regular natural colored latex. That was even worse. Before the end of the 4th season I replaced the latex with round, multi-filament rubber bungee you can buy very inexpensively by the foot at most camping supply stores. Got way over 10 seasons on the bungee plus they fit more snugly than the latex ever did. I just re-did them 3 seasons ago because the "standard length" I copied from the original latex was almost impossible to get on over my Cabelas TA III boots. Simple adjustment and I'm good to go for another 10 years or better. You don't even need a hog ring to secure the bungee unless you need/want it to look "professional". I used stripped 12 awg solid copper wire wrapped very tightly 3 times without a failure.

I know, they don't have heel-to-toe gripping and they are not a sexy choice. But they don't ice up where they won't work, clear easily if they do pick up a bit and are good enough steel to bang around quite a bit without getting all bent up. Geez, they aren't too different a design wise than the cheapest creeper you can get. Yet they have done the job for me for decades without fail once modded with bungee.

I won't mess with buckles, don't believe Velcro will hold up well in icy conditions, won't have a rubber webbed thing that fits over the boot because rubber deteriorates over time and bungee is way cheaper to replace than the entire creeper/spike deal. Mine ain't broke (any more), and call me a cheap smack, but I'm good.  ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2020, 12:18 PM »
I have used Kahtoola's Micro for several seasons without them coming off ...but they are pricey ..Amazon has some knock offs and some with the cross strap which I imagine has to make them even more secure  and for the money may be a great option for you ...but Katoolas CS seems to be outstanding according to past interactions from IS members. Some IS members have had issues with ice balls forming on the bottom ..but if you remember to stomp them from time to time it really a non issue .

What brand/style are you using now ?
Been using Yaktrax XTR's for the past couple years. On 1 foot the metal separated from the plastic not worth trying to repair.
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2020, 12:28 PM »
Tried different brands and finally settled on the Kahtoolas. Spendy yes. First set only lasted one season. got them replaced with no issues and no questions. Second set going in three seasons working fine.  Main reason I recommend this brand is the great customer srevice.
Keep it safe! JDL

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2020, 04:20 PM »
Been using Yaktrax XTR's for the past couple years. On 1 foot the metal separated from the plastic not worth trying to repair.

My buddy had some Yaktrax..dont think they lasted too long . Once again Kahtoolas are the gold standard . I have tried them all ..having Stablicers for the longest ..but walking/fishing in them all day hurt my back ..you dont bend your feet and walk like the Frankenstein monster..  with the Kahtoolas not a bit of pain .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2020, 04:23 PM »
Kahtoolas..maybe china knockoffs will work but im sticking to kahtoola microspikes.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2020, 04:29 PM »
 My kahtoolas are now 14 years old , and still going strong , I average 4 days a week

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2020, 05:09 PM »
I was gonna screw my TA IIIs with Kold Kutters but I just knew if'n I walked into a bar (or anywhere else) with my ice boots on I'd be tearin' up the floor. Now I'd never walk in with those things on at home but you never know... There could be tequila involved  ;)2

So I'm back to Mr. Cheap Smack...  :roflmao:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Aug 30, 2020, 05:40 PM »

I picked up a pair of TAs 2 years ago for really cold days and I put Kold kutters  21 in each boot Very comfortable and change out after fishing

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #10 on: Aug 30, 2020, 07:03 PM »
Kahtoola Microspikes
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Milwaukee

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Drillin' Holes, Bending Poles
« Reply #11 on: Aug 30, 2020, 07:12 PM »
Honestly, I think it depends what you're like and how you use em.

I'm a big dude and I ice fish 5 days a week if there's ice. I'm not very thoughtful on where I walk with my cleats (concrete, sand, rocks) and I naturally put more wear on them being heavy.

I have yet to buy a pair of cleats that haven't broken or disappointed me in someway. I've tried the elastic tube spike ones, yaktrax, everything under the sun. The closest ones I've come to loving were the HT strap on full sole cleats. Downfall was the studs fell out often.

So basically now days I buy whatever is on sale and run em til they break and buy something else.
Drillin' Holes, Bending Poles

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Aug 31, 2020, 07:29 AM »
My drive to the river/lake is as little as 5 minutes, or at most 20 minutes, so I can pretty much be fully dressed with boots/bibs and everything before I leave the house. I wanted something I could drive with, and walk the icy parking lots. I used the regular YakTrax for several years, but I'd go through a set every season. I tried the chains also by YakTrax and have been wearing the first set I bought for three seasons. They don't have the "grip" like the sheet metal ones do, but I can wear them driving, inside the gas station/bait shop, shoveling the driveway, pretty much anywhere but the floors inside my house. They grip pretty well, I've never worried about slipping. Recommended, and under $20

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Aug 31, 2020, 06:45 PM »
I'm a cheap ass and too lazy to put those things on! Got an old pair of Kamik(?) boots that I just screw in 1/4 inch  sheet metal screws into the raised soles, works great, easy to replace!

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 01, 2020, 08:32 AM »
I used some Yaktrax Pro ones for two years before the rubber broke.  Some gorilla tape got me another year out of them.  Not bad if you don't mind replacing.

I just bought a pair of these from Amazon.  No ice yet, so I haven't gotten to try them out.  These are one option for knock off Kahtoolas that some guys referenced.  Only $24, so I rolled the dice on them being decent.  I'll do a review post once I've had a chance to try them out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0784RQW5C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Sep 01, 2020, 01:02 PM »
I would never buy Kahtoola's for a single reason: I cannot wear them in my permanent fish house.

