Author Topic: Best Thermal Tip-Up?  (Read 1244 times)

Offline PikePetersen

• IceShanty Rookie
Best Thermal Tip-Up?
« on: Jul 13, 2020, 01:04 PM »
Fishing primarily for walleye in < 50 FOW, and frequently in single digit temps or lower so holes freezing over is a concern.

Are the orange round Frabill tip ups the best option? I have a few and they seem to work well, but wondering if there's anything better out there.
- Trigger could be better (I've considered using a dremel to make a better detent)
- Shaft on the newest ones is hard to pull down from storage to fishing mode

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best Thermal Tip-Up?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2020, 01:17 PM »
https://finickyfooler.com/products their hole cover is top notch - use whatever tip up or rigging setup you want. I've used a fooler down to 10 degrees with no freeze ups using diy black foam hole covers

Catchin' Fish

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2020, 01:21 PM »
I think a good style H style tip up along with a good closed cellfoam hole cover would be better investment in the long run . More trip sensitivity settings ..get ones with a wind trip mechanism and adjustable height .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2020, 04:00 PM »
I think the round frabill tipups are crap.at least the black ones with the hard plastic flags.end up with wind flags all Day long.jmo but I kicked my bro in laws down a hole one day.Some regular tipups with hole covers work great.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2020, 12:52 PM »
Any kind you can re lube once a year work great.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2020, 07:44 PM »
https://finickyfooler.com/products their hole cover is top notch - use whatever tip up or rigging setup you want. I've used a fooler down to 10 degrees with no freeze ups using diy black foam hole covers

X2 regarding the FF covers - they work well with my Beaver Dam tip ups.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2020, 07:11 AM »
I like the HT Predator tip up. It has a large metal spool and you can adjust the drag.

Like Hardwater said, use a hole cover. I ordered 24" x 24" interlocking mats from Amazon, used a 5 gallon pail as a template to cut out the circle. I cut the foam with a pair of scissors, used a 1 1/2" hole saw to cut out the middle, then made a cut from the perimeter to the hole in the middle. Takes 5 minutes to make.

https://www.scheels.com/p/ht-enterprises-predator-tip-up/02933301429.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqPSolpvP6gIV5QiICR2B_ADCEAQYAiABEgKWlfD_BwE

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2020, 11:24 AM »
I guess I don’t understand the obsession for huge or metal spools. I’ve been using Tips ups since they were legal in Minnesota and never broken a plastic spool. I know there’s a lot of you beaver dam people out there but they’re so hard to get apart to re-lube they just lose their appeal to me. I really love my cheap HT’s and frabills that I relube once a year and they are as smooth this is the day I bought them.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2020, 02:25 PM »
I think a good style H style tip up along with a good closed cellfoam hole cover would be better investment in the long run . More trip sensitivity settings ..get ones with a wind trip mechanism and adjustable height .]

I use these tip ups and 12” carpet squares, cut on one side to center.  I typically fish in 0+ temps and holes don’t ice up. Good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.