Author Topic: Summer fishing  (Read 1969 times)

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Summer fishing
« on: Jun 25, 2020, 11:12 AM »
Does anyone use a fishing kayak during the summer? I don't have a boat but would like to still get onto the water during the summer. I have had no luck with a few spots I've tried to shore fish and have been looking at getting a fishing kayak or a flat back canoe. Just wondering if anyone has used or uses a fishing kayak and if there are many cons to getting one? I'm thinking about getting one from Classic Outdoors here in stoon but the one i want is sold out.   :unsure:

Offline Timetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Summer fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2020, 01:06 PM »
How about getting a good inflatable boat, I have one and love it, very stable and compact to haul.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2020, 03:57 PM »
 funny, i was on the classic outdoors site last night looking at the same kayak.  i've never been on one but for fishing i'd spend the extra $$ and get one with pedals.  those wilderness systems ones are set up well for fishing and accessories...that's the way i'd go.  heard classic outdoors is a good place to deal with but you might want to try fresh air experience as well, pretty sure they have fishing kayaks.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2020, 09:45 AM »
funny, i was on the classic outdoors site last night looking at the same kayak.  i've never been on one but for fishing i'd spend the extra $$ and get one with pedals.  those wilderness systems ones are set up well for fishing and accessories...that's the way i'd go.  heard classic outdoors is a good place to deal with but you might want to try fresh air experience as well, pretty sure they have fishing kayaks.
I had a look at fresh air and they also have nice items but everything was in and local for me at classic outdoors. Great people working there too. Very helpful. I ended up getting the atak 120. So far so good. Had it out on deif last week in the wind and waves and it did well. But the best was this past week. Lots of fish and quiet lakes. Got it all set up with the helix 5 and now to build a mount for a small troller and other mods.
If anyone also kayak fishes I'd like to meet up and learn a bit more.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2020, 09:34 AM »
been meaning to try and catch one from the kayak but the boat always calls my name

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2020, 09:53 AM »
Best to buy a sit on top. Make sure it has a nice seat such as a framed seat.
The longer the better.

I fly fish from mine. I bought 4 kayaks so far. Stealth mode fishing is great!

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2020, 02:23 PM »
been meaning to try and catch one from the kayak but the boat always calls my name
I've never had a boat to whisper sweet and softly to me. Maybe next year.
I am very happy I picked up the yak though. Quite a bit more then I initially wanted to spend but so worth it. I got the ATAK 120 and have my helix 5 GPS chirp in it. Picked up some accessories so go with it as well.
I took my 6 year old daughter out last month in it and it worked great. I had her side in the front and use the hatch as back rest so we were looking at each other. She jigged and I flipped baits. Going to be rigging up a small troller with foot controls this winter.
I think when you buy something like this you often buy into a community. So far anyone i meet on the water in a yak are very friendly and willing to assist. I also saved a boat after they launched it but the rope they had wasn't tied off to the boat. soooo that was funny. Me kayaking and towing a boat with no one in it for about 50 yards.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2020, 03:58 PM »
that sounds pretty cool

we go for paddles and the little ones will sit in the storage compartments   super fun

ill catch a few next summer for sure   try to at least

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.