I leave my other chain/diamond style cleats on my boots all winter long and never take them off. If I wore Kahtoola's, I'd have to put them on/off regularly in order to drive and avoid damaging my fish house flooring or change boots in order to go inside/outside.
See you on the ice!

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Sep 01, 2020, 01:25 PM »
I would never buy Kahtoola's for a single reason: I cannot wear them in my permanent fish house.

I leave my other chain/diamond style cleats on my boots all winter long and never take them off. If I wore Kahtoola's, I'd have to put them on/off regularly in order to drive and avoid damaging my fish house flooring or change boots in order to go inside/outside.

I thought about that too with the ones I ordered.  They don't look like something I can wear inside my house.  I fish outside or in a hub, so I figure I'll leave them attached to my boots.  I usually only put my boots on once I'm at the lake anyhow.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 01, 2020, 02:31 PM »
kahtoolas, I bought a pair a couple years ago. I highly recommend them.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 02, 2020, 08:25 AM »
I’ve tried most and never found a coil or chain one that stayed on, the coil ones I thought were slippery and dangerous. I like the cheap HT rubber ones you pull over your boot. Cheap and effective.

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Sep 02, 2020, 03:50 PM »
Spending $70-$80 on microspikes is still cheaper then a hospital/insurance claim. I've had my micro spikes for 5 seasons now and still rock solid. I have heard people that do run into issues though have very good CS from them as well which is a nice piece of mind thing as well.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #20 on: Sep 02, 2020, 05:53 PM »
I actually stepped up into getting crampons.  The full function of being able to run and turn and even dragging a loaded sled up slopes or stopping yourself from sliding down a slope is quite something.  Not that I'm about to start climbing any ice heaves but if need be, no worries either.
For more information read my MN nice journal

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Sep 02, 2020, 06:03 PM »
Spending $70-$80 on microspikes is still cheaper then a hospital/insurance claim. I've had my micro spikes for 5 seasons now and still rock solid. I have heard people that do run into issues though have very good CS from them as well which is a nice piece of mind thing as well.

Spikes n Spud or Crampons n Chisel  first ice and last ice any ice safety gear and a must .

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Sep 02, 2020, 07:59 PM »
Stabil icer

Offline wolverine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I ain't gettin em I'm Lookin
« Reply #23 on: Sep 02, 2020, 08:12 PM »
Arctic spurs here also, been using for over 25 years and will have to try the bungee cord
When rubber goes bad again. Have tried others like YakTrax and rubber pull ones but
always go back to the spurs. Tried and trusted let alone they were real cheap and long lasting.

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Sep 08, 2020, 06:36 PM »
Spikes n Spud or Crampons n Chisel  first ice and last ice any ice safety gear and a must .
Which Crampons did you go with, I kinda like this idea.
Keep Your Auger Sharp

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Sep 08, 2020, 07:15 PM »
Which Crampons did you go with, I kinda like this idea.

Kahtoolas ...if I had the money I spent or other brands I could of bought a back up pair .

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Sep 08, 2020, 09:05 PM »
check out sportsmens direct. https://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/ice-cleats/ice-hopper-creepers/   not sure if link will work but normally they put these on sale for like 39 bucks. On par with kahtoohlas for less. They have treated me well for a few years.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Sep 10, 2020, 03:11 PM »
Look to ice hopper's from Sportsmen Direct. Just as good if not better than Kahtoolas. For about half the price.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Sep 11, 2020, 07:44 PM »
Sometimes I think I'm a cheap smack but really I'm just value minded. Had these for probably goin' on 30 years. I got 'em because the bright green latex tubing straps looked kinda cool.

ARCTIC SPURS

I found the the latex didn't last but barely 2 seasons and really didn't secure the spikes like I needed. In the 3rd season I replaced the failed green tubing with regular natural colored latex. That was even worse. Before the end of the 4th season I replaced the latex with round, multi-filament rubber bungee you can buy very inexpensively by the foot at most camping supply stores. Got way over 10 seasons on the bungee plus they fit more snugly than the latex ever did. I just re-did them 3 seasons ago because the "standard length" I copied from the original latex was almost impossible to get on over my Cabelas TA III boots. Simple adjustment and I'm good to go for another 10 years or better. You don't even need a hog ring to secure the bungee unless you need/want it to look "professional". I used stripped 12 awg solid copper wire wrapped very tightly 3 times without a failure.

I know, they don't have heel-to-toe gripping and they are not a sexy choice. But they don't ice up where they won't work, clear easily if they do pick up a bit and are good enough steel to bang around quite a bit without getting all bent up. Geez, they aren't too different a design wise than the cheapest creeper you can get. Yet they have done the job for me for decades without fail once modded with bungee.

I won't mess with buckles, don't believe Velcro will hold up well in icy conditions, won't have a rubber webbed thing that fits over the boot because rubber deteriorates over time and bungee is way cheaper to replace than the entire creeper/spike deal. Mine ain't broke (any more), and call me a cheap smack, but I'm good.  ;)2

are they Red Green specials? What is that gripper made from?
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline LSE138

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Sep 11, 2020, 08:16 PM »
are they Red Green specials? What is that gripper made from?
They are called K&E Ice Chisel Boot Cleats:
https://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/ke-ice-chisel-boot-cleats/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.