Author Topic: Frabill thermal tip ups remove spool from the shaft  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live fishing Die fishing
Frabill thermal tip ups remove spool from the shaft
« on: Jul 11, 2020, 01:27 PM »
I have several frabill pro thermal tip ups and wad wondering if i could remove the old spool and attach ht enterprises tip up spools

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Frabill thermal tip ups remove spool from the shaft
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2020, 11:45 AM »
I think most any mod is doable with the proper amount of planning and work. My question would be, "Why?". I have not seen the Frabill spools in person but pics seem to show them a little thicker than the HT plastic ones. I am a big Polar fan but my one knock is their plastic spools. They can be a little "flimsy" and I've broken a few over the years. On the up side, they are cheap and easy to replace.

If you're looking to jump ship so you can get HTs little wind up handle I think there are solutions to use the existing Frabill spools. If you've broken one and can't find Frabill replacements, well, that's a little different.

Do the Frabill spools unscrew or are they pressed on? Could you post a pic of the spool and how it is foxed to the shaft? Now IS a great time to go over ice equipment, implementing mods or repairs  ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2020, 11:51 AM »
I plan on getting larger spools ht tip up spool 1500 ft so i can have them set up for pike but if i ever want to go deeper i dont have to be concerned

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2020, 11:56 AM »
When i removed the spool shaft it appeared to be built in but was curious if you guys knew also im using power pro would i ever have to worry about replacing line

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2020, 12:36 PM »
 A better solution HT Enterprises FRT-1 Frontier Tip-up..has a drag system ..get two... set up with large baits and some closed cell foam hole covers. That 1500 ft spool is huge 4 in diameter ..not gonna tuck into the thermal base .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2020, 01:24 PM »
Is there anything i can do to attach them became i love the tip ups I have and already learned how to not get false flags

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2020, 02:32 PM »
When i removed the spool shaft it appeared to be built in but was curious if you guys knew also im using power pro would i ever have to worry about replacing line

Cant comment on the Power Pro ..but tip up line ie Dacron is pretty resilient lasts a lot of years.

Is there anything i can do to attach them became i love the tip ups I have and already learned how to not get false flags

If the spool is pressed on ..not certain there is much you can do ..I guess you could get the Frabill spool off and attempt to press on the 1500 foot spool ..or may be tap some treads onto the shaft ...my concern is the diameter of the hole in the 1500 ft spool . I think it is way to large for it to fit snugly on to the Frabill shaft. Do you have any other tip ups with a threaded spool end ..maybe able to Frankenstein some pieces to accomplish the task.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2020, 02:35 PM »
Good point

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2020, 02:37 PM »
Most stock spools hold around 50 yards of 30 - 36# Dacron. That's 150 feet give or take. I'm not sure why you would need a 1500 foot spool for pike. I do a pile of pike fishing and only twice have I been nearly spooled. If you're watching your rigs and have appropriate tackle a regular spool should handle 99% of your needs. Besides, as noted by hwd, it is a giant spool and won't have the low profile when you store your tipups.

You can use a superline (PowerPro etal.) for your spool but I've never heard a good reason for that. Especially if you're looking at filling a giant spool the cost alone would be prohibitive. For me, unless you went to 100# or better (to get an appropriate line diameter for handling) superlines are too thin to handle well in the cold. There's good reasons for the 30# Dacron standard: a 50 yd filler spool roughly fills a regular tipup spool, it's thick enough to handle well in the cold without too much tangling and it is comparatively cheap. Additionally I've got some Dacron on tipups that has been there mebbe over 10 years. Dacron doesn't dry rot like nylon or breakdown like mono. Sure, superline will last for probably 5,000 years but I don't need that. So replacement for you would mean not in your lifetime  ;)2

I am curious as to your reasons for wanting such a huge spool capacity for pike and how you got talked into using a superline on your rig.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2020, 02:50 PM »
I just think it would be because the finger lakes get deep or should the flag freeze and not trip I don’t have to worry and I would be set for life with those tip ups

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2020, 03:04 PM »
Mono will cut you up fluorocarbon is expensive and ive used braid also has little memory while mono or fluorocarbon will end up with like bird’s nest have actually had success tying straight to the hook with braid

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jul 12, 2020, 04:23 PM »

