Author Topic: Burbot spot ??  (Read 2604 times)

Offline fnsdeuce

• IceShanty Rookie
Burbot spot ??
« on: Mar 24, 2020, 07:49 PM »
so the season nearly over and I'm wondering the best place to catch a burbot ....truth is I've never caught on myself nor has my wife...
anyone willing to share some wisdom...maybe a spot Or depth to target ....
TIA

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Burbot spot ??
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2020, 08:02 PM »
Don't know the coordinates of any good spots on your lakes, but can tell you how we do it.

Find a large shelf with a gradual slope from shore into 30-50 feet that then drops off quickly into deep water.

Drill all your holes, and start fishing before dark along the deep edge of the shelf.  As the bite picks up, move further onto the shelf.  We catch them as shallow as five feet under the ice once it has been dark for a while.

During the day we catch them as deep as 150 feet, along with lake trout and the occasional inconnu.

You might want to take a look at this thread as well:  https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=332612.0

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.
Ted

Offline fnsdeuce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2020, 08:26 PM »
thanks

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2020, 08:35 PM »
dief and lml pump out lots of burbot, truth be told i bet most lakes in sask have some in them.  fish from dusk until you get tired or bored.  they'll be shallower than usual right now but you can still catch them out to 70 fow. 

Offline slicktrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2020, 09:32 PM »
When I kept a shack on Candle I used to get quite a few in the evening out from fishers creek

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2020, 01:13 AM »
Hi slicktrick,
All great advice on burbot here. @)

This video from Matity's GetFishing will also give you a bit more info on ice fishing for burbot during the spawn. ---->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsYi8lV2JP4

Burbot are a great fish to catch as they are good fighters and good eating.
They like the codfish you buy in the store, just a bit more chewy.

During the spawn burbot are quite aggressive and will hit most lures in their area.
Bang the lures the bottom to make lots of noise and get their attention, when they come over slow down a bit and give little twitches to seal the deal.

When the spawn is in full swing a person can sometimes catch large numbers of them, but, just like any other fish, the big females should go back to ensure the population stays healthy. ;)

While burbot spawn is happening you may also catch whitefish or tullibee/cisco, who are in there eating the burbot eggs.
Pike are usually present as well, eating the burbot, cisco and whitefish.

Good Fishing. :tipup:

WW

Offline YoungGun96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2020, 01:06 PM »
I noticed on last mountain the spawn is pretty much over where I was. Been catching them hard for almost 3 weeks. 21 feet of water, pound bottom and catch them first thing in the morning. The night bite can be good too. Pound bottom with something loud. Good luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.