Here is image of spool with shaft

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #12 on: Jul 12, 2020, 06:34 PM »
Esox fisherman I have an older HT Enterprises Windlass tipup the bolt/shaft used on that tipup is 3/16 inch. I may be wrong but hopefully HT uses the same size shaft on all their tipups so spools will be changeable between tipups. Now that you have one Fabrill disassembled you could try putting the shaft into a vise to hold it while you try to unscrew the spool from shaft if the spool will not move then it is probably press fit or glued to the shaft. I have also heard of folks getting bad cuts with braid if the line gets wrapped around a finger or they apply to much pressure to the line while passing the line between thumb and index finger and using those fingers as an improvised drag.
 Steve

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jul 12, 2020, 06:48 PM »
I think it is press fitted do you guys have any ideas

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jul 12, 2020, 07:09 PM »
I do also have one ht predator pro thermal tip up and was wondering if the spool shaft came off that one so i could see if they are the same size

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jul 12, 2020, 08:14 PM »
I do also have one ht predator pro thermal tip up and was wondering if the spool shaft came off that one so i could see if they are the same size

HT may be bolted to the shaft as opposed to being pressed on ...this may be the answer your looking for ..you may be able to swap out the entire shaft ...

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jul 13, 2020, 06:02 AM »
So i have to but several new spool shafts do you know where i can buy them

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #17 on: Jul 13, 2020, 07:30 AM »
I know you like your Frabills but I'd blow 'em out and go get me these: PREDATOR PRO THERMAL HOLE COVER TIP UP HI-VIZ GREEN W/500 FT SPOOL and be done with it. Unless you feel like doing a lot of modifications. Kinda like droppin' a Mopar big block in a Ford Pinto.

Shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Just my opinion...

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jul 13, 2020, 08:24 AM »
I actually have one of those and i still get false flags with those and the frabill  makes it much easier to spool and im a stubborn person As well as got a sweet deal i have a total of 6 tip ups with 5 of them being the frabill

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jul 13, 2020, 08:25 AM »
I also got 2 of them free
I have also asked frabill
I have talked to ht enterprises and they were going to look into it

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jul 13, 2020, 09:04 AM »
I know you like your Frabills but I'd blow 'em out and go get me these: PREDATOR PRO THERMAL HOLE COVER TIP UP HI-VIZ GREEN W/500 FT SPOOL and be done with it. Unless you feel like doing a lot of modifications. Kinda like droppin' a Mopar big block in a Ford Pinto.

Shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Just my opinion...

If you are dead set on a insulate hole cover style tip up with 200 plus feet of line this would be the way to go ..but as stated above I have had issues with the Frabill hole cover style tip up ..flags not tripping ..for numerous reasons . You have limited trip settings as well . If my prey was large fish I would like multiple trip settings and a tall flag and a drag . The link for the HT Frontier above has all that.. add a hole cover and your set . But also 1500 ft of line is a lot of line ..and if your adding the Power Pro line (which is not recommended)  that an expensive venture .

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jul 13, 2020, 09:24 AM »
What line should i use because tip up lines are junk they tangle

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jul 13, 2020, 09:27 AM »
I have the best performance with power pro  also will be a while before i get the money

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #23 on: Jul 13, 2020, 03:08 PM »
All I ask of my spool line is:

1. Thick enough to handle well with cold hands

2. Durable over half a dozen seasons or more

3. Relatively tangle-free if you mind what you're doing with your line and the wind

4. I'm a value minded guy (call me a cheap smack if you like  ;)) and see no reason to spend $10 or more to fill a 50 yard spool
    when I can do it for <$5

As for the real performance, a coupla feet of suitable leader on the business end takes care of that. Please don't say you're convinced that PowerPro, or any superline for that matter, is a great leader for pike. Guaranteed disappointment at some juncture. Guaranteed.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jul 13, 2020, 03:10 PM »
I have 100 lb fluorocarbon but I could straighten it if i tied iy to two bulldozers and them drive in opposite directions 

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jul 13, 2020, 03:49 PM »
once you figure out how to remove the spool and if you can get a new spool on, the line guide will not let you use a larger spool. you will have to replace that as well.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jul 13, 2020, 03:56 PM »
Thank you guy with perch photo

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Jul 13, 2020, 04:57 PM »

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Jul 13, 2020, 05:12 PM »
Another option to consider ..not certain how much larger the spool is but a Email to Clam can get you some answers

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/trophy-thermal-tip-up.html

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jul 14, 2020, 07:15 AM »
If you guys have both the frabill thermal and a beaver dam tip up could you guys please test something
Its just I thought this would be an interesting project and I would never have to about being spooled

